Sick Calf ASAP Please

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a week old Angus/Char calf off my neighbor, he had clostrum,. The cow didn't have much milk is why he pulled him off. Anytime he takes a calf off of the cow he gives them 2 doses of Draxxin 2 days apart, otherwise he said they tend to get peumonia and die. Anyway he gave me 4 doses of Draxxin in case I needed them. Last night they calf was sounding stuffy, so I gave him 1ml Draxxin he probably weighs 70 pounds. This morning he drank his bottle super slow and he sounds worse. I've never used Draxxin before, because it costs $800 for 100ml bottle. Then I looked up Draxxin and it says it lasts for 2 weeks... In a calf's system.. (should have looked it up sooner I know). Any suggestions for the calf? Is he having a bad reaction to so many doses of Draxxin in a week's time? Does he need a different antibiotic? I gave him probiotics. His poop looks fine.

Hi, I bought a week old Angus/Char calf off my neighbor, he had clostrum,. The cow didn't have much milk is why he pulled him off. Anytime he takes a calf off of the cow he gives them 2 doses of Draxxin 2 days apart, otherwise he said they tend to get peumonia and die. Anyway he gave me 4 doses of Draxxin in case I needed them. Last night they calf was sounding stuffy, so I gave him 1ml Draxxin he probably weighs 70 pounds. This morning he drank his bottle super slow and he sounds worse. I've never used Draxxin before, because it costs $800 for 100ml bottle. Then I looked up Draxxin and it says it lasts for 2 weeks... In a calf's system.. (should have looked it up sooner I know). Any suggestions for the calf? Is he having a bad reaction to so many doses of Draxxin in a week's time? Does he need a different antibiotic? I gave him probiotics. His poop looks fine.
No more antibiotics. He's glowing.
Try some Recover antihistamine and Banamine. Maybe some vitamin B.

I have banamine and B vitamin. I didn't figure he needed more antibiotics, but I thought I'd ask.

I agree with the above-I love Draxxin, but I couldn't imagine giving so much so quickly. If it hasn't done the job-there's not a job for it to do. I think I'd give some Vitamin B and just keep the little one comfortable and dry.

I wish I hadn't have given it to him, I didn't have a clue it was long lasting in their system, I didn't think to check until I had already dosed him , the guy has hundreds of head of cattle so I thought if it was long lasting he wouldn't have said to give it every 2 days. I've never done something this Stupid with medicine before.... I'm kicking myself, I hope he will be ok....

Will the Banamine help counter act the Draxxin? Or is it to help the inflammation in his lungs? His system is already Overloaded from my Stupidity, is adding Banamine going to add to the load?

The vets on here can correct me, but you won't do harm to the calf from too much antibiotics other than killing stomach bugs that would be best left alive but you have given probiotics so you're on the right track there. If the Draxxin doesn't seem to be working then there is the possibility that the problem is viral rather than microbial. The antibiotics will prevent secondary infection which is often the killer.
The NSAID will help with inflammation and comfort.
I didn't see if you mentioned what the calf's temp is?

Thank you All of you for all of the advice! Last night his temperature was 102.8 I was going by how his lungs sounded and the guys advice, my vet wasn't open when I fed him the third time and he sounded worse than that afternoon, and I didn't want to wait until my vet opened this morning. When I saw that he was worse this morning, I decided to ask you all on this forum, because my vet wasn't open for the day yet. He gets 5 quarts of fresh cow milk split into 3 feedings. He didn't have a fever this morning 102.5, he has a big dog blanket on him.

Keep him warm dry and liquified. If at all possible be sure he is up and moves around when he eats to insure the
muscles develop.

Will the Banamine help counter act the Draxxin? Or is it to help the inflammation in his lungs? His system is already Overloaded from my Stupidity, is adding Banamine going to add to the load?
The Banamine will help with the inflammation and act as a pick-me-up to make him feel better.

Ok im going to give him Banamine here in a few minutes. I called my vet and she said always give a shot of Banamine with Draxxin.
Banamine Transdermal is the bomb!! It's a pour-on a lasts 3 days. I always give Banamine with Draxxin but my vet got me the new Draxxin KP this year, which has Ketoprofen (a NSAID) already in it. One 'n done! Similar to Resflor Gold as opposed to Nuflor plus Banamine.

Good luck with your little guy!

I will ask her about Both of those, thank you for the suggestion! He's better than yesterday! He drank his bottle down without stopping and I had to put him back in his pen, because he followed me out. He mooed at me after he finished his milk. He still sounds congested but he doesn't have a fever and his nose isn't all snotty like yesterday. If I remember to I will get a picture of him when I feed him again. We got just over 2 inches of rain overnight, but thankfully he stayed in his hut and kept his blanket on.

Latest posts