Are all brand protein tubs about the same?

Help Support CattleToday:

jloftin60

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm the new guy on the block.
My question is, with all the different brands of protein supplement tubs like Crystalyx, Feed In A Drum, Positive Feed, and etc.
Which brand seems to stand out and give more bang for the buck? I have good forage, minerals, hay and water, but I want
that little extra boost to keep them performing well.

Crystalix has a tub for just about every thing. I've always used Crystalix,and always had good results. The Co/op quit selling crystlic brand and started sell their own brand. The co/op brand seemed like it got gone a little to quick. I think I'll stay with crystalix. Plus the metal tub has 101 uses

oscar p":24qr1wyw said:
Crystalix has a tub for just about every thing. I've always used Crystalix,and always had good results. The Co/op quit selling crystlic brand and started sell their own brand. The co/op brand seemed like it got gone a little to quick. I think I'll stay with crystalix. Plus the metal tub has 101 uses

ditto on what you said except for the dang tub. I'd prefer plastic. ;-)

TexasBred":27cd1v0s said:
oscar p":27cd1v0s said:

ditto on what you said except for the dang tub. I'd prefer plastic. ;-)
I prefer the plastic also. Makers really good pots to plant veggies in... or flowers ...lol
Valerie

Maybe I'm cheap or old fashioned but if you have good forage, minerals, and hay then why do you need a protein tub? The cows should be getting what they need from the hay and forage. To much protein is not a good thing, it will cause you problems. Also the less you spend feeding the more you keep in your pocket.

m&kCattle":hr55mc6k said:
Maybe I'm cheap or old fashioned but if you have good forage, minerals, and hay then why do you need a protein tub? The cows should be getting what they need from the hay and forage. To much protein is not a good thing, it will cause you problems. Also the less you spend feeding the more you keep in your pocket.

They should but unless you have everything tested for protein, energy, digestibility etc. you just don't know. Don't know about your area but most of the hay put up in my area is not that good and neither is grazing unless it's fertilized every year. If all they're eating is junk they can starve to death with a full belly.

Good point, I was guilty of forgetting not everyone is from Pennsylvania. I do think it is a good idea to test your hay and forage tough so you know what your feeding. Supplements are not bad, guess I kinda came across as saying that. They just get overused sometimes in my opinion.

m&kCattle":24cubvt5 said:
Good point, I was guilty of forgetting not everyone is from Pennsylvania. I do think it is a good idea to test your hay and forage tough so you know what your feeding. Supplements are not bad, guess I kinda came across as saying that. They just get overused sometimes in my opinion.
Absolutely some overfeed but they enjoy it. I'm probably guilty as well. Excess protein is not that much of a problem except you are literally "PiSSing" your money off if they don't need it.

Latest posts