Apple cider vinegar

Help Support CattleToday:

There is a book that you should read its called "What I Know About Raising Cattle That Jose Luiz Doesn't Know" it's about a thousand pages long. Amazon has it. I can't remember who the author is, but I think they post here.

Jose I'll bet a bucket of pi$$ against a pacing rooster you don't even have a H.S. degree so let's stop that crap..it means nothing....Sit and learn like the rest of us. Put some boiled eggs in your vinegar with a few jalapenos and you'll have some good pickled eggs....best use I've found for the stuff yet.

TexasBred":yhjmi5xy said:
Jose I'll bet a bucket of pi$$ against a pacing rooster you don't even have a H.S. degree so let's stop that crap..it means nothing....Sit and learn like the rest of us. Put some boiled eggs in your vinegar with a few jalapenos and you'll have some good pickled eggs....best use I've found for the stuff yet.
Best to use cayenne instead of jalapeno. Counters the cholesterol from the eggs ;-)

Jose Luiz":7zmxfsfr said:
There is no hokus pokus here, Sir. I do have a Master Degree from one of the best agricultural universities in the USA which is MSU and I know what I am talking about whether someones likes it or not.
I also do have other academic degrees and if you want to use this yardstick I can guarantee you will loose.
ACV is a good thing. Period.
Traditional usage for centuries speaks highly on its behalf. Period.
If you want to talk about cost then is a totally different issue but if you don't have money to buy ACV
you better look for another activity rather than raising farm animals..
I also do not need any sort of encouragement as suggested by one of the participants in this forum.
In fact I don't need any.
I just felt compelled to write because I happen to notice the arrogant tone of one of the participants towards a person who got good results with ACV and inocently and candidly wanted to share his findings with the everyone.
I have found the answer to the person who generated this link (ACV) totally unecessary and out of proportion to say the least. I bet 100% he (or she) is Magnesium defficient and/or have a bad liver.
You definitely would't see more on this list because like in a chicken house you also have your hierarchy and the gurus tells you what is right and what is wrong . Below the gurus you have another
class that are the guys who always praise the word of the gurus. There is a terminology that properly describes this kind of person but I will not use it here.
I simply don't have time for that.
Sorry for any misunderstanding I might have caused and goodbye.

Jose Luiz

You seem to have it all figured out. It's taken me over a year to figure out, that when ever you cross that conventional line that the masses follow, you will be mocked, ridiculed, and made to look like an idiot by a few, but then again I guess thats the American way. I've learned in my short life to take the humble approach to any new idea or concept because when we get to where we know it all...we stop learning and growing. And as the Good Book says..."He has set the simple things in this world to confound the wise"

banjo,
I'm classically trained as a 'scientist' - but I maintain an open mind to 'alternative treatment modalities' - if there is some evidence, beyond anecdote, that they are helpful.
I routinely use acupuncture, lasers, and some herbal compounds/spices - but there's some hard evidence supporting what these do. I'm not throwing out 'western' medicine, but using the 'alternatives' as an adjunct therapy.
That said, despite glowing anecdotal reports/claims made by the purveyors of apple cider vinegar as a miracle-working elixir, diatomaceous earth & garlic as 'natural' dewormers, etc., they've been subjected to scientific scrutiny, and found lacking any substantiation for the claims made.

Lucky_P":29c48zab said:
banjo,
I'm classically trained as a 'scientist' - but I maintain an open mind to 'alternative treatment modalities' - if there is some evidence, beyond anecdote, that they are helpful.
I routinely use acupuncture, lasers, and some herbal compounds/spices - but there's some hard evidence supporting what these do. I'm not throwing out 'western' medicine, but using the 'alternatives' as an adjunct therapy.
That said, despite glowing anecdotal reports/claims made by the purveyors of apple cider vinegar as a miracle-working elixir, diatomaceous earth & garlic as 'natural' dewormers, etc., they've been subjected to scientific scrutiny, and found lacking any substantiation for the claims made.
Funny you should mention acupuncture. In the early 70s there was a vet in southern cal doing acupuncture on horses. It didn;t always work but it was amazing some of the positive results she had.

Lucky_P":38h03s62 said:
banjo,
Good answer and its ok to disagree, there just seems to be a few on here that can't just disagree in a kind way, they gotta gang jump on someone with a different mind set and hoot em outa town. Like I said before, farmers who do everything "just buy the book" have just as many problems and issues as those who don't. All you gotta do is look at every post on this board ......every day its something new, a lot of things I have never dealt with or heard of....and by farmers who do "everything just right".

Lucky_P":1oromgy4 said:
banjo,
Lucky, it's a case of 'if something is repeated often enough, it is accepted to be a truism".
This is not my first go around with these claims, tho it is on this board. You see a lot more of it on hobby farm and back yard farm type boards, where only 1-3 animals per member are the norm, and Lawd help ya if you say anything to the contrary.

I have read a couple of "experiments" in which breeders of various species have shown these alternatives--specifically large seeds such as pumpkin and squash seed, garlic and ACV showed to be somewhat efficient as a parasite repellant/preventative, but they were both performed under optimal conditions. Above average grass height, dry soil conditions, very clean premises, and a very small fecal count in the test animals to begin with. IOW, the "test" conditions were pre-loaded and biased to obtain the desired results. Under those conditions and parameters, giving nothing at all, as an anti-parasite treatment would have resulted in the exact same conclusion. If ya don't have a parasite problem to begin with, you can feed 'em peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and claim the same thing.
But dang--it sure sounds good don't it? A relatively cheap, all natural, easy to administer, non toxic, non invasive, zero trace parasite preventative. Almost sounds too good to be true--kinda like some of the TV ads we see on late night TV on any number of miracle non-drugs.

GB, just tie an asphidity bag around the neck of each animal. Will keep worms, mosquitos, flys and ghosts away from them. :lol2:

Agreed, greybeard.
I've seen trainwrecks when folks bought into the unsubstantiated hype; especially with small ruminants(goats & sheep).
DE, garlic, pumpkin seeds, etc. are not effective internal parasite control methods - but if some faceless entity on the Internet says that their goats could run faster, jump higher, had shinier coats, etc., well... that's got to mean more than an unbiased scientific evaluation, right? 'Cause we all know that they're funded by the big drug companies, right? Wrong.

Have also seen some real wrecks with cattle, when well-meaning folks give faulty advice to newbies who have no prior experience.
One that sticks in my mind was a young couple just getting started who were raising dairy calves; a well-meaning neighbor told them, "Those calves will do just fine on 10% horse & mule feed, and it's cheaper than that 16% calf-grower." Well, no they don't - a growing calf needs more than 10% protein to build bone & muscle, and the Ca:p balance in that horse & mule feed isn't right for a growing calf - as they found out, when these calves hit about 400 lbs and started having femoral & spinal fractures.

Most posters here at CT are pretty knowledgeable, but from time to time, I see some 'dangerous' recommendations put forward.

OK, something we do that works for us is pour in a bucket a dollop of cheap hair conditioner (like Suave) and a half cup of regular vinegar, then add about a half gallon of water to the bucket to mix it all up, poor it over the back from rear to ear, and the flies seem to leave the cattle alone. We do this to our show cattle since we work them daily, and do not want the hair coat greased up with fly spray. It is a cheap and easy fly repellant for us, and it works. Not practical for some, but those that want to try it will find it works. Must be the smell that repels the flies... I know it makes my nose curl!
Lucky, any reason it would not work?

fsr,
I dunno - if it's working, who am I to say NO? Certainly may be the aroma of the vinegar, or perhaps some component of the hair conditioner. Neither should be harmful to the animal, and if it seems to repel flies, go for it.

I use vinegar and water half and half in a spray bottle on horses for flies. It doesn't work real long. I just use it for shoeing etc. In the short run it works better than fly repellant. In the long run its not so good.

Sorry, wasn't the correct video, he only touches on the info there. I'll try to find the correct one. Not sure it works, just remember seeing the info and thought I'd share.

A Minister decided that a visual demonstration would add
emphasis to his Sunday Sermon. Four worms were placed
into four separate jars. The first worm was put into a
jar of alcohol - or maybe it was apple cider vinegar!
The second worm was put into a jar of
cigarette smoke. The third worm was put into a jar of
sperm. The fourth worm was put into a jar of good clean
soil.

At the conclusion of the Sermon, the Minister reported
the following results:
The first worm in alcohol (or ACV) - dead.
Second worm in cigarette smoke - dead.
Third worm in sperm - dead.
Fourth worm in good clean soil - Alive.

So the Minister asked the congregation, "What can you learn
from this demonstration? A little old woman in the back
quickly raised her hand and said, "As long as you drink,
smoke and have sex, you won't have worms.

I dont know if vinegar will work or not, but what I do know is things do pass through the stomach and eventually out through the blood and or sweat glands. Here is an experiement yhou can try to prove it. Take a bottle of tequila and drink it tonight. Run a couple of miles in the mornign and see if your sweat doesnt smell like the tequila, lol.

On a more scientific note. How do you think oral flea medications work? How do you think front line works? Its absorbed through the skin and into the blood stream.

Latest posts