Apple cider vinegar

Help Support CattleToday:

I have heard and read about the benefits of apple cider vinegar. If you believe that it will help, you have to use the real stuff, not the apple flavored vinegar that is sold by the gallon at the grocery stores. Real apple cider vinegar does have to be refrigerated.

If the vinegar odor is excreted through sweating, I would think that people would have to be careful about consuming it too.

I do believe Lucky P is a DVM as well if I recall. Now that don't make him an expert on vinegar but I betcha the pee in the ear might get some results.

LOL, Anazazi. That's funny right there, 'specially if you're me! (Lucky pee)

David - How do I know about vinegar, physiology, and nutrition?
I have a B.S. in Microbiology - including work in industrial, food, and environmental microbiology.
Earned my D.V.M. and spent several years in mixed/predominantly food-animal practice before I went back for a post-graduate residency in Veterinary Pathology.
20+ years of experience as a veterinary pathologist, working in a fully-accredited diagnostic laboratory, with caseload consisting primarily of food animals.
Have been around beef and dairy cattle all my life; have had my own herd of beef cattle for over 25 years, have raised hundreds of dairy calves through the years, messed around with goats for a few years while I was in college. Never had any pigs, but I've sure worked on a bunch of 'em.

I don't know everything - but I do know some things.
I know how vinegar is made; I know the bacteria that make it, how they make it, and what they make it from. I know what's in it and what's not in it. I know what it will and WON'T do in an animal's system.
The article I linked does a decent job of debunking many of the unsubstantiated 'health' claims that purveyors of the apple cider vinegar 'cures' put forward. Take a few minutes to read it. Ignorance is not a crime, but you don't have to remain in that state.

I may have been...Oh, how shall I phrase it...less diplomatic than is my usual style, from the outset. Maybe you caught me on a bad day... nah; I just wasn't in a mood to suffer bogus claims.
I'm old and crusty enough that I don't have any qualms about calling BS when it's warranted, and I'll point out that the Emperor has no clothes if he's jay-bird nekkid. If you can't substantiate your claims with some concrete proof, don't get all huffy if I - or anyone else - call you on it - and you came out of the gate proclaiming you had no proof.

regolith - yes, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar - but if catching flies is you want, a dead possum works best!

:lol: :lol:

Okay, to be serious if I don't want to have my cows pestered with flies, that's what I do - set up a fly trap with some road kill.
If only I'd known all I had to do was give them vinegar!
So Lucky P, I've just been speaking to someone who has kelp powder that will stop my calves scouring...?

Somebody posted a while back that apple cider vinegar would make their cows have more hefer calves than bulls. Some people can be sold anything.
Blue Goose 1

Lucky_P":38w454ey said:
Yeah, and you can pee in their ear, too - that won't hurt, will be cheaper than the vinegar, and be just as effective; 'specially if you wave some chicken feathers around, dance around a little and chant. Maybe toss some dirt up in the air for effect.

and do a fly prayer and other incantations, that keeps the flies off of my dogs; like you said lucky, ignorance doesen't have to be a permanant condition........

Well I know nothing of the science behind it, and to be honest I don't care whether or not it works scientifically. What I do know is that anecdotally, apple cider vinegar and minced garlic in my goats water helps them maintain their weight and a healthy hair coat. It also promotes water intake as my girls really love the taste and will drink extra when its in the bucket, high water intake of course promotes higher milk output. I figure if it works, why change it? That's why I reckon if it works for the OP then keep doing it.

Keren":nj8w3iq7 said:
Well I know nothing of the science behind it, and to be honest I don't care whether or not it works scientifically. What I do know is that anecdotally, apple cider vinegar and minced garlic in my goats water helps them maintain their weight and a healthy hair coat. It also promotes water intake as my girls really love the taste and will drink extra when its in the bucket, high water intake of course promotes higher milk output. I figure if it works, why change it? That's why I reckon if it works for the OP then keep doing it.
Keren you've probably just got well managed, well nourished animals. Extra water over and above their needs only increases urine production. ;-)

TennesseeTuxedo":3gs3a8yh said:
I have a good barbecue recipe for pork ribs that uses apple cider vinegar. My uncle gave it to me an it's an old family secret he says.I don't have any cattle at the moment but next time I'm at my in-laws I might just add a gallon to the trough.
That and some hickory... make you want to slap yo grandmaw

Lucky_P":3nwi0w4v said:
LOL, Anazazi. That's funny right there, 'specially if you're me! (Lucky pee)

David - How do I know about vinegar, physiology, and nutrition?
I have a B.S. in Microbiology - including work in industrial, food, and environmental microbiology.
Earned my D.V.M. and spent several years in mixed/predominantly food-animal practice before I went back for a post-graduate residency in Veterinary Pathology.
20+ years of experience as a veterinary pathologist, working in a fully-accredited diagnostic laboratory, with caseload consisting primarily of food animals.
Have been around beef and dairy cattle all my life; have had my own herd of beef cattle for over 25 years, have raised hundreds of dairy calves through the years, messed around with goats for a few years while I was in college. Never had any pigs, but I've sure worked on a bunch of 'em.

I don't know everything - but I do know some things.
I know how vinegar is made; I know the bacteria that make it, how they make it, and what they make it from. I know what's in it and what's not in it. I know what it will and WON'T do in an animal's system.
The article I linked does a decent job of debunking many of the unsubstantiated 'health' claims that purveyors of the apple cider vinegar 'cures' put forward. Take a few minutes to read it. Ignorance is not a crime, but you don't have to remain in that state.

I may have been...Oh, how shall I phrase it...less diplomatic than is my usual style, from the outset. Maybe you caught me on a bad day... nah; I just wasn't in a mood to suffer bogus claims.
I'm old and crusty enough that I don't have any qualms about calling BS when it's warranted, and I'll point out that the Emperor has no clothes if he's jay-bird nekkid. If you can't substantiate your claims with some concrete proof, don't get all huffy if I - or anyone else - call you on it - and you came out of the gate proclaiming you had no proof.

regolith - yes, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar - but if catching flies is you want, a dead possum works best!

In the link you posted there was a link to a site about Hydrogen dioxide; a substance used among others in nuclear plants, dairies, and in biological weapons as well as schools and prisons! Apparently bad for your lungs in higher doses too... Many people wants too prohibit the substance too :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Keren,
I'm not telling you not to do the vinegar and garlic in the water - you're certainly able to do whatever you wish with your own animals. And I suspect TxBred nailed it - you probably have nice, well-nourished, well-managed animals.

But, are you able to back up your claim that your goats drink more, maintain their weights, and have shinier coats all because of the vinegar and garlic?
Have you separated your flock into equal numbers of similar size/aged animals in similar phases of production and subjected one group to consumption of plain old water, while the other group gets your vinegar/garlic concoction - and then objectively measured water intake, weight gain/maintenance, etc., among the groups so that you can make valid comparisons between the control group(water only) to the treatment group(vinegar/garlic)? If not, how do you know?
If you're providing this to all the animals in the flock, you may be drawing invalid conclusions about whether there really is any benefit. That's a common problem with anecdotal 'evidence' - oftentimes it's not really evidence.

As to hair shininess - I don't know how you'd measure coat luster unless you had some sort of light meter that would measure reflected light; otherwise, it's just an opinion and not a scientific fact.

B'lieve I'm about done whipping this dead horse.

Believe you missed a key word early in my post lucky, anecdotally. Its just an observation and I never made any claim that it was anything else. When my goats hop off the milk stand they have a choice of normal water, water with vinegar or water with vinegar and stockgain. They prefer the buckets with 'extras' over the plain water. And yes objectively speaking they appear to have softer and shinier hair coats than when I give the same individuals just plain water. I'm not saying you have to do it, I don't care what you do. Just saying it seems to help mine.

Keren":2esoz377 said:
Also just wanted to add I work in animal research so i'm fully aware of experimental design etc to achieve valid results. Which is why I'm not saying this is fact or research or anything. Just observation and experience.
Not unlike me picking the sweet tea or the unsweatened. ;-)

In the 60s the big deal was to give ACV in the water to increase the number of females born, We did it one year and had somehting like 4:1 females. The next year we did it and had about 4:1 males, did it the next year and ended up right at 50:50.

I don't know who's running around with feather up their butts singing like indian, but thats ya'll business. :lol:
wd-40
http://www.weusecoupons.com/upload/farm ... -cows.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... s_for.html

"you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." I always heard..."you get more bees with honey than vinegar." Heck I don't know I am not running around with feathers up my booty! :banana:
I am willin' to try it. I think I am fixin' to go try it out right now! LOL! Thanks for the trip! :tiphat: OH BY the way Mr sour puss dream crusher feather up your booty if you didn't like the man ideal you didn't have to pee on it! :roll: Play nice! 8)

Chevy":31kp3jeb said:
I don't know who's running around with feather up their butts singing like indian, but thats ya'll business. :lol:
wd-40
http://www.weusecoupons.com/upload/farm ... -cows.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... s_for.html

"you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." I always heard..."you get more bees with honey than vinegar." Heck I don't know I am not running around with feathers up my booty! :banana:
I am willin' to try it. I think I am fixin' to go try it out right now! LOL! Thanks for the trip! :tiphat: OH BY the way Mr sour puss dream crusher feather up your booty if you didn't like the man ideal you didn't have to pee on it! :roll: Play nice! 8)

A fool and his money are soon parted. Good luck bud.

Latest posts