Apple cider vinegar

Help Support CattleToday:

david922

Reaction score
I have no proof for this,but I put a gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar in 250 gal water trough every week for 11 cows ,and my cows look great, very few flies,they are on grass ,and very little feed, about 5 gal 10% feed 2 times a week.Cows drink the water very well.Thought I would share this with you. South Georgia

Thanks for sharing.
And your point is???

I don't put anything in the pond water that's piped by gravity-flow to my cattle's stock tanks, and they drink that water very well, too. They really like it. And without any added vinegar.
They've been eating grass and weeds - and no feed other than a balanced mineral mix - since they went out to stockpiled fescue in February. Without any $$$ spent on vinegar.

Now, if you had a similar group of cattle -and it would probably require more than 11 animals in each group to be a statistically significant number - pastured under the same conditions, without the added vinegar - and you had some objective measurements - like: increased weight gain, diminished number of flies(someone would have to count them on each group!), etc., in the group receiving vinegar - and you repeated the experiment several years in a row... THEN you could compare those objective measurements and MAYBE be able to make a claim that putting vinegar in their water provided some benefit - IF it offset the expense of the vinegar.
But, if you just come on here saying that you put some vinegar in their water and now they have shinier coats, can run faster and jump higher... well, as you said - you've got no proof of anything.

I have a good barbecue recipe for pork ribs that uses apple cider vinegar. My uncle gave it to me an it's an old family secret he says.

I don't have any cattle at the moment but next time I'm at my in-laws I might just add a gallon to the trough.

I never said that I had any proof,but I have not had to spray my cows for flies this summer.And 1 gal of Apple Cider Vinegar is only $4.29 per gal.

david922":ea2pxzot said:
I never said that I had any proof,but I have not had to spray my cows for flies this summer.And 1 gal of Apple Cider Vinegar is only $4.29 per gal.

might be worth a try, might work
all you stand to lose is 4.29

david922":3m5e8kvw said:

Can't hurt! :nod:

Yeah, and you can pee in their ear, too - that won't hurt, will be cheaper than the vinegar, and be just as effective; 'specially if you wave some chicken feathers around, dance around a little and chant. Maybe toss some dirt up in the air for effect.

Lucky_P":1gihaztt said:
Yeah, and you can pee in their ear, too - that won't hurt, will be cheaper than the vinegar, and be just as effective; 'specially if you wave some chicken feathers around, dance around a little and chant. Maybe toss some dirt up in the air for effect.

or maybe you can stick one of them feathers up your a$$ and we'll both be tickled

No thanks, I don't believe that I'd care for that, but feel free to do it to yourself if you wish.
I just wasn't in a mood to suffer unsubstantiated, anecdotal claims.
If david922 wants to squander $$$ on vinegar, he's welcome to do so - and if he thinks his cows are benefitting - well, good for him; it's still a free country.
Gasoline is less than $4.29 a gallon; I'll save my hard-earned money to buy gas.

Health claims attributed to vinegar abound - but,for the most part, they are totally unsubstantiated, and usually just rely on the overwhelming ignorance of the vast majority of the public in matters relating to science, nutrition, physiology, etc.
Vinegar's pretty innocuous, especially when you dilute that one gallon of 5% acetic acid solution in 250 gallons of water - but it isn't a miracle, and it's absolutely not the reason that david922 hasn't felt the need to spray his cows for flies this summer.
(Edit) Or, maybe it IS the reason he hasn't felt the need - but it's not the reason that there are fewer flies (IF there are fewer than normal).

cross_7":1p3fr1ny said:
david922":1p3fr1ny said:

might be worth a try, might work
all you stand to lose is 4.29

I used to use it for my horses would top dress their grain with a few table spoons of AC Vinegar and took care of the flies. Never thought about using it for my cows.....I have a Mirfount Auto waterer tho so that won't work....wonder if the cows would would eat it on grain?

Can anyone try to tell me exactly what the vinegar is supposed to do? How it is working?

Anazazi, It's strictly a blind faith and belief thing. If a lie is repeated often enough, some will come to accept it as truth.

"Its benefits come down to a magical "aliveness" and beliefs in an unseen, unmeasurable vital energy that negates all known laws of physics."
"Nutritional analysis of vinegar, including apple cider vinegar, quickly shows that it is not a good source of any nutrient."

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/200 ... cider.html

goodness knows, but the old folks obviously knew its properties as the old saying goes "catch more flies with honey than vinegar"

If you read the small print, you're supposed to keep it in the fridge. I got a shock to realise that I was cooking with the contents of a bottle chock-full of mould a couple of months ago - now have a new bottle from the supermarket that doesn't have visible fungi yet.

ANAZAZI":1r1k3ldv said:
Can anyone try to tell me exactly what the vinegar is supposed to do? How it is working?
Well the theory from the Vet that recommended I use it for my horses was that as they eat this stuff and it is in their system when they sweat it causes a natural fly repellent. It did work for my horses. Never thought of it for the cows but most cows don't sweat. Pieds do tho so I may just have to try it....don't know if I could get them to eat it.

CKC1586":2ojpf1wm said:
ANAZAZI":2ojpf1wm said:
Well the theory from the Vet that recommended I use it for my horses was that as they eat this stuff and it is in their system when they sweat it causes a natural fly repellent. It did work for my horses. Never thought of it for the cows but most cows don't sweat. Pieds do tho so I may just have to try it....don't know if I could get them to eat it.

First, all cows sweat. Piedmontese have the ability to sweat a little more than british breeds, but all cows sweat.
Still if something from the vinegar pass trough the stomach into the blood, and from the bloodstream to the sweat glands, what might that be?
Aroma?

I believe in the ear thing too. Not only has the indicus influenced cattle more sweat glands; they also have bigger ears, which make them better adapted to benefit from either treatment. :banana: :banana: (but the feathers must strictly be confinement raised turkey feathers.)

Lucky_P how do you no so much about what Apple Cider Vinegar,will and will not do .I thank you may have feathers in your butt,and pee in your ear already.Thanks for all your helpful advice.

david922":1awtl2ud said:
Lucky_P how do you no so much about what Apple Cider Vinegar,will and will not do .I thank you may have feathers in your butt,and pee in your ear already.Thanks for all your helpful advice.

Lucky pee is the voice of reason here, and after the vinegar has been digested it is highly unlikely that it has any effect what so ever. If the aroma-in-perspiration theory can explain some effect or other, towards flies, it surely will have no relevance towards internal parasites, even if it is often claimed to. Placebo has a tendency to work better on missled humans, than on cynical cows. :2cents:
I believe my self to be a peaceful man; how come I am today mixed up with all piss and vinegar?

ANAZAZI":3a5e4tu0 said:
david922":3a5e4tu0 said:

Lucky pee is the voice of reason here, and after the vinegar has been digested it is highly unlikely that it has any effect what so ever. If the aroma-in-perspiration theory can explain some effect or other, towards flies, it surely will have no relevance towards internal parasites, even if it is often claimed to. Placebo has a tendency to work better on missled humans, than on cynical cows. :2cents:
I believe my self to be a peaceful man; how come I am today mixed up with all be nice and vinegar?

may be or may not but he is lacking in tact.