Apple cider vinegar

Help Support CattleToday:

Cows do not sweat in the same fashion as the primates. Their sweat glands are of a different nature than man. The glands are located in the nose. You can look this up but I had a course in histology during graduate school many years ago. Nothing sweats quite like a primate. I have thought about this watching a cow in summer. If you watch them they pant like a dog. The air is passing over the moisture around and in the nose. This evaporation helps regulate temperature. I am only guessing but I would say that you will not run your hand over a cow and have it cow away wet with sweat. Now you may have moisture on it where they lick or in the morning there can be condensate on the hairs that glisten like dew drops. Back on the subject of vinegar. It is also suppose to cure toe nail fungus. It did not work for me so I took the 88 day round of fungicide that can be tough on the liver. It worked. I would guess it is possible vinegar could control flies but I would like to see a real study. Must be the science background! :nod:

"You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar - but if catching flies is what you want, nothing works better than a dead 'possum." - Anon.

david922":2lumwr31 said:
I have no proof for this,but I put a gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar in 250 gal water trough every week for 11 cows ,and my cows look great, very few flies,they are on grass ,and very little feed, about 5 gal 10% feed 2 times a week.Cows drink the water very well.Thought I would share this with you. South Georgia

Gene Sollock promotes the ACV...if you have ever watched his videos on you tube.

If it was ever proving beyond a shadow of a doubt, and all of the studies done, which that will never happen because there is no money in it for the big dogs, if it was proven to work it would dissappear or become illegal.

Banjo":2wec0kyz said:
david922":2wec0kyz said:
I have no proof for this,but I put a gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar in 250 gal water trough every week for 11 cows ,and my cows look great, very few flies,they are on grass ,and very little feed, about 5 gal 10% feed 2 times a week.Cows drink the water very well.Thought I would share this with you. South Georgia

Gene Sollock promotes the ACV...if you have ever watched his videos on you tube.

If it was ever proving beyond a shadow of a doubt, and all of the studies done, which that will never happen because there is no money in it for the big dogs, if it was proven to work it would dissappear or become illegal.

Vinegar does not work, It CANNOT WORK, it has nothing in it that can do anything, It is not working just because a man on youtube said so, besides the only thing mr Sullock can teach us is to plant several kinds of clover and watch which ones will grow.T he man likes his own voice.

peter4836":20c5crm6 said:
Vinegar is an interesting feature in itself already. If you use it properly.

It is for example useful to clean windows with,because it is acidic, which affects the filth but leaves the glass alone. Also it is interesting because it is made from wasted cider. That is about it. :2cents:

ACV has many uses. You can put some in a dish with a drop of dish soap for fly control. I use it everyday, I drink a mixture of ACV, honey and water. It's good for heartburn.

I have actually heard of this, as more as a purifier for the cow tank, keeping the algae down, but hey if it works, maybe it makes the cows drink more, thats always a plus

Great article just came out in the August issue of The Stockman Grassfarmer on apple cider vinegar. Drops the fly population and great as a wormer works on virtually all forms of intestinal and external parasites also helps in digestion, scours, bloat and works as a pro biotic to improve disease resistance. I'm starting to give it to my cows after reading the article.

Vinegar will not kill internal parasites and it is questionable as to whether or not it will help reduce the fly population.

If you do want to try it, be sure that you get the real thing, not the apple flavored vinegar that is sold in the grocery stores.

Also, if you put it in the water, be sure that the cows have access to plain water too.

Richardin52":11xlvdnl said:
Apple cider vinegar. Drops the fly population and great as a wormer works on virtually all forms of intestinal and external parasites also helps in digestion, scours, bloat and works as a pro biotic to improve disease resistance.

According to whom?
Proof of some sort?

Also wondering how something that is acidic can act like a probiotic (Probiotics are bacteria that help maintain the natural balance of organisms (microflora) in the intestines).

According to William Winter, DVM who wrote the article and who has used it on his own animals.

According to the article he calls it live apple cider vinegar because it has live bacteria in it because the kind he uses was made with a mother.

He talks about the research he found and did himself. He also tells of some very simple tests anyone can do themselves to see if it helps in digestion etc.

He also give amounts to use and where to buy it in volume.

He does say that there probably will not be a flood of scientific studies on ACV coming our way from land grant colleges since it's not an expensive new latest greatest drug.

OK.

I will admit that I tried the same type of ACV as the author spoke of for a horse that has fly allergies. It did not help at all.
The stuff was expensive. I had to buy it at Whole Earth Foods and it was almost $4.00 for 16 ounces.

I for one would like to see the author do a study on animals that belong to other people. Doing on only his own animals is not an accurate test or study.

I'm always real leary of anything from Stockman Grassfarmer. I got a sample from them a couple of years ago and touted some line bred Hereford bulls that were so prepotent that they would turn angus horned and red. That pretty well shot their credibility with me.

At $4.00/ gal and one gallon of ACV to treat 100 gallons of water. That figures out to $220.00 plus shipping for 55 gallons to treat 5,500 gallons of water.

I guess I will give it a try.

If it works I have found something that will reduce fly population on the farm, worm my cattle, help in the utilization of forage, will make my cattle healthier and will save me on vet bills.

If it does not work I'm out $220.00 had a little fun experimenting and will wonder about it no longer.

You know boys I used to be in construction. A lot of guys that were contractors like I was just kinda stayed between the lines and never tried anything new. I was always trying something trying to get new and better jobs, advertising on Plastic phone book covers, bumper sticker, T shirts or running adds in different news papers. One month I bought a Boston Globe news paper (I'm in Maine) every day and called every add looking for carpenters. I told them I had my own company and was looking for subcontracting work.

Well I lost money on the bumper stickers, T shirts etc. but I ended up landing a contract to do all the finish work on all the Reebok Factory shoe outlets in the U.S. and payed cash for my farm in two years. So you can tell me how dumb I am to try something new if you want, I've heard it all before.

Well all I can say is that if genuine Apple Cider Vinegar will kill intestinal parasites, it would be labeled and sold as such.

Take fecal samples from your cattle at random times, and have them checked for parasites. One thing though, a fecal exam will only indicate that there are mature worms shedding eggs. An animal can be loaded and have a negative fecal.

ETA: I wonder what the shipping cost will be. 55 gallons will weigh almost 470 lbs., then you have the weight of the containers too.

Latest posts