has anyone heard of feeding your cow oil and vinegar ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Some one just told me that we could fatten up our cow if we were to feed them oil and vinegar with their feed and I personally can't see the connection but I would definately like someone elses opinion..We are fattening up a heifer to butcher and she weighs about 700-800 lbs but we were wondering what the best diet is or what ever you want to call it. Also. for our hard to winter qt. horse we were also wondering about the best way to keep his weight on...???? I also was wondering if a good rain blanket would keep him from getting rain rot ? ;-)

Feed her a good 12% feed at 2-2.5% of her body weight per day plus good hay and you'll end up with a good animal, if you're making you own feed make sure to add minerals.

Used to put linseed oil in my show calf's feed, but I only did it to make the coat shiney.

I also used canola and corn oil in show calf feed. But like Mike said, only for coat shine. I've heard it can help fatten them, but it would take alot of oil I would think.

An old timer told me one time to feed vinegar to my steer before I butchered it to breakdown the muscle? I didn't try it. I'm not sure if breakdown the muscle was why. Anybody else hear of this?

Never heard of feeding vinegar. Lots of feed has oil or fat in it. It has more energy than starch, sugar or fiber and it helps keep the dust down. I put 4 gallons of soybean oil in each batch (our grinder holds about 3500 lbs).

Vinegar is a very good source of energy to ruminants when the rumen isn't functioning as after anaplasmoses or redwater or after eating poisonous plants. it should be diluted with equal amounts of water and used as a medicament or emergency energy source, not as routine feed.

*Cowgirl*":2waugela said:
ALACOWMAN":2waugela said:
Bluestem":2waugela said:
Some add apple cedar vinegar to the water. Not sure why. Maybe for minerals.
some one stated before they put vinergar in the water for a more heifer percentage in their calf crop
Anybody know if it worked?

Not consistantly enough to make the hassle worth while.

dun

dun":2yvaherx said:
*Cowgirl*":2yvaherx said:
ALACOWMAN":2yvaherx said:
Bluestem":2yvaherx said:
some one stated before they put vinergar in the water for a more heifer percentage in their calf crop
Anybody know if it worked?

Not consistantly enough to make the hassle worth while.

dun

Darn

Bluestem":3w333q8k said:

Heard this being done, to help bacteria from not taking over stock tanks, keeping the water clean.

GMN

Latest posts