Anyone put up any tongue and groove pine?

Help Support CattleToday:

Carpenter2n":1oym9tvh said:
tom4018":1oym9tvh said:
Some websites talk about finishing both sides of the boards, is that necessary?
what are you going over? ie...studs, raw sheetrock, finished sheetrock, etc
Over studs and insulation.

Bright Raven":1a2iclqg said:
tom4018":1a2iclqg said:
Some websites talk about finishing both sides of the boards, is that necessary?

Mine came planed on both sides. Do you mean sealed and stained on both sides?
Talking about sealing.

I just put it on the porch ceilings of our new house. I use a t nailer. It's a duo fast finish nailer . I believe they are 16 gauge. We stained and sealed it. On the finished side only

Be sure it is dry. I put some up that we thought was dry and it shrunk some more. Those gaps can really open up and the spaces between the ends of the boards can expand. Also be prepared to have to horse some of the curved boards into place. Not that hard with the tongue and groove but something you will have to do.

Newberry Creek":3cymadle said:
Be sure it is dry. I put some up that we thought was dry and it shrunk some more. Those gaps can really open up and the spaces between the ends of the boards can expand. Also be prepared to have to horse some of the curved boards into place. Not that hard with the tongue and groove but something you will have to do.
How can a person be sure that it is dry enough?

What is the best way to cut it to have good joints? Miter saw?

My friend just is putting up T&G pine.. his is 4 sided T&G, so the ends match up very nicely.. A bead of glue on the studs, finish nailer on an angle into the tongue.
For sawing, a good radial arm saw or miter saw with a fine toothed blade works very nicely

For those that put it up did you sand it very much before finishing it? If so what type sander did you use?

i always cut the ends at an angle so when you butt them up there is always wood showing. plus if it dries out some there isnt a gap where they come together.

tja477t":zpjftslo said:
i always cut the ends at an angle so when you butt them up there is always wood showing. plus if it dries out some there isnt a gap where they come together.
We did do that also.

Latest posts