Anyone put up any tongue and groove pine?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Has anyone installed any tongue and groove pine, some people call it carsiding. We are wanting to install it in a room for the ceiling and walls to give it a cabin type look. If you did what did you use for nails?

tom4018":o0sem6hq said:
Has anyone installed any tongue and groove pine, some people call it carsiding. We are wanting to install it in a room for the ceiling and walls to give it a cabin type look. If you did what did you use for nails?

I have put up my fair share, but always in the LQ of a horse trailer. A nail won't stand up to the vibration of the highway, so you use screws. I believe I was attaching it to a stud, I'd use a finish nail with a fairly big head. Old barn tin on the ceiling looks nice in the application your doing. I have that in my man cave.

Bigfoot":1yr5kbss said:
tom4018":1yr5kbss said:

I have put up my fair share, but always in the LQ of a horse trailer. A nail won't stand up to the vibration of the highway, so you use screws. I believe I was attaching it to a stud, I'd use a finish nail with a fairly big head. Old barn tin on the ceiling looks nice in the application your doing. I have that in my man cave.

Read some online how to articles that mention using a 15 or 16 gauge finish nail out of a nail gun. With so much to install the idea of a nail gun makes it sound easier. Just want to make sure what we use holds up.

Does the metal give much of an echo in the room? Would you care to share a pic with me?

put up a lot with 15ga nailer, nail it trough the tounge into every joist and hold it up tight when you nail it.

bse":c9mhv1ni said:
put up a lot with 15ga nailer, nail it trough the tounge into every joist and hold it up tight when you nail it.
Would you risk 16 gauge? Found a deal on a 16 gauge Paslode nailer but wondered if it would hold up.

tom4018":1n6sshgd said:
Bigfoot":1n6sshgd said:
tom4018":1n6sshgd said:

Read some online how to articles that mention using a 15 or 16 gauge finish nail out of a nail gun. With so much to install the idea of a nail gun makes it sound easier. Just want to make sure what we use holds up.

Does the metal give much of an echo in the room? Would you care to share a pic with me?

No echo. I'll have to text you a picture. I've lost the ability to post one here.

Tons of pics when I googled " barn tin on ceilings". I covered my corners with rope. Couldn't find a trim I liked. I just brad nailed it to the wall.

Brad gun.

Ceiling

20us74j.jpg

i didn't install it but I have it on my ceilings. I know they used a nail gun but have no idea what fasteners they shot thru it.
pretty sure there wasn't any liq nail used.
Them boys was climbing around like monkeys tho, on some of the shakiest cobbled together scaffolding you ever saw. I don't remember how high the peak of my ceiling is, but from the floor to the top of the wall where the ceiling begins is 14'.

Did that in the dining area along with the tin ceiling. I hired the labor and they used a nail gun. Attached the ceiling with lag bolts and that gave it a unique look. Sorry about the pic but it's the best I can do with the phone.

True Grit Farms":xfjgiv2w said:
Ol' 243":xfjgiv2w said:
Liquid Nail and brad nail it in the tongue.

I know that method will work for 20 years.

Even better if you stagger the nail angle. Don't drive any nails straight in. Just pity the poor fool who takes it down.

Same with decking. Angle your nails and it won't come loose.

backhoeboogie":3ftaa8tt said:
True Grit Farms":3ftaa8tt said:
Ol' 243":3ftaa8tt said:
Liquid Nail and brad nail it in the tongue.

I know that method will work for 20 years.

Even better if you stagger the nail angle. Don't drive any nails straight in. Just pity the poor fool who takes it down.

Same with decking. Angle your nails and it won't come loose.

Yep, right in the v of the tongue, angled back toward the board, it ain't going nowhere.

Question for those that have put some up. Did you allow the lumber to dry anymore after purchasing or just start putting it up?

not dry more, per se. but you do want to let it acclimate to its environment for 48 to 72 hours before install
(longer the better)

Some websites talk about finishing both sides of the boards, is that necessary?

tom4018":38nxp854 said:
Some websites talk about finishing both sides of the boards, is that necessary?

Mine came planed on both sides. Do you mean sealed and stained on both sides?

Latest posts