Anyone know how much Assisted Living costs?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
May have to explore options for my mother. Never knew anyone in assisted living but wondered how much it cost per month. A google search says over $3,000 wonder if that is close?

2000 per month and up. Depends on the area and what clientele the facility is trying to serve. Some areas do not have many options, while other areas have many available.
CSM

$3000 would be the low end, here in town. Low end meaning a small amount of services required. The more services needed, the price goes up considerably. Actually, as expensive as it sounds, all your other bills go away. No car necessay etc.

Her income is not near that, that is what concerned me. Not sure what path to take.

My wife is general manager of a alzheimer's/ dementia facility. It runs around 5000. For a private room. There are many different types of facilities. You need to research it very carefully. Its a very hard thing to deal with. Best of luck

The assisted living that my mother was in costs $2100 a month. The nursing home that she is in now is $4278 a month. Plus medicine which is close to $200 a month. This is in Middle GA.

It varies from location to location--and it can become pretty complicated if social security benefits are involved--and if the client or resident has any assets. theres no 'one size fits all/avg cost' answer

It was around 3200 for my grandma 10 years ago. I've heard it's in the 4-5000 range around here now. Crazy money

Here in Texas you can have so much money, a burial plan paid up, still can own the home which will be taken at the end of your death. Mother in law spent the last 10 years in assisted living and then the nursing home. Her SS check was $1100 the home took it all and medicaid picked up the balance. Medicare for all other health cost.

tom4018":25wrlfzy said:
May have to explore options for my mother. Never knew anyone in assisted living but wondered how much it cost per month. A google search says over $3,000 wonder if that is close?

How much you got?? That's how much they'll want. And if she has any savings it's too late to try to hide those. They go back and check several years. Otherwise they often just settle for whatever money you have coming in like SS.

Might be a regional thing, but here in Ky, assisted living is very different from a nursing home.

My MIL had the foresight to buy a long term care policy and is now using it. She elected to stay in her home with 24/7/365 care. The bill she gets weekly is 3k. Like most have said the costs depend on the level of care and facility.

slick4591":2xsopgbe said:
My MIL had the foresight to buy a long term care policy and is now using it. She elected to stay in her home with 24/7/365 care. The bill she gets weekly is 3k. Like most have said the costs depend on the level of care and facility.

I have a LTC policy I purchased at age 35. Cost about $800 annual premium back then. Now it has doubled since then. Pays something like $325/day and inflation rider increases the benefit 5% each year. First 90 days in nursing home I would have to pay myself, then policy would kick in.

Not sure if policy is good for "assisted living". Last renewal I asked about a higher "deductible" like i would pay for 1 yr and then policy kicks in. Nope, don't offer that. This is with State Farm.

I don't know who she's with, but as I understand it she was able to elect the percentage amount the policy would pay when she signed up and pay her premium amount accordingly. Seemed like she's paying a couple of grand a year for the policy. I do know the insurance would pay more if she were in a facility. The wife deals with all that and I just get to hear her bytch about it. :lol:

TexasBred":3619bilm said:
tom4018":3619bilm said:

How much you got?? That's how much they'll want. And if she has any savings it's too late to try to hide those. They go back and check several years. Otherwise they often just settle for whatever money you have coming in like SS.
With all due respect tb. That's not right

tom4018":3ubry9ox said:

Tom I was paying that in 2002 a month on Dad.
Friend has his mother in one now here said it is running him close to four.
That doesn't include their medical either.
I don't know how poor people can give their loved ones any quality of life.
With Dad in a home and Mom still at home maintaining a very frugal independent lifestyle
they went through every dime they had saved in sixty years. The wife and I went
through nearly 100K in the last four years of their life keeping them a float on top
of their income.

fenceman":3hkgx2cx said:
TexasBred":3hkgx2cx said:
tom4018":3hkgx2cx said:

With all due respect tb. That's not right

Must be a regional or state thing because my father in law met with an attorney 7 years ago (in preparation for how to financially handle his folks aging and his farm being legally in their name) Attorney instructed him to get as much of his parents wealth transitioned into his name, especially the farm. In Indiana, any assets held within the last 5 years are considered when figuring your responsibility for payment to LTHC facility. His folks are quite set financially, but his mom and pop did transfer the farm to his name. Attorney explained, they will basically have to use all their existing surplus before medicare/medicaid/ss kick in..if they didn't have an insurance policy in place..

For the record, I also worked LTHC, for several years in an Alzheimers unit. See some heartbreaking stuff emotionally, physically and financially. :???:

another option we used was to hire a neighbor to live with my MIL. It worked great for the neighbor(she didn't have enough money to live good) and my MIL. They became good friends. We paid her $20,000. And we also hired for $10/hr a group of people she could call on when she needed to be gone and we couldn't be there. We also had some home health care come in when needed for medical issues. Medicare pd for that.

We did end up putting her in a nursing home for the last 4 months.

Latest posts