Freezer beef costs

Help Support CattleToday:

I sold one a few weeks ago. 842#/$3lb. That's hanging weight. $100 kill fee and $0.70/lb to cut and wrap that the customer pays. It's still a win for one of the customers b/c she is so allergic to grain products that she needs a grass fed one that's never seen any grain. Works for me, works for her. The other folks that bought were happy as well. We all win. I scheduled a date in October way back in April. There's a strong demand for folks knowing where their animals come from.

People who buy directly from a farm aren't looking for deals, they just want to know what they're eating. And 9/10 they're getting a much better product than Walmart sells.

I had a relative complain because I charge family members more than my cost for beef, I asked him if one of the steers dies was he going to pay for it and not get any meat? His reply was that it wouldn't be his fault if one died, why should he pay for something he doesn't receive? I told him that's why I charge family more than I have in it, because I'm assuming all the risk.

Picked up all the remaining payments yesterday on the 2 beef. My wife who'll talk to anyone she doesn't need to asked a couple what they did for hamburger and not to short themselves on cuts for ground. They say they paid $7-10/# for burger by the share, it was supposed to be local but came from Missouri. I'm in Washington state. My wife says I can do that better and local. People want local and everything is expensive now! 6k for 2 steers 20 months old grass fed it works for me.