Anybody bought a gas oven lately?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I need to get one for moms house...it probably needs an igniter but it's 20yrs old(really) soo I'm thinking "hey it's the holidays soon". Got any good ideas?

I bought one a few years ago, and my mom bought one last winter. I don't know enough about them to make any real recommendations, but make sure you go through the directions thoroughly. They'll come with propane orifices installed, and you'll need to switch them out for NG (If that' what you're running). Mine was very simple, but my mom's was pretty tricky. Though I like the looks of mine, I can tell you that black isn't the idea color for a stove unless you plan to clean it almost daily.

Last range we bought was a Kenmore. I can't tell you which one to buy but I can tell you which NOT to buy. ;-) I don't know about the rest of the country but it's a PITA to buy propane powered anything in Texas.

I Have! http://www.dreamstoves.com/1930s-magic- ... eries.html
Wasn't this one but an identical one. White 1927 Magic Chef 1000.
A working antique and my "daily driver."
Cost me a couple arms but it's a beaut. Bought it out of the original home it was it, in a big estate on the North Shore of Chicago. I figure if I take good care of it, it will be around another 100 years.

Is she into antiques? There are some really cool old 1950's-era ones you can pick up. The fully-restored ones can get pricey if they are the really-in-demand ones, but there are some bargains too. And these old beauties hold heir value, so if you are ready to sell in a few years, you shouldn't have a lot of depreciation if they're well-cared-for.

lavacarancher":1hxgxgzs said:
Last range we bought was a Kenmore. I can't tell you which one to buy but I can tell you which NOT to buy. ;-) I don't know about the rest of the country but it's a PITA to buy propane powered anything in Texas.

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I've always had propane stoves, and never had any problems getting the orifices changed out from the ones for natural gas.

We're on propane too. No problems here either, you just have to have a competent salesman that knows the difference in products. Wife wanted two ovens so we put in a gas range and then put in a wall mount microwave with an electric oven under that. Ours are GE.

I could be wrong but I was told that I couldn't change the orifice - that I needed to buy a complete burner assembly w/thermostat for propane and that I would have to have my local propane dealer do the work for me. New law. This was for a water heater. Had my plumber friend do the change over for me on the kitchen stove but the oven still does not burn correctly. Sears would not make the change.

lavacarancher":3cnrz0i6 said:
I could be wrong but I was told that I couldn't change the orifice - that I needed to buy a complete burner assembly w/thermostat for propane and that I would have to have my local propane dealer do the work for me. New law. This was for a water heater. Had my plumber friend do the change over for me on the kitchen stove but the oven still does not burn correctly. Sears would not make the change.

Lava,
I'm pretty sure that when you change orifices converting to propane, you have to set the regulator to a lower pressure. Check with your propane dealer for sure. Might be why it is not burning correctly

We bought a whirlpool a few months ago .. I changed the orifices in about 15 min .. the only problem I had was when the power went out the stove top wouldn't work .. come to find out by doing a little exploring the stove has a cyllonoid in the gas line .. I took it apart and took the plunger out of it .. works fine now ..

We have a propane Whirlpool double oven and stove top and they were no problem to get. When the power goes out the ignition switch won't work but the stove top will light with a lighter. I've also converted commercial appliances to propane with little trouble.

bbirder":261mx6zg said:
lavacarancher":261mx6zg said:

Lava,
I'm pretty sure that when you change orifices converting to propane, you have to set the regulator to a lower pressure. Check with your propane dealer for sure. Might be why it is not burning correctly

On my mom's stove, it had a regulator inside it that needed something changed in addition to the orifices. I don't remember having to do that with mine, but it's been many years. The owner's manual should describe it in detail. I'm guessing bbirder is correct.

slick4591":rf8089i8 said:
We have a propane Whirlpool double oven and stove top and they were no problem to get. When the power goes out the ignition switch won't work but the stove top will light with a lighter. I've also converted commercial appliances to propane with little trouble.
Sounds like the one we have .. just couldn't get it to light with a match because the gas line was blocked.. come to think of it It happened when we had a power surge buying out the circuit board ..

bbirder":3c97d5k6 said:
lavacarancher":3c97d5k6 said:

Lava,

You could be right B. Never saw anything in the instruction book that indicated a regulator needed to be adjusted. Makes sense, though

My propane dealer will check that stuff out free of charge since they supply my home. If they have to work on it is when they charge.

Well after pricing new ones I went back and fixed the oven. I got sent down or went down a bunny trail earlier with the " what comes first the gas or the burner" diagnosis. I put a $19.00 burner element in it and a $3.98 can of spit shine and the world is good again at Omi's.

lavacarancher":zl0m8vfk said:
bbirder":zl0m8vfk said:
lavacarancher":zl0m8vfk said:

Lava,

You could be right B. Never saw anything in the instruction book that indicated a regulator needed to be adjusted. Makes sense, though
Propane is at a higher pressure than natural gas and if regulator isn't set for propane you will have yellow smoky flames.

In my stoves regulator there was a piece that had to be flipped over in order for it to work on propane .

Latest posts