Any New Chevy 2500 Owners?

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Seriously considering trading my '08 Duramax for a new 2500 gas burner. Seems all the whistle and bells are getting a little crazy and will need new ball joints soon. I've gotten to where I have $500 patches every couple of months. Just turned 150,000 and I'm getting a little worried.

Talked to a number of new Ram owners with one of them being my boy and I'm not getting the tingle down my leg like I'd hoped. Ford just might be a possibility, but I want to hear from any Chevy owners first as to what they think.

There's an F350 sitting in my driveway with 500 miles on it, truck is a lot more comfortable than the 2007 Dodge 3500 I sold to get it and it's lot heavier built. Will have a better opinion in 10 years or so.

I happen to have an 08 3500HD Vortec. With 200,000 miles, little things like SES, check tire monitoring sys, buttons not working got me thinking the same thing.
I thought diesel, primarily because they seem to hold their value. I'm thinking about waiting and see if they discount them , after they introduce the upcoming new design next yr.
I think all 3 (Ford, GM, RAM) are coming out with new versions soon.
I've never had any luck asking for opinion: a Ford guy will "buy a Ford", etc.
My big question: buy a stripped down version, so I can use it for work and hauling, or pay $70,000 and be afraid of getting it scratched.

What do you do with your 08 Duramax?

If you haul heavy a lot you may be disappointed going from diesel to gas. In general going from an 08 to a 2013+ you will be pleasantly surprised at how much better a lot of things are. 08 was a rough year for ALL the auto makers and ALL the brands from that time period show it in the stuff just like you are talking about.

The 6.0L gas motor in the 2500 you are thinking about is probably the most dependable motor on the market right now in a full size truck.

Brute 23":21gyalzb said:
What do you do with your 08 Duramax?

If you haul heavy a lot you may be disappointed going from diesel to gas. In general going from an 08 to a 2013+ you will be pleasantly surprised at how much better a lot of things are. 08 was a rough year for ALL the auto makers and ALL the brands from that time period show it in the stuff just like you are talking about.

The 6.0L gas motor in the 2500 you are thinking about is probably the most dependable motor on the market right now in a full size truck.

Actually, I don't do a lot of heavy hauling with it anymore. I bought it back when I was wearing out a 1500 pulling a catering trailer most nights of the week. Since I stopped catering it's mostly just a few cows every now and then. I'll still be hauling the cows about the same, which is why I'm considering the gas engine. This is great info, Brute. Thanks!

I have a 16' RAM 5500 with a Cummins, and a 17' Chevy 2500 gasser. Both are very good at what they do, but worthless at the other one's job. You can pound a nail in with a wrench, but you can't torque a bolt with a hammer.

Farm Fence Solutions":blnxhvt8 said:
I have a 16' RAM 5500 with a Cummins, and a 17' Chevy 2500 gasser. Both are very good at what they do, but worthless at the other one's job. You can pound a nail in with a wrench, but you can't torque a bolt with a hammer.
Ahmmm....not efficiently by any means, but striking the nut just so will tighten or loosen it a bit.....but hammering a nail with anything other than a hammer isn't efficient either.

I'll probably go to gas from diesel on the next one....might even go to a 1500. Not expecting to do a lot of heavy hauling work much longer. I think it would be harder to give up a 4x4.

1982vett":2evuod1m said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2evuod1m said:
Ahmmm....not efficiently by any means, but striking the nut just so will tighten or loosen it a bit.....but hammering a nail with anything other than a hammer isn't efficient either.

I'll probably go to gas from diesel on the next one....might even go to a 1500. Not expecting to do a lot of heavy hauling work much longer. I think it would be harder to give up a 4x4.
If your truck is not 4x4 you don't have much.

To echo Brute, the 6.0 has Chevy engine is probably the best I've ever owned. Gas mileage is not the best but I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. Strong but not as much torque as a diesel. Will probably work fine. I've comsidered the very same thing myself. That 10k price difference is worth mentioning as well!

Friend just traded a 17 2500 6.0 To a 18 f250 6.2 could not be happier. I have had chevy forever have 2 dmax right now. Next truck will be f350

Well, I've been playing on the "Build Your Own" sites for all three manufacturers and looks like chevy will be the way I go if I can work the deal. Sat down with my local guy yesterday and there's not an '18 or '19 in the country like I want, so I'll have to have it built. Problem now is Chevrolet is not building 2500's at the moment and I'm not going to settle when they cost so much. He said he'd let me know when I could order and we'd talk about a deal then.

We got a 2018 Chevrolet 2500 with a 6.0 gasoline engine back in January. So far we are well pleased, pull a 16 ft. gooseneck with it pretty often and hardly know its back there. It is just a work truck package but has plenty of "extras" as far as I'm concerned. Power windows and back up camera come standard from what I understand. I am not a big fan of the extras packages as to me that's just more to need fixing down the road, we feel like we got a pretty good deal on it as far as new vehicles go.

slick4591":1vmw2s0t said:
Well, I've been playing on the "Build Your Own" sites for all three manufacturers and looks like chevy will be the way I go if I can work the deal. Sat down with my local guy yesterday and there's not an '18 or '19 in the country like I want, so I'll have to have it built. Problem now is Chevrolet is not building 2500's at the moment and I'm not going to settle when they cost so much. He said he'd let me know when I could order and we'd talk about a deal then.

Chevrolet isn't building 2500s right now? That would be enough for me to go with someone that would be able to instead. I have personally, or am related to, dealt with building 5 or 6 in the last 10 years. None of those times have there been any "we aren't building those right now". Just my opinion.

This probably isn't the right time to have a truck built of any brand. I know Ford and Ram are changing body styles in the next year or two, and GM won't be too far behind like usual.

greatgerts":3c8xt918 said:
Chevrolet isn't building 2500s right now? That would be enough for me to go with someone that would be able to instead. I have personally, or am related to, dealt with building 5 or 6 in the last 10 years. None of those times have there been any "we aren't building those right now". Just my opinion.

Only temporary as they have plenty out there and need to catch up on the work line of trucks. Dealer says it'll open back up pretty soon.

True Grit Farms":3c8xt918 said:
This probably isn't the right time to have a truck built of any brand. I know Ford and Ram are changing body styles in the next year or two, and GM won't be too far behind like usual.

Was told that, but who knows what they'll look like. Took me forever to get used to this style and still not crazy about the little flare over the back wheels.

Brute 23":3c8xt918 said:
GM has new body styles for 2019

The only differences I noticed was between the packages.

Its on the 1500s in 19 and then the 2500 and 3500s come the next year in 20. There are pics online of the news styles.

Im not sure exactly how it works but at some point they have to stop and "re-tool" the factories from what I have read.

What were you trying to order. I'm a little surprised there wasn't one some where. Was that looking online or talking to an actual dealer?

Actual dealer going thru his computer. I was looking at the LTZ and adding the features I wanted. Ended up basically creating a High Country with my options, but not the HC cabin. It's just the colors weren't available or there was more/less than what I wanted. He found an LTZ in San Antonio with a moon roof and a High Country in Oregon but wrong color.

Bought a new F350 this year definitely nicest truck I've ever owned. In my experience Dodges have held up the best for me. We had a 2010 Chevy 1500 z71 for a year and a half put 50k on it, what a pos and big disappointment. We'll see how the Ford holds up.

Latest posts