Any New Chevy 2500 Owners?

Help Support CattleToday:

Farm Fence Solutions":1c6z5c7o said:
.............. You can pound a nail in with a wrench, but you can't torque a bolt with a hammer.

Yes you can and I've done it....if you add a chisel. The chisel will bite into the hex ears and do the job. Application was a place where I couldn't get a wrench in to an area where I had to remove and reinstall a bolt. Gotta make do with what you have.

Now on the trucks, no comment. I know my little '11 4.8 gasser Silverado is ok fine alone but put a load on it, especially with wind resistance (16x6 stock trailer with tack room up front), even with tow-haul, get over 55 and she starts asking for forgiveness. But that's fine as the trailer is a once a year event; chores are an every day type thing.

slick4591":2wjhy4oi said:
Lucky":2wjhy4oi said:
It might be the transmission. Mine seems a little slow on take of up to about 30 mph but then it's fine, I think they're just geared that way. It could also just be that diesels have to be driven differently than gas pickups. I'll hop in my gas feed truck and think this thing won't pull your hat off until I remember to mash on it more.

Atimm693":2wjhy4oi said:
The powerband is pretty much opposite and will take some getting use to.

Gas engines need RPM to achieve peak torque and HP. Diesels peak at ~2000 RPM usually.

I put a little over a 100 on it yesterday and seems like it's clicking with me a little better. There's a difference in the accelerator and I don't think I've been aggressive enough. Thanks for the info!

Side note: Ford people around town are telling it was about time I smartened up and the Chevy folks are calling me an idiot. Hopefully, I fit somewhere in between. :lol2:
Here's the deal straight up, if your going to work on your truck yourself you don't want a GM. Replacing the power steering pump and lines will make a preacher cuss, and replacing the water pump is even worse, and I'll leave the steering components for another discussion. We know nothing about the newer Ford trucks so I'm of no help there. My neighbor had a really nice low mileage 4x4 3500 Denali for sale cheap, and my son wouldn't let me buy it. GM makes a great truck till they start to need repairs.

True Grit Farms":z06lo8lu said:
slick4591":z06lo8lu said:
Lucky":z06lo8lu said:
It might be the transmission. Mine seems a little slow on take of up to about 30 mph but then it's fine, I think they're just geared that way. It could also just be that diesels have to be driven differently than gas pickups. I'll hop in my gas feed truck and think this thing won't pull your hat off until I remember to mash on it more.

Atimm693":z06lo8lu said:

Gas engines need RPM to achieve peak torque and HP. Diesels peak at ~2000 RPM usually.

I put a little over a 100 on it yesterday and seems like it's clicking with me a little better. There's a difference in the accelerator and I don't think I've been aggressive enough. Thanks for the info!

Side note: Ford people around town are telling it was about time I smartened up and the Chevy folks are calling me an idiot. Hopefully, I fit somewhere in between. :lol2:
Here's the deal straight up, if your going to work on your truck yourself you don't want a GM. Replacing the power steering pump and lines will make a preacher cuss, and replacing the water pump is even worse, and I'll leave the steering components for another discussion. We know nothing about the newer Ford trucks so I'm of no help there. My neighbor had a really nice low mileage 4x4 3500 Denali for sale cheap, and my son wouldn't let me buy it. GM makes a great truck till they start to need repairs.

At least GM labels their fuse boxes, and doesn't rivet their door pins. Chevy's don't spit out spark plugs either.

My 06 Chevy gasser has one of the roomiest engine compartments that I've seen.

Texasmark":1okilv3u said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1okilv3u said:
.............. You can pound a nail in with a wrench, but you can't torque a bolt with a hammer.

Yes you can and I've done it....if you add a chisel. The chisel will bite into the hex ears and do the job. Application was a place where I couldn't get a wrench in to an area where I had to remove and reinstall a bolt. Gotta make do with what you have.

Now on the trucks, no comment. I know my little '11 4.8 gasser Silverado is ok fine alone but put a load on it, especially with wind resistance (16x6 stock trailer with tack room up front), even with tow-haul, get over 55 and she starts asking for forgiveness. But that's fine as the trailer is a once a year event; chores are an every day type thing.

Ok. Everyone knows that you can tighten or loosen a bolt with a hammer and a chisel. I hesitated to post my original statement, for just this reason. My point is, there is a tool for every job. Now, if you can put the proper TORQUE on one that way, you might have something. Details.

:clap:
Atimm693":3c7uaauk said:
True Grit Farms":3c7uaauk said:
slick4591":3c7uaauk said:

At least GM labels their fuse boxes, and doesn't rivet their door pins. Chevy's don't spit out spark plugs either.

You need it with a GM :D GM had the best gas engine a still might.
Sorry I was talking about the Dmax, that's what Slick had. I thought Ford fixed the spark plug deal in 05? What make and year truck doesn't have the fuse box labeled?

True Grit Farms":unus518c said:
slick4591":unus518c said:
Lucky":unus518c said:

Atimm693":unus518c said:

What year model GM trucks are you referring to? Your painting with a pretty broad brush there.

True Grit Farms":3tg3n827 said:
:clap:
Atimm693":3tg3n827 said:
True Grit Farms":3tg3n827 said:

You need it with a GM :D GM had the best gas engine a still might.
Sorry I was talking about the Dmax, that's what Slick had. I thought Ford fixed the spark plug deal in 05? What make and year truck doesn't have the fuse box labeled?

In that case no V8 diesels are a cakewalk to work on. 6.4s are especially bad, 6.7 is cramped but better laid out. Still gotta yank the cab for most engine work, same goes for the Dmax. Only one that's "easy" to work on is Cummins.

97-03 trucks spit them out, 04-07 used a two piece plug that breaks in the head. 10 years of piss poor design is not excusable IMO.

They're labled, but instead of printing what they actually do on the lid (like GM), they print a code that you have to fumble through the owner's manual to look up.

Farm Fence Solutions":20zo8zz0 said:
Texasmark":20zo8zz0 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":20zo8zz0 said:

Ok. Everyone knows that you can tighten or loosen a bolt with a hammer and a chisel. I hesitated to post my original statement, for just this reason. My point is, there is a tool for every job. Now, if you can put the proper TORQUE on one that way, you might have something. Details.

I realized your intent. I just had to toss a bit of humor that surprised me when it worked in a rare instance. I don't carry a hammer in my tractors' tool boxes, but I do carry "Crescent" (multifunctional) wrenches as you described. Grin

On the Crescent wrench, when growing up that is what I learned to call them long before I was old enough to realize that Crescent was a brand name, not an adjective to describe the noun (wrench). A joke that popped up occasionally at the time included the word "Metric" in describing the Crescent wrench.....believe it or not, the last "adjustable" wrench I bought was not Crescent brand, but had Metric forged on one side and SAE on the other.

Texasmark":2iblq49d said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2iblq49d said:
Texasmark":2iblq49d said:

I realized your intent. I just had to toss a bit of humor that surprised me when it worked in a rare instance. I don't carry a hammer in my tractors' tool boxes, but I do carry "Crescent" (multifunctional) wrenches as you described. Grin

On the Crescent wrench, when growing up that is what I learned to call them long before I was old enough to realize that Crescent was a brand name, not an adjective to describe the noun (wrench). A joke that popped up occasionally at the time included the word "Metric" in describing the Crescent wrench.....believe it or not, the last "adjustable" wrench I bought was not Crescent brand, but had Metric forged on one side and SAE on the other.

Also known as a Kentucky socket set. lol

Farm Fence Solutions":xqr91shs said:
Texasmark":xqr91shs said:
Farm Fence Solutions":xqr91shs said:

Also known as a Kentucky socket set. lol

:lol2: Or a thumb wrench. Always preferred adjustable wrench or Crescent wrench myself. But I guess it's like rotary mower, bush hog, or shredder. Really don't matter as they're one in the same.

Sharp wheels there Slick. Or as the inner city boys would say, "sharp whip there bro".

Brute 23":2vrrkmhr said:
slick4591":2vrrkmhr said:
JMJ Farms":2vrrkmhr said:
Sharp wheels there Slick. Or as the inner city boys would say, "sharp whip there bro".

Thank you. I'm out of the loop, I guess, cause I ain't never heard that. :lol:

"bro" is out already :kid: :lol:

:shock: dang, and I haven't even got there yet.... :(

1982vett":1lp5n335 said:
Brute 23":1lp5n335 said:
slick4591":1lp5n335 said:
Thank you. I'm out of the loop, I guess, cause I ain't never heard that. :lol:

"bro" is out already :kid: :lol:

:shock: dang, and I haven't even got there yet.... :(

I didn't know that Brute. And don't feel too bad Vette bc I ain't neither. Got to draw the line somewhere. There are just some thing I refuse to call another man.

I do watch enough tv to know that it went from brother to bro to bra to bru. Dog the bounty hunter used bra. I thought that was a woman's garment. WTH is bru?

I was just poking at Slick. I want to be real clear that I don't use those terms. I can type them but my mouth can't say them :lol2:

Same as stupid slap/grab 'hand shakes' and fist bumps.. No, I'll shake your hand like a man.

People get pretty embarrassed when you call them out on it too.

Supa Dexta":3siwr1ze said:
Same as stupid slap/grab 'hand shakes' and fist bumps.. No, I'll shake your hand like a man.

People get pretty embarrassed when you call them out on it too.

When my father in law was going thru chemo treatments this past year, his doctor advised him to fist bump people instead of shaking hands as the latter transfers germs more readily and his immune system was severely compromised. Sometimes there's more than meets the eye.

Latest posts