Another wake-up call

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
A good man lost his life here two weeks ago when he left his dog in the cab of the tractor with the bale in the air to open an electric gate. The guess is that the dog jumped up on the hydraulic tilt controls and dropped the bale on top of him. He was able to drag himself out from under the bale (his rubber boots were found under the bale) and into the tractor but died after bleeding out internally from the femoral artery. His body was completely crushed from the waist down. His bales weren't huge either, 4x5.

I still remember like yesterday when he talked to Dad and I about Dad's accident in '09 with a bale falling on him.

Don't have kids and dogs in the cab!

http://www.obitsforlife.com/obituary/69 ... -Aarne.php

I am very sorry for his friends and family. Prayers lifted for them.

Or if you do have passengers, lower the bale. It concerns me when I see tractors parked with a front end loader in the air where people walk and children play. Hydraulics can fail.

Bad deal.

After driving heavy equipment for a big national company with a high priority for safety, it made a big difference in how I handled equipment. Many things I never gave a thought about on the farm before I do now. I set the bucket or implement on the ground every time before getting out and I don't use N, I find Park no matter how much trouble. Too many stories of people that might still be here by doing some basic precautions. Sobering stuff. But I don't necessarily honk when I put a tractor in drive.

Funny thinking about this, seems like it was about a year ago I had a dream I was back working there. But I forgot my hardhat and other safety equipment and was in all kinds of a mess. Guess they made an impression on me, or maybe it was just guilt from all the times I would jump out without it.

Latest posts