Another update on Ethanol.

Help Support CattleToday:

NC Liz 2

Reaction score
Ethanol Producers Magazine.

Charles Staff, executive director of the Distillers Grains Technology Council, ticks off the issues that have come up in recent years: sulfur content, E. coli, mycotoxins, antibiotics, composition variability and flowability. "Most of them are not completely put to bed, and they may raise their heads in the future," he says.  The sulfur issue, for example, popped up in two states this past year, with distillers grains quickly being ruled out as a possible source in both cases. High sulfur levels can cause cattle deaths from a condition commonly called polio, explains Staff.
http://www.ethanolproducer.com/articles ... ends-north

I don't think the fat lady is ready to sing on this one just yet! :nod:
Liz

So, if polio is caused by sulfur, why is the vaccine (being a attenuated vaccine) effective? Or, better question is, why has polio all but disappeared in modern times if it's caused by sulfur which is ever present and according to you more present in recent times?
Nice try sl

Good question Hook.
I'm a little busy right now but I'm sure if you do just a little research on the two different polio's you can answer your own question.
Liz

NC Liz 2":2snlc2e6 said:
Good question Hook.
I'm a little busy right now but I'm sure if you do just a little research on the two different polio's you can answer your own question.
Liz
It's your thread, so you tell us.
I'll help. There are 3 types of polio, all viral, and all controlled by the vaccine.

So, tell us what role sulfur plays in the equation

NC Liz 2":2adoxxy3 said:
Hook,
OK See Polioencephalomalacia

Liz
That's more a condition of thiamine deficiency. Sulfur toxicity is one of a few causes of it and also the easiest to manage. Especially in a balanced ration. So, why do/are you targeting sulfur toxicity

Hook,
That's more a condition of thiamine deficiency.
True but a thiamine deficiency is caused by a copper deficiency and the copper deficiency is caused by the excess sulfur.
The excess sulfur blocks the absorption of copper which turns off the production of thiamine. This is what causes " red saddle" on black cattle.
Therefor you can not balance the diet no matter how much copper you add because it is being blocked by the excess sulfur.

Do you understand what the quote in my first post is saying?
Liz

Hook,
Copper deficits can also be caused by high iron, which is present in a lot of water wells. Again, why blame sulfur solely
Because those cases that were investigated found no excess iron in the water.
Liz

It's got nothing to do with copper.
You're so fond of cut & paste and hyperlinks SL, here's one for you to spend some time on:
http://ag.udel.edu/anfs/faculty/kung/h2s.htm

I've seen some polio cases that were potentially linked to excessive S levels in feed - but you've got to consider total dietary S; sulfur, sulfates, sulfides, etc. in forage, feed AND water - have seen case reports of polio in grazing cattle, with no supplemental feed - but very high S levels in the water.
I've also seen polio cases that were not associated with high S levels in feed or water; high grain rations can result in production of thiaminase enzymes that cause thiamine depletion.

While I'm not necessarily a proponent of converting the bulk of our corn production to ethanol, I feed - and will continue to feed, so long as they're an affordable protein supplement - distiller's grain products. Have done so for the past 7 years; have had no problems, and I anticipate none.

Rail on, SL. Tilt away at those windmills.

Hey, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.
I didn't release this legal speak, Charles Staff, executive director of the Distillers Grains Technology Council did.

And what he is telling you is that " The sulfur issue, for example, popped up in two states this past year" making it three lawsuits that I now know of filed against manufacturers and distributors.
" Most of them are not completely put to bed, and they may raise their heads in the future,".
That's legal speak for we lost again on both and we have filed two more appeals.
And who knows how many other suits they settled on the courthouse steps.

I will let you know in which states these 2 new cases were filed as coon as the Think Tank tracks them down.
Q. Could a class action suit be the next verse?
Now you know why Senator Pelosi did a 180 on ethanol production.
Liz

OakCreekRanch":8n867phi said:
What's a SL?
Short for sir loin. One of the many names "Liz" has used.

Sl, another point for you. Thousands of auto accident lawsuits are files each year. Few are valid. One thing both have in common is greed. So, what's your interest, because it's painfully clear that it's not accuracy or truth

Hang in there. I'm sure you will get an earful from the rat pack on that question.
SL = Sir Loin, a former member of this board who lost count of the number of times he was banned and decided the board just wasn't worth all the BS.

Liz

Hook":dhyfkd8g said:
Does that case answer the question of what your stake in the discussion is?
That's the only case he's found and tried to read up on. SL harped on the same case.

Hook,
Sorry, I missed that last part.
Does that case answer the question of what your stake in the discussion is?
No.
My only interest is, as was SL's, the welfare of cattle and the cattle industry. I hold no special interest nor did SL.
Liz

Latest posts