Another option for dealing with drouth induced lack of hay

Help Support CattleToday:

baleflipper

Reaction score
There is almost all ways a little rain thru the winter even in a drouth. It is possible to interseed clover in creek bottoms or other low lying areas. This will help and is not too expensive.
I plowed up most of my fields back in july. I have them pretty good shape for fall planting. Wheat is a long shot dry as it is but oats may work.
After the fifties drouth most around here went to planting fall oats and spring hay grazer. The native grasses and forbes were just gone.
Just an option.

your right wheat an oats could be dryed in.but you might only get enough rain to bring it up,an then rain no more.wich will kill what ever you planted.

bigbull338":3q240bxp said:
your right wheat an oats could be dryed in.but you might only get enough rain to bring it up,an then rain no more.wich will kill what ever you planted.
The past two years I've seen and been amazed at the drought hardiness of oats....but it has been so dry the past year that I don't think moisture from a 2 inch rain would hang around long enough to germinate it....certainly don't have enough ground moisture for it to hang in 2 months for the next tenth of an inch.....

My land is ready to plant, has been since June....but don't see any good coming out of planting anything any time soon.

Im ready to plant rye, ryegrass, clover and turnip greens if we will just get a little moisture. Just have a few bulls left, just a little of that would get em through the winter... I have creek bottom that I always plant nomatter what.. Give it a shot u got nuthin to loose but your time and seed. I wouldnt put out any fertilizer unless you drilled it into the ground.

houstoncutter":1bw98xz0 said:
CB you gonna put any clover in the mix, or just go straight ryegrass.

Too wet for crimson in the bottoms I usually plant it in the back hay field on the hill.
I have a pretty good stand of S1 white in the bottoms,

Latest posts