Animal ID

Help Support CattleToday:

I hope it never gets into full swing, but if it does, it will be costly to small farmers and will eliminate the basic human right to raise animals for food.

You'll still have the *ability* to raise food, mind you, but for the first time in this nation's history, you'll have to get the government's permission first.. Maybe it's just me, but the whole prospect of that kinda gives me the redass.

But, if you don't blindly agree with it, brainwashed supporters of the system will say you're paranoid, un-patriotic, or that you've got something to hide... Joseph McCarthy got a lot of people that way, but he didn't hold out forever.. People woke up then, and I think they're starting to wake up now..

The kind of blind following we see today only goes so far, historically, before people wake up and realize they're getting screwed... I think it's just a matter of time before all these so-called 'producers' realize that life was better when they were *FARMERS* -- not just cogs in the machinery of agribusiness -- and revolt against the USDA & Co., Inc.

If it passes, and is made mandatory, to stay in business you'll have to comply.I dont see what the big deal is.I got our premise ID 4 months ago, and have not heard another word since.I do think this Country has bigger problems than Livestock Tracking. Lets get rid of the Illegals and the Maggots sitting on death row in every State.

It won't hinder anyone's right to raise food. You can raise animals w/o identifying them with a tag. You'll only need a tag to relocate them. There's no conspiracy of big versus little, no government scheme to look over your shoulder, etc. It is a traceability and safety issue.

rk":24b8ohtw said:
It won't hinder anyone's right to raise food. You can raise animals w/o identifying them with a tag. You'll only need a tag to relocate them.

That may be true, but it would behoove a person to go ahead and get their premises and animal ID'd, in case you need the assistance of a vet one day. And before you come at me with an argument that you could have a vet come out to your place, you should read the part of the NAIS working draft where it talks about required reporting of animal "sightings" -- such as by a vet who works on a private farm.

Furthermore, given that most of us don't have the facilities to butcher our own animals, and given the fact that any reputable slaughterhouse would be USDA certified, doesn't it make sense that the butcher would be forced to refuse an untagged animal??

rk":24b8ohtw said:
There's no conspiracy of big versus little, no government scheme to look over your shoulder, etc. It is a traceability and safety issue.

Of course not, because the government always knows and does what's best for us...

Right? :roll:

Making their proposed system work with cattle will be extremely difficult in the real world- but the nightmare will come with horses...

As proposed horses will need to be inspected and/or have a movement report filed every time they leave a designated area (county ?) and/or are comingled with other horses or animals...That would mean getting the inspection and/or filing a movement report each time you went to a neighbors to help brand, sort cattle, trail to pasture- or when your neighbors came over to help you and brought their horses...Also each evening you went to team rope, o-mok-see, rodeo, trailride, or whatever....

I don't think those folks in DC or that sat on the advisory committees have seen the real world for some time.... :roll:

cmjust0":xwe7q60v said:
rk":xwe7q60v said:
It won't hinder anyone's right to raise food. You can raise animals w/o identifying them with a tag. You'll only need a tag to relocate them.

That may be true, but it would behoove a person to go ahead and get their premises and animal ID'd, in case you need the assistance of a vet one day. And before you come at me with an argument that you could have a vet come out to your place, you should read the part of the NAIS working draft where it talks about required reporting of animal "sightings" -- such as by a vet who works on a private farm.

Furthermore, given that most of us don't have the facilities to butcher our own animals, and given the fact that any reputable slaughterhouse would be USDA certified, doesn't it make sense that the butcher would be forced to refuse an untagged animal??

rk":xwe7q60v said:
There's no conspiracy of big versus little, no government scheme to look over your shoulder, etc. It is a traceability and safety issue.

Of course not, because the government always knows and does what's best for us...

Right? :roll:
You may be right, but I think it's giving the government way, way too much credit!

*Cowgirl*":37gumtk7 said:
What impact do you think that the Animal ID program will have on the cattle industry when it's in full swing?

I think it will help US beef compete with meat from countries that can already verify where the animal was raised, fed and killed.

I think it will help with any disease outbreaks.

I think it will finally allow those producers who are raising quality cattle to benefit from their hard work, if they choose to share the data on their cattle with buyers.

Frankie":1buq7jwb said:
*Cowgirl*":1buq7jwb said:
What impact do you think that the Animal ID program will have on the cattle industry when it's in full swing?

I think it will help US beef compete with meat from countries that can already verify where the animal was raised, fed and killed.

I think it will help with any disease outbreaks.

I think it will finally allow those producers who are raising quality cattle to benefit from their hard work, if they choose to share the data on their cattle with buyers.

Frankie- I agree that ID will allow the cattle industry to better compete in global trade- but I also believe it should have been/should be brought about by offering incentives such as premiums and not by running to the government to have another mandate put on the home folk....McDonalds says they want IDed, source verified cattle- great-- then McDonalds should offer a big enough premium for these cattle and I'm sure they will have all they can use--But don't go running to the government and say that everyone has to be in the program just so they can get cheaper source verified cattle.....

An incentive driven program could/would be up and running today- but USDA went the wrong direction and immediately said the nasty words that freedom loving Americans do not like to hear- mandate and mandatory...They now face an uphill battle, legal wrangling and it could be 10 years before they get a system in place....

I know the feeders and buyers in my area are still saying that the tags are a waste of your money- they prefer permanent ID (hot iron brands), state brand inspection certificates, and signed affidavits.....