Cattle thread-national cattle ID........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
I got my BEEF TODAY magazine and it looks like they are at it again. I know this has been posted here many times and I could rant and rave about it, but everybody has their stories also.

If and when this passes it maybe the last straw and for a lot of people. All livestock having a serial # no doubt would turn into a cluster, and just having a number would be the beginning as you can only imagine.

Producers and animal health officials take another crack at a standardized national cattle ID system

https://www.beefmagazine.com/animal-hea ... aceability

ddd75":2fa647xf said:
these vets know how to get the dollar.

Probably eventually will need one to pronounce a cow officially dead and see to a proper burial. Also to receive a death certificate so you can show she no longer lives and you can take her off the records. If Ole Sally dies and she is still on the National registry you can bet the fine will be a lot greater that the vet bill.

Cows with IDs...somewhere in the bowels of Washington DC there is a bureaucrat rubbing his/her hands gleefully at the prospect of hiring an army of enforcement lackeys to make sure your cow is legal.
And yet, we don't have a national voter id 'system' yet.or even a working national citizen id yet....one that's truly enforced anyway.

bird dog":1ls1ifnd said:
ddd75":1ls1ifnd said:

I couldn't get the article to come up but why would you need a vet involved?

the vets are the ones doing this. They lobbied for all the medication changes last year.

now they are telling congress they need to do this tracking system.

It all about getting a vet to come to your farm to do about everything.

ddd75":1dnlwyev said:
bird dog":1dnlwyev said:
ddd75":1dnlwyev said:

the vets are the ones doing this. They lobbied for all the medication changes last year.

I do that already.

TennesseeTuxedo":62exe84b said:
ddd75":62exe84b said:
bird dog":62exe84b said:

I do that already.

awesome

I didn't read the article. But are they talking about a 840 RFID tag? We already need those in Michigan if it's ever going to leave the property it was born on

ddd75":31gwxaqk said:
TennesseeTuxedo":31gwxaqk said:
ddd75":31gwxaqk said:

I do that already.

awesome

Thanks, I've always been ahead of the trends.

Well ddd that may be true in your area but here the vets hate the medication changes. Just more work for them. There is not near enough vets to go around as is. Most will not come to the farm unless its a dire emergency. If you ask them to come out to put in an ear tag, they would laugh you out of the office.

ddd75":21bkdfk4 said:
bird dog":21bkdfk4 said:
ddd75":21bkdfk4 said:

Triple d,

The vets I have talked to oppose the medication changes. I don't know the vet's position on ID tracking. So I cannot say but I know a few vets here and in Missouri and everyone of them say the medication changes complicate practices for their clients and they are opposed to it.

I think EID tags are a good thing myself. Hauling cattle across state lines is a joke and a waste of time now. Most of the time the DOT will count the animals but that's it.

They will force US citizens to tag with RFID tags, have a mountain of paper, and put every beef producer under their thumb, because US beef is so diseased ridden, and hard to trace.
All the while JBS imports meat product from Brazil that come from who knows where, and we can't even get them to label it as Brazilian beef. :roll:

Last time I checked a tag never stopped a disease outbreak from happening, just slowed it from spreading.

ddd75":2ozj8482 said:
bird dog":2ozj8482 said:
ddd75":2ozj8482 said:

Don't confuse local Vets, mostly large animal vets, with the American Veterinary Medical Association, which is the one doing most of the lobbying in D.C.
The VFD was back by the AVMA.

kenny thomas":1a377qwk said:
The day i have to ID tag and give info to the government will be the day my stuff is all for sale.
It won't be long Kenny, you're going to need to go into sheep or goats. Kenny the old goat roper.

sim.-ang.king":11ncnrpu said:
ddd75":11ncnrpu said:
bird dog":11ncnrpu said:

Don't confuse local Vets, mostly large animal vets, with the American Veterinary Medical Association, which is the one doing most of the lobbying in D.C.
The VFD was back by the AVMA.

this is who i'm talking about..
i'm not talking about local vets.

True Grit Farms":3d2kpuk9 said:
kenny thomas":3d2kpuk9 said:
The day i have to ID tag and give info to the government will be the day my stuff is all for sale.
It won't be long Kenny, you're going to need to go into sheep or goats. Kenny the old goat roper.

Kenny is about like me and most as they know it will end up more than just a tag. The government will own the cattle business. There sure isn't enough money in it to put up with the BS that will come out of it. Your calves don't marble like they should we are buying your calves cheap, we don't like you cattle's DNA, there will be a government spread sheet on producers cattle and the producer will be required to keep all these records. Somebody died from eating meat from your cattle that (maybe stale) but the farmer may even get charged with manslaughter. It will not help prices either, what a cluster (almost a joke to use tractability as an excuse)

Latest posts