Animal Protein for Pigs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Friend of mine had a line on day old krispy kreme donuts and raised "donut- fed pork" . I thought it was hilarious. Pretty fatty meat tho!

boondocks":2b5n6apf said:
Friend of mine had a line on day old krispy kreme donuts and raised "donut- fed pork" . I thought it was hilarious. Pretty fatty meat tho!
I checked with the Asian donut shop in town. They wanted to charge me $15 for every 5 dozen they throw away!!!!!! Are they crazy. I told them they could smash them into a ball and to make sure I wasn't trying to sell them but they still wouldn't budge. Our grocery store donates EVERY thing to the food banks. They get a tax write off.

boondocks":20ftm3ke said:

If you feed stuff like that you have to offset it with good protein. My pigs have unlimited bread and milk and grain

BK9954":20ftm3ke said:
boondocks":20ftm3ke said:
I checked with the Asian donut shop in town. They wanted to charge me $15 for every 5 dozen they throw away!!!!!! Are they crazy. I told them they could smash them into a ball and to make sure I wasn't trying to sell them but they still wouldn't budge. Our grocery store donates EVERY thing to the food banks. They get a tax write off.

BK go to the food banks they throw away that food once it gets bad. If you were here I could give you thousands of lbs of veggies I am getting from a produce place that supplies restaurants. They toss about 30,000 lbs per week of stuff. There is also a ramen noodle place giving reject noodles away here.

msplmtneer":r6bm3hqd said:
Check with restaurants there was a show on Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs where a man had a large hog operation and he got most of his feed from what restaurants threw out. :tiphat:
Pretty sure USDA makes you cook that. I run a restuarant. That's where I get my produce and old bread.

Yep, Campbell soups used to give their rejects and waste to livestock producers. Now it has to be boiled first, therefore goes to a landfill. Has to be boiled to prevent botulism I suppose.

Dave":2q1rgqmk said:
I knew a guy who trapped a lot of muskrats and bought muskrats in the round from school kids. He had a window in his fur shed that faced a pig pen. The muskrat carcasses went out the window and was the biggest portion of the pigs diet.
One winter I had some pigs that I fed boiled beaver and barley. They grew great but were sort of a mean bunch. I don't think you would have wanted to trip in their pen.

The stories about guys having a heart attack in the pig pen and being basically gone by the time they find them are real.

Didn't the mob have interest in a hog farm north of Las Vegas?

Might check with the day old bread stores. Anything they don;t sell after a time they throw it out.

TexasBred":2u8h29ys said:
sim.-ang.king":2u8h29ys said:
If only you knew how much pig went into pig feed.
What pork based products do you all mix into your feed Sim.
Well phase 1 pig starter is about 25% pig plasma, and cost about $75 a bag. They also get quite a bit of blood and bone meal throughout the feeding phase, which is sourced mainly from pig and chicken processing.

sim.-ang.king":2mrdr86g said:
TexasBred":2mrdr86g said:
sim.-ang.king":2mrdr86g said:
If only you knew how much pig went into pig feed.
Well phase 1 pig starter is about 25% pig plasma, and cost about $75 a bag. They also get quite a bit of blood and bone meal throughout the feeding phase, which is sourced mainly from pig and chicken processing.
Figured that was what it was but wasn't sure. Thank you sir.

dun":2cm2wjf3 said:
Might check with the day old bread stores. Anything they don;t sell after a time they throw it out.

Here they don't throw it out just wait for people like me to buy it and feed it to animals. They charge you for it and im ok with that where else can you buy hostess cakes and such by the pick up load for 20.00 bucks :lol: :lol: They take it off the shelves a week or two sometimes before its expired either way the pigs love it.

skyhightree1":20rskm2g said:
dun":20rskm2g said:

Here they don't throw it out just wait for people like me to buy it and feed it to animals. They charge you for it and im ok with that where else can you buy hostess cakes and such by the pick up load for 20.00 bucks :lol: :lol: They take it off the shelves a week or two sometimes before its expired either way the pigs love it.

And Ol' Sky has been known to wolf down a couple dozen cupcakes and twinkies from time to time as well. :hide:

TexasBred":3askwkc3 said:
sim.-ang.king":3askwkc3 said:
TexasBred":3askwkc3 said:
Sometimes they do also get processing or rendering waste, but it's mostly fat, so not a whole lot.

TexasBred":3kxe8ovo said:
skyhightree1":3kxe8ovo said:
dun":3kxe8ovo said:

And Ol' Sky has been known to wolf down a couple dozen cupcakes and twinkies from time to time as well. :hide:

You are correct after handling a couple hundred and unwrapping them you get hungry :oops:

sim.-ang.king":1o6jd99k said:
TexasBred":1o6jd99k said:
sim.-ang.king":1o6jd99k said:
Sometimes they do also get processing or rendering waste, but it's mostly fat, so not a whole lot.
PUre energy...should make for one heck of a diet.

bball":k224mwrm said:
https://youtu.be/kBvCPTK1MmY
Advice from a professional.
This is the first thing I thought of when reading this thread!

The second thing was listening to a bunch of old timers at the feed mill years ago talking about chicken eating sows. They said you had to get rid of them because the sows would run themselves ragged once they got the taste of chicken. Couldn't put any weight on them, they'd run it all off chasing hens around.

Landed a gig with a local Mexican produce store. They let me pick up all the old produce every day. Getting it by the truck full. So far they have been the most helpful. This, popeyes chicken, distillers grain and a mix of piG feed and crushed corn is working okay. Crushed corn $5.25 a bag but I don't have to feed to much with all the potatoes and fruit I am getting.