Animal Protein for Pigs?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Got a great line up on daily fried chicken for my pigs. We debone it and feed them the chicken and breading. Animal protein is okay correct. They are also on a diet of distillers corn grain, crushed corn and fresh fruit and veggie trimmings.

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
Jake":1dt0k4qn said:
BK9954":1dt0k4qn said:
kenny thomas":1dt0k4qn said:
Why debone it?
I dont want them to choke or have one splinter in there stomach or intestines.

They are hogs, they'll crush the bones. No sense in going through the extra work.

:nod: :nod:

Whether the chicken is fried or not!

At one time, I had a hog pen adjacent to my chicken pen. Long story short, the hogs had 'rooted' a good sized hole along the fenceline, big enough for a chicken to fit through it. Every now and then, a chicken would fall through the hole, start to pace the fenceline and one of the hogs would grab it and eat it! :shock: :lol2: Yeah, I changed locations for the hog pen. :lol2: Those jokers ate at least 20 birds before I figured out what was happening.

TexasBred

Reaction score
Won't hurt a thing. MIght want to give them a bit of baked chicken or BBQ yard bird occasionally just for a change ;-)

Ol' 243

Reaction score
I don't know . . . . . . . .I wouldn't take a chance, I'd debone it and remove the skin if it were me.

Muddy

Reaction score
When we had hogs, we would feed them dead chickens (we live on a commercial broiler chicken farm) and filleted fishes and there isn't any single bone left after the hogs cleaned up.

OP
BK9954

BK9954

Reaction score
Muddy":gox3yttv said:
When we had hogs, we would feed them dead chickens (we live on a commercial broiler chicken farm) and filleted fishes and there isn't any single bone left after the hogs cleaned up.
Yeah I know my wild hogs eat anything just never heard of piG farmerS doing it. Wasn't sure if it affected flavor or meat quality. The protein content is a great make up for what the slop doesn't have. They eat every scrap.

skyhightree1

Reaction score
We've never fed ours meat not going to start either. I have found a diet all my customers love the meat so I wouldn't change it. Plus I just personall won't feed mine meat.

Dave

Reaction score
I knew a guy who trapped a lot of muskrats and bought muskrats in the round from school kids. He had a window in his fur shed that faced a pig pen. The muskrat carcasses went out the window and was the biggest portion of the pigs diet.
One winter I had some pigs that I fed boiled beaver and barley. They grew great but were sort of a mean bunch. I don't think you would have wanted to trip in their pen.

OP
BK9954

BK9954

Reaction score
Dave":1alvtdng said:
I knew a guy who trapped a lot of muskrats and bought muskrats in the round from school kids. He had a window in his fur shed that faced a pig pen. The muskrat carcasses went out the window and was the biggest portion of the pigs diet.
One winter I had some pigs that I fed boiled beaver and barley. They grew great but were sort of a mean bunch. I don't think you would have wanted to trip in their pen.
Heck I might could feed them wild hog, cooked. I have a ton of those here.

dun

Reaction score
When we raised rabbits commercially the guts, head, feet and tails all went to the pigs.

Muddy

Reaction score
TexasBred":21w6u0jy said:
sim.-ang.king":21w6u0jy said:
If only you knew how much pig went into pig feed.
What pork based products do you all mix into your feed Sim.
I know a pig farmer will pick up pet food wastes from my work (pet food industry). We use a lot of pork for dog food and they all go to the hogs.

Latest posts