Cattle thread-national cattle ID........

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":jlpm12xp said:
kenny thomas":jlpm12xp said:
The day i have to ID tag and give info to the government will be the day my stuff is all for sale.
It won't be long Kenny, you're going to need to go into sheep or goats. Kenny the old goat roper.
Oh, but the goats would have to be ID ed also I bet. And probably the rope would have it's special tag too.
Oh wait, goats already have to have a metal tag to sell here.

jltrent":3ozpq8c8 said:
True Grit Farms":3ozpq8c8 said:
kenny thomas":3ozpq8c8 said:
The day i have to ID tag and give info to the government will be the day my stuff is all for sale.
It won't be long Kenny, you're going to need to go into sheep or goats. Kenny the old goat roper.

Kenny is about like me and most as they know it will end up more than just a tag. The government will own the cattle business. There sure isn't enough money in it to put up with the BS that will come out of it. Your calves don't marble like they should we are buying your calves cheap, we don't like you cattle's DNA, there will be a government spread sheet on producers cattle and the producer will be required to keep all these records. Somebody died from eating meat from your cattle that (maybe stale) but the farmer may even get charged with manslaughter. It will not help prices either, what a cluster (almost a joke to use tractability as an excuse)
I hope your wrong JL, government isn't going anywhere. Hopefully NCBA or someone else in the know has the sense to add perks into the EID deal to hamper beef imports, help our exports and make it easier for us to sell to the public.

True Grit Farms":3k5zntws said:
jltrent":3k5zntws said:
True Grit Farms":3k5zntws said:

Kenny is about like me and most as they know it will end up more than just a tag. The government will own the cattle business. There sure isn't enough money in it to put up with the BS that will come out of it. Your calves don't marble like they should we are buying your calves cheap, we don't like you cattle's DNA, there will be a government spread sheet on producers cattle and the producer will be required to keep all these records. Somebody died from eating meat from your cattle that (maybe stale) but the farmer may even get charged with manslaughter. It will not help prices either, what a cluster (almost a joke to use tractability as an excuse)
I hope your wrong JL, government isn't going anywhere. Hopefully NCBA or someone else in the know has the sense to add perks into the EID deal to hamper beef imports, help our exports and make it easier for us to sell to the public.
I have lived in the cattle business all my life and listen to my dad. If there are any perks that come out of EID you can bet it want last. Prices may go up though as it will put a lot out of business. We use to milk the government put us out and now only a few make it, we use to grow tobacco it is gone for most, I see beef cattle next. Maybe I can plant the ole farm in Christmas trees.

kenny thomas":4potpy8x said:
True Grit Farms":4potpy8x said:
kenny thomas":4potpy8x said:
Oh, but the goats would have to be ID ed also I bet. And probably the rope would have it's special tag too.
Oh wait, goats already have to have a metal tag to sell here.
I saw this same thing pan out in the fishing industry. I fought it hard, paid fines and attorneys to fight the government. Didn't do anything but spend money and waste time. It's going to stink for you and me but my son and the younger generation is going to reap the benefits. The first 10 years stunk, the next 10 were alright and this last 10 has been really good. We screwed up by not adding a couple of of things in, like no leasing of permits or quota.

When this came up before the Extension Service pushed it hard. Somehow they were going to get money out if the deal. They even talked a few people into registering their farms. I had 11 farms at that time and they said each would need to be registered and any time I moved a cow, bull whatever from one to another I would have to keep a record of it.
I told them the same thing then, the day it happens is the day mine are for sale.
Yes I'm old and cranky, but I ain't going to do it. That's the bottom line.

jltrent":1ybme0dx said:
True Grit Farms":1ybme0dx said:
jltrent":1ybme0dx said:
I have lived in the cattle business all my life and listen to my dad. If there are any perks that come out of EID you can bet it want last. Prices may go up though as it will put a lot out of business. We use to milk the government put us out and now only a few make it, we use to grow tobacco it is gone for most, I see beef cattle next. Maybe I can plant the ole farm in Christmas trees.
Or just figure out how to make it work and reap the benefits. I'm so glad I didn't quit and sell out of the fishing business like so many did. I have friends that said screw it and got out of fishing business and now they want back in. But the permits are $200k+ and you still have to buy fish quota. We'd of been better off if the government would of just left us alone, but that wasn't going to happen. Now we're getting some of the fishing restrictions lifted, but only those who stuck it out, OR bought in are reaping the benefits.

True Grit Farms":218c0knk said:
jltrent":218c0knk said:
True Grit Farms":218c0knk said:
Or just figure out how to make it work and reap the benefits. I'm so glad I didn't quit and sell out of the fishing business like so many did. I have friends that said screw it and got out of fishing business and now they want back in. But the permits are $200k+ and you still have to buy fish quota. We'd of been better off if the government would of just left us alone, but that wasn't going to happen. Now we're getting some of the fishing restrictions lifted, but only those who stuck it out, OR bought in are reaping the benefits.
I will need to hire people to make it work and at current prices I don't see it. You are speaking of young generation to reap the benefits, around here most of the younger generation don't know which end the cows azz is.

jltrent":w7jl9j0l said:
True Grit Farms":w7jl9j0l said:
jltrent":w7jl9j0l said:

JTrent your dad sounds like a wise man.

To see how wonderful the EID system works all one needs to do is look at the horse meat scandal that occurred in the EU back in 2013 where in some cases 100% of the hamburger in stores was horse meat. If you recall, this was along about the time they tried to push this same system on us before and they used the EU model as a poster child of how great the system worked.

Did work great for government though since you have to have a health inspector present when you load and unload livestock on a trailer and you have to hire a certified livestock handler to haul your animals.

Jogeephus":35tqltum said:
jltrent":35tqltum said:
True Grit Farms":35tqltum said:

JTrent your dad sounds like a wise man.

To see how wonderful the EID system works all one needs to do is look at the horse meat scandal that occurred in the EU back in 2013 where in some cases 100% of the hamburger in stores was horse meat. If you recall, this was along about the time they tried to push this same system on us before and they used the EU model as a poster child of how great the system worked.

Did work great for government though since you have to have a health inspector present when you load and unload livestock on a trailer and you have to hire a certified livestock handler to haul your animals.

He taught me to crawl before I walk in the farming business. I am still crawling. Mostly concerned about others as I have a lot of wonderful neighbors that have done a lot of walking in the farming business and if this passes they will probably be singing a little song at their place. It will be very sad day.

True Grit Farms":2pzeoo7a said:
skyhightree1":2pzeoo7a said:
kenny thomas":2pzeoo7a said:

I agree..
At least you guy's don't have to have cows to post on CT.
:lol:
Planning on keeping no more than 30 Mama's so maybe they will have a minimum # and I'll be under that

EID tags will be required within 5 years for any cattle that are sold or bartered. The major hold up right now is some states are using different RF than other states. Everything needs to be standardized from state to state. The way it's supposedly going to work in Georgia is all the sale barns will be required to have all the cattle EID tagged before they can be sold. Its going to be another tax on cattle similar to the beef checkoff. Supposedly no traceability is holding US beef back in some export markets. And not requiring EID tags in the US of A is only helping Canada and Australia to sell their beef? I brought up COOL and trying to add that into the EID mandate and got shouted down both times. The big dogs are crooks.

recording breaking beef exports beating records all the time.

more BS from lobbyists.

ddd75":2nq64a7e said:
recording breaking beef exports beating records all the time.

more BS from lobbyists.
You know why that is, but can you imagine if he could push our product on traceability like what our competitors are doing? I asked the question, "how do you trace the beef once the head is cut off" and there's no real good answer to that. This is what concerns me most. Think COOL, I'm all for US beef don't let our neighbors sell there's with ours. Well if they fight our wars and pay our taxes.....maybe we could work something out.

"Hopefully NCBA or someone else in the know has the sense to add perks into the EID deal to hamper beef imports, help our exports and make it easier for us to sell to the public,"

Who do you think is one of the main drivers behind this crap? NCBA. IS.
Along with Jason Clay of the Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef & The World Wildlife Federation.
This entire thing stinks to high heaven. It's so heavily layered it's almost impossible to research these organizations and find the real instigator and intent.

NCBA was instrumental in repelling COOL and opening doors for beef imports...they're all about helping the packer. NCBA couldn't care less about the American producer. You gotta think globally now. Agenda 21 or 23 or whatever it's called now. No borders.

Chocolate Cow2":1lam4pqz said:
"Hopefully NCBA or someone else in the know has the sense to add perks into the EID deal to hamper beef imports, help our exports and make it easier for us to sell to the public,"

Who do you think is one of the main drivers behind this crap? NCBA. IS.
Along with Jason Clay of the Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef & The World Wildlife Federation.
This entire thing stinks to high heaven. It's so heavily layered it's almost impossible to research these organizations and find the real instigator and intent.

NCBA was instrumental in repelling COOL and opening doors for beef imports...they're all about helping the packer. NCBA couldn't care less about the American producer. You gotta think globally now. Agenda 21 or 23 or whatever it's called now. No borders.
I'm with you on NCBA, my wife is tied into the organization through a back door so I'm not posting how I actually feel anymore. I did wear my R-CALF hat when Mr Kestner? the 2018 NCBA president from CA addressed the GCA at our summer conference though. But that still doesn't help US export more US beef, Australia and Canada are kicking our tail percentage wise on exported beef. And there's no reason for it with the money we spend as a country abroad.

R-CALF is the only organization that I see that is actually for the farmer. NCBA is a bunch of azz kissing idiots that are for the organizations that are getting bigger and controlling everything. All dairy animals have to be tagged, including baby bull calves. And if they are tagged, and then 5 more owners down the road do something like ship them with antibiotics in them....they come back to the original owner due to the tag????? Have heard how the tag # will follow through each owner...BS. And all sheep have to have a tag also now, scapie elimination and all that....

Latest posts