Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

brierpatch1974

Reaction score
I been looking at pics all across the web and I know I know nothing about cattle but to me it seems the best black angus out there have a lot less muscle than some of the other breeds. Like the charolais, and herefords for example. Or maybe its just the pics I looked at. But the do seem smaller to me. If they are smaller and less muscle theny why the heck do they sale so well?

BP

brierpatch1974":2dkq7wva said:
I been looking at pics all across the web and I know I know nothing about cattle but to me it seems the best black angus out there have a lot less muscle than some of the other breeds. Like the charolais, and herefords for example. Or maybe its just the pics I looked at. But the do seem smaller to me. If they are smaller and less muscle theny why the heck do they sale so well?

BP

When you get that figured out please let us know.

Might be just the "Breed Du Jour" of the day.

brierpatch1974":bpboz2n0 said:

BP

Heavily muscled breeds tend to have calving problems. The rate of gain on a dead calf is very low. :p Plus when a cow has trouble delivering a calf, she'll often be late cycling for the next calf. More and more cattle are being sold on some sort of grid marketing program. Many of those reward quality grade (marbling) and Angus do that well. Angus don't get docked at the sale barn as badly as some other breeds. An Angus bull will turn your calves black, so your calf crop is a uniform color, and take the horns off most of them. Certified Angus Beef (CAB) pays a premium for all animals that meet their specifications and the animal has to be mostly black or sired by an Angus bull. There's a lot of diversity in the Angus breed, but I don't know that Angus are necessarily smaller than other breeds. There are some big Angus cattle around and Limousin and Simmental have moderated frame on their cattle in the last few years.

people try to compare angus to charolais and etc all the time. not only are they different breeds but they are different types of cattle all together. its like comparing apples to oranges.

Beefy":3jzoli4k said:
people try to compare angus to charolais and etc all the time. not only are they different breeds but they are different types of cattle all together. its like comparing apples to oranges.

Right Beefy!

POUNDS is the first Premium for a rancher. Heterosis contributes tremendously.

ALL MARC studies point to a Cont X Brit being the most perfect beef animal.

To quote another wise Rancher:

'I have a dream of a country where cattle are judged not on the colour of their hide but the strength of their carcass. where red baldies and black baldies can feed together without discrimination. I have a dream'.

I'd argue that pounds are always premium. At almost $15 difference, a Select animal will have to really outweigh a Choice animal to make up the difference. And if you fall to a Standard..... :shock: Why not raise one that will weigh out AND produce Choice or better? It doesn't have to be one or the other.

BTW, I also have a dream. It includes nothing but black cattle "from sea to shining sea". ;-)

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lm_ct155.txt

FF wrote:I'd argue that pounds are always premium.

I have a feeling you'd argue with a stop sign too. :lol:

I didn't say "Pounds are ALWAYS" a premium.

I said pounds are the "FIRST" premium. Because most producers sell weaned calves, Pounds are their first premium.

You want to argue Yield Grades too? :lol: :lol:

MikeC":2dp154yj said:
FF wrote:I'd argue that pounds are always premium.

I have a feeling you'd argue with a stop sign too. :lol:

Nope, never argue with a stop sign. They're always right. You're not.

I didn't say "Pounds are ALWAYS" a premium.

I said pounds are the "FIRST" premium. Because most producers sell weaned calves, Pounds are their first premium.

But every pound of beef or meat is not valued the same. That's why black cattle tend to sell better than other breeds, all other things being equal. Consumers will pay more for quality beef. Retailers will pay more for quality beef. Packers and feedlots pay more for cattle they THINK will produce quality beef. So maybe pounds are the first premium, maybe not. On the RFD auctions I've seen black calves sell higher than similar weight calves of other colors. I'll bet you have, too.

You want to argue Yield Grades too? :lol: :lol:

Sure. If you want, I'll see if I can AGAIN find the Drovers article where the Future Beef rep said cows that produced YG 1 calves were less likely to breed back and wouldn't stay in the herd as long. Surely you remember it, though.

FF wrote: I'll see if I can AGAIN find the Drovers article where the Future Beef rep said cows that produced YG 1 calves were less likely to breed back and wouldn't stay in the herd as long. Surely you remember it, though.

You want me to have Dr. Henderson tell you why that guy was fired from Future Beef?

You love "Black" so much, I bet you're even married to a "Blacksmith". :lol:

Frankie":27jo43ck said:
I'd argue that pounds are always premium. At almost $15 difference, a Select animal will have to really outweigh a Choice animal to make up the difference. And if you fall to a Standard..... :shock: Why not raise one that will weigh out AND produce Choice or better? It doesn't have to be one or the other.

BTW, I also have a dream. It includes nothing but black cattle "from sea to shining sea". ;-)

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lm_ct155.txt

I believe that you would be speaking for the packer, not the cattleman. :)

Frankie wrote:

"Choo Choo - watch out for that train!! It's just starting to gain speed. "

" You went and got the resident angus journal copy and paste queen fired up."

Here we go again. Everyone on board!!!! This beats Jerry Springer.

"Heavily muscled breeds tend to have calving problems. The rate of gain on a dead calf is very low"

Yes maam, you are right. My friend had 8 pulls, 2 cows dead and all 8 calves. But, they were bred to a "lbw angus bull." That's how they were sold as. F1's bred to lbw angus bulls. I'm running Charolais, no pulls. Tend being the key word.

CowpokeJ":1u4bvlrb said:
"Heavily muscled breeds tend to have calving problems. The rate of gain on a dead calf is very low"

Yes maam, you are right. My friend had 8 pulls, 2 cows dead and all 8 calves. But, they were bred to a "lbw angus bull." That's how they were sold as. F1's bred to lbw angus bulls. I'm running Charolais, no pulls. Tend being the key word.

Sounds like the problem was the seller ,not the bull .

CowpokeJ":3d1703rs said:

I'd say somebody lied to your friend. Dont blame the breed, blame the liar.

msscamp":2hwjyz7z said:
john250":2hwjyz7z said:
Because they (Angus) taste reaaaaal good!

Yeah, right!

I like Angus beef, If your not going to eat your steak, pass it over please. :lol:

I honestly believe every breed has the possibility of making a great steak. I think it has more to do with management than the breed of the animal.

But if anybody thinks they have a breed that doesnt make good steak, send me a couple of steaks and I will grill them up and try them for you. :lol:

3MR":31sj4c5b said:
msscamp":31sj4c5b said:
john250":31sj4c5b said:

Yeah, right!

I like Angus beef, If your not going to eat your steak, pass it over please. :lol:

I honestly believe every breed has the possibility of making a great steak. I think it has more to do with management than the breed of the animal.

:oops: Ok, point taken. I just get a little tired of having Angus and CAB rammed down my throat, they are not the be all, do all, end all breed.

msscamp":39coqt5u said:
3MR":39coqt5u said:
msscamp":39coqt5u said:
john250":39coqt5u said:

Yeah, right!

:oops: Ok, point taken. I just get a little tired of having Angus and CAB rammed down my throat, they are not the be all, do all, end all breed.

No there not, but then CAB also isnt Doctor Evils latest plan to ruin cattle in America that many people make it out to be. Its just an excellent marketing tool, nothing more nothing less.

PS: I wasnt really directing that at you MsScamp. I realize just about everybody, if not everybody, on this thread was replying in a humerous manner.

Latest posts