Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus breeders and their associations or societies are excellent marketers. Some of the cattle are good but a lot are not. Here in Australia some Angus breeders are concerned that too much reliance is being placed on figures and the use of too few sires. The Angus gene pool which was very extensive is now being jeopardized here in Australia by using too much 036 and sons of his. Another sire that will be over used is Yellowstone and Ultravox. I'll be using a new Zealand blood sire next time round,Kaharau is my type of Angus. Thats my two cents worth.
Colin

"I'd say somebody lied to your friend. Dont blame the breed, blame the liar"

"Sounds like the problem was the seller ,not the bull"

The bull was still an Angus though. Thus proving Angus is not the fix all for lbw calves, it happens with every breed.

CowpokeJ":3i42qutr said:

The bull was still an Angus though. Thus proving Angus is not the fix all for lbw calves, it happens with every breed.

Well as far as we know it was just a black bull. If the breeder lied about everything else, what makes you think he was telling the truth about that. Not only that, even as much as people on here complain about it, people, even in the industry, continue to think, or call all black bulls and cows angus.

I even saw an advertisment in the classifieds for Angus. Then in the remarks it said "some with white faces"

I agree, no breed is a fix all, but no breed is also the root of all your problems.

3MR":1vl2ptfe said:
CowpokeJ":1vl2ptfe said:

Well as far as we know it was just a black bull. If the breeder lied about everything else, what makes you think he was telling the truth about that. Not only that, even as much as people on here complain about it, people, even in the industry, continue to think, or call all black bulls and cows angus.

I even saw an advertisment in the classifieds for Angus. Then in the remarks it said "some with white faces"

I agree, no breed is a fix all, but no breed is also the root of all your problems.
All his calves were black out of 70 something tigerstipe. I don't know much, but that is a pretty good Angus stamp to me. I agree with you on the second part, it's just some people think Angus is the best thing since sliced bread. I say whatever works in an individuals situation.

VanC":2sdokfqa said:
Alice":2sdokfqa said:
BTW, I love that signature!

Alice

I just noticed yours, too. Loved watching old W.C. Fields movies when I was a kid. My kind of guy!

Indeed! :nod:

Alice

CowpokeJ":2yge3yec said:
[ All his calves were black out of 70 something tigerstipe. I don't know much, but that is a pretty good Angus stamp to me.

hmm, thats funny. Thats exactly the opposite of what everybody is complaining about when they are proclaimng CAB as the root of all evil in the cattle industry. Thier argument being just because its black doesnt make it Angus, or even Angus influenced.

But with the rush to go black in many breeds, just because you have a black calf doesnt mean you had an Angus bull.

I would agree there was some Angus influence someplace, but with black being a dominant gene it wouldnt take much to kick out a black calf.

3MR":2qg5hbw1 said:
CowpokeJ":2qg5hbw1 said:
[ All his calves were black out of 70 something tigerstipe. I don't know much, but that is a pretty good Angus stamp to me.

hmm, thats funny. Thats exactly the opposite of what everybody is complaining about when they are proclaimng CAB as the root of all evil in the cattle industry. Thier argument being just because its black doesnt make it Angus, or even Angus influenced.

But with the rush to go black in many breeds, just because you have a black calf doesnt mean you had an Angus bull.

I would agree there was some Angus influence someplace, but with black being a dominant gene it wouldnt take much to kick out a black calf.
Ok, but you know as well as I do that the other "black" breeds don't throw 100%. With the CAB program it seems to me if you were an Angus producer that would hurt you. It's not really Certified Angus Beef if it's black maine.

CowpokeJ":qws4fujv said:
you know as well as I do that the other "black" breeds don't throw 100%.

Check your genetics again. If the bull is homozygous black it doesn;t matter what breed it is, the calves will be black.

dun

Are you sure even with a homozygous bull you are going to get black? If there is an animal, I'm sure it's expensive. Now why would you go through that much trouble to go buy a homozygous bull and breed him to f1's and call them lbw angus sired? Am I going to have to go out to the pasture and get a gene test to prove to you non-believers that it was in fact a Angus bull? I was trying to make a point, not argue about color. Not every single Angus bull is going to be lbw.

http://www.simmental.com.au/tech_newsit ... itance.pdf

CowpokeJ":n8jpojd6 said:
Not every single Angus bull is going to be lbw.
Who that knows anything about Angus cattle said that every single Angus bull was gong to be lbw

CowpokeJ":3cw85x7m said:
Are you sure even with a homozygous bull you are going to get black? If there is an animal, I'm sure it's expensive. Now why would you go through that much trouble to go buy a homozygous bull and breed him to f1's and call them lbw angus sired? Am I going to have to go out to the pasture and get a gene test to prove to you non-believers that it was in fact a Angus bull? I was trying to make a point, not argue about color. Not every single Angus bull is going to be lbw.

Here's how I see it. As you said, not every Angus bull is going to be lbw. If the seller told your friend it was, and your friend lost 2 cows and 8 calves, then it's possible the breeder is less than honest. If your friend simply bought an Angus bull and assumed it was low BW, then he is at fault. That's what EPD's and pedigree information are for. If a breeder can't or won't provide these to the buyer, the buyer should shop somewhere else.

As for the color thing, ANY homozygous black bull will produce black or gray, depending on what it's bred to. And no, just because it homozygous doesn't mean its going to be expensive. Lots of homozygous blacks out there of various quality in different breeds.

Now I'm not a big time angus man, but give the devil his due. Angus are like the New York Yankees, you either love them or hate them for the same reason, at the end of the day they are usually number in first place.

CowpokeJ":hj8qm7cd said:

The site you posted even points out that black is dominant. There are homozygous black bulls in about every breed except Hereford, Red Poll and Red Angus, there are even homozygous black Charolais. Without the oddball dilutors, it only takes one black gene to make an animal black (heterozygous) and if bred to a red cow half of the calves in theory will be red the other half black.

dun

rkm":2q0qtdpf said:
Now I'm not a big time angus man, but give the devil his due. Angus are like the New York Yankees, you either love them or hate them for the same reason, at the end of the day they are usually number in first place.

No truer words were ever spoken. If you talk baseball long enough, you end up talking about the Yankees. If you talk cattle, it eventually comes around to Angus.

Here's another parallel: Some say the Yankees win more than not because they have the money to buy better players, not particularly because it's a better organization. Some say Angus is number one because of top notch marketing, not particularly because of the breed itself.

KMacGinley":1d4jw1m5 said:
Alice":1d4jw1m5 said:
VanC":1d4jw1m5 said:
Alice":1d4jw1m5 said:
BTW, I love that signature!

Alice

I just noticed yours, too. Loved watching old W.C. Fields movies when I was a kid. My kind of guy!

Indeed! :nod:

Alice

Get a room you two. :D

:lol: :lol: Let's see.... we've gone from muscling in Angus to yield grades to birthweights to CAB to color genetics to W.C. Fields to the Yankees and back to Angus. Pretty typical thread, don't ya think? ;-)

VanC":127chuma said:
Let's see.... we've gone from muscling in Angus to yield grades to birthweights to CAB to color genetics to W.C. Fields to the Yankees and back to Angus. Pretty typical thread, don't ya think? ;-)

I had expected the "Why don;t you come and see me sometime line" line to be stuck in here by now.
But you're right, pretty typical

dun

Latest posts