Angus on RFD

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
The "Cattle Show" on RFD TV is going to run a series on cattle breeds and breed associations. Tonight they'll feature Angus. It's at 8pm (central) channel 379 on DirecTV.

Frankie":3tmkt3bq said:
The "Cattle Show" on RFD TV is going to run a series on cattle breeds and breed associations. Tonight they'll feature Angus. It's at 8pm (central) channel 379 on DirecTV.

Thanks for the info. I just got off the phone with the Angus Assoc. They won't register the offspring of my Black Regsitered RA bull and a registered BA cow. Tell tell me they only register calves from sires and dams registered with them. Oh, well their loss I will go with the RAAA.

They have also run, from time to time, The American Rancher, featuring some of the more well known ranches and herds. We buy cattle from Summitcrest, and I was tickled to see the ranch and Fred Johnson featured once. This year they seemed to show them just before the sale on Superior. I can't remember all the ranches they profiled, but they are all worth watching.

Well you guys are lucky you have RFDTV, the only time I get to watch it is when Im in Florida. But what really ticks me off about the cattle show is every single time I get to watch it, it is about Farm Safety for Kids or Cattle Dogs or Ultrasounding with Gerald Fry. The last episode I saw was about Hydraulic Squeeze chutes. For those of you who have seen these episodes you know what I mean. I felt they were ridiulous and really had nothing to do with a show entitled "The Cattle Show." Maybe one of these days I ll get a chance to see an episode of them showcasing a breed or a ranch.

P.S. WHat are some of the ranches and there breeds, that have been showcased on The American Rancher? I saw Starlake Herefords

ive only seen three episodes of the cattle show. one was about the Gyr breed. the one about angus tonight i happened onto by accident and then i saw another one about id tags that kept showing the same braunvieh cows over and over and over again.

On the American Rancher show, Ive seen Stevenson-Basin and Sitz featured. Both of those Angus. On the Cattle Show I've seen Chianina, Braunvieh, and the Gyr one mentioned by Beefy. Missed the one last night on Angus. A couple of weeks ago there was a Cattle Show on bull management that looked like it was going to be good but I fell asleep about 3 minutes into it and missed it.

CopeMan":fdiad11v said:
Well you guys are lucky you have RFDTV, the only time I get to watch it is when Im in Florida. But what really ticks me off about the cattle show is every single time I get to watch it, it is about Farm Safety for Kids or Cattle Dogs or Ultrasounding with Gerald Fry.

Hey CopeMan, get yourself a Direct TV satellite receiver. I used to live so far out that the only cable around was the one on my Jeep's winch. Now they bury the stuff or hang it eveyrwhere. I used the have the Big Old Dish but converted to the Little Dish some years back. Cheaper than cable by far. I don't get all the movies and such as I don't have time to watch them so my bill runs about $42/month. Just a thought.

Wouldn't we learn more if, instead of everybody bragging up their breed on these shows(what does this prove, asking loaded questions), we could have the Hereford guys talk about the Angus cattle, and the Angus guys talk about the Simmental cattle, and vice versa? Sometimes I think we learn more by looking at the "Bad" of the breed, rather than the good, since everybody is going the same way anyway.

mtnman

mtnman":1vws5t93 said:
Wouldn't we learn more if, instead of everybody bragging up their breed on these shows(what does this prove, asking loaded questions), we could have the Hereford guys talk about the Angus cattle, and the Angus guys talk about the Simmental cattle, and vice versa? Sometimes I think we learn more by looking at the "Bad" of the breed, rather than the good, since everybody is going the same way anyway.

mtnman

I agree, being the rookie I am. I've watched a number of the shows, and frankly I come away knowing nothing more than their breed is the best. Makes me wonder how all the real cattlemen finally decide on a specific breed? Sure, after reading a number of threads on this site, I understanding your trying to find the breed that best suits your area and needs, but I would think multiple breeds would ultimately work in any one area. Guess it's a matter of choice and what looks good in your fields? Sorry if this is over simplifying the actual process... :oops:

Wish I had the time to watch some of these shows. Thing is most of them come on in the middle of the day or early in the evening, so I'm either at work or doing chores. If they on now I wouldn't be able to keep up with the interesting posts here. Hell not to have a life :D

I have digital cable. I need to think about getting RFDTV, cause I could watch it all day or at least until Big Joe Polka Fest comes on ...lol. Even when they showcase a breed it still boring, all they show is the same cattle repeated. I forgot that I had seen the bucking bull episode...

RainMan":3diybxgn said:
I've watched a number of the shows, and frankly I come away knowing nothing more than their breed is the best. Makes me wonder how all the real cattlemen finally decide on a specific breed? Sure, after reading a number of threads on this site, I understanding your trying to find the breed that best suits your area and needs, but I would think multiple breeds would ultimately work in any one area. Guess it's a matter of choice and what looks good in your fields? Sorry if this is over simplifying the actual process... :oops:

Since different breeds generally fit different marketing schemes and grids, you have to determine how you plan on marketing the animals. That has to be the first step. But you also have to like to look at what you have in your pasture. If you really like Herefords and hate Angus for whatever reason, you generally won;t do as well with the Angus. If you just like raising cattle the ones that are the trouble free moneymakers will be favored.
Nearly every breed has something to like and dislike about them. Some just better fit a specific managment and marketing scheme.

dun

CopeMan":3d8diwj3 said:
I have digital cable. I need to think about getting RFDTV, cause I could watch it all day or at least until Big Joe Polka Fest comes on ...lol. Even when they showcase a breed it still boring, all they show is the same cattle repeated. I forgot that I had seen the bucking bull episode...

Yep, the premise of the show is good. I really like the tractor stuff. I wish they would do more cattle shows and make them more interesting. I really think they could do a better job and attract a larger audience. I know they have a limited budget but most shows look like 60's stuff.

dun":ephaydxd said:
RainMan":ephaydxd said:
I've watched a number of the shows, and frankly I come away knowing nothing more than their breed is the best. Makes me wonder how all the real cattlemen finally decide on a specific breed? Sure, after reading a number of threads on this site, I understanding your trying to find the breed that best suits your area and needs, but I would think multiple breeds would ultimately work in any one area. Guess it's a matter of choice and what looks good in your fields? Sorry if this is over simplifying the actual process... :oops:

Since different breeds generally fit different marketing schemes and grids, you have to determine how you plan on marketing the animals. That has to be the first step. But you also have to like to look at what you have in your pasture. If you really like Herefords and hate Angus for whatever reason, you generally won;t do as well with the Angus. If you just like raising cattle the ones that are the trouble free moneymakers will be favored.
Nearly every breed has something to like and dislike about them. Some just better fit a specific managment and marketing scheme.

dun

Thanks for the reply Dun. Over the last few weeks I've watched the show highlighting a number of different breeds. It seems to me it would be tough to criticize any one breed, like is done on this site on a regular basis. You might get away with criticizing a specific animal, but each breed seems to have their pluses. CW

Not too familiar with the cattle show on RFD, or breed showcases, but the American Rancher isn't really the ranchers bragging up their breeds. Summitcrest focused on how the ranch came to be, where they started, where they expanded too, etc. And because of Fred Johnson, they talked of the origins of Certified Angus Beef. Sitz was similar and I believe it was the ranch whose founder was killed in a tractor roll over accident. A week after the funeral, the wife was left with a ton of cows calving in the middle of a blizzard in Montana. Since then, her kids have come home to help continue the ranch. It is more stories about the people behind the ranches than the breed. Usually, towards the end, they talk a little about the issues ahead and how they are positioning themselves to meet thoes challenges in the future.

dph:

I think you kinda missed the boat.

The point was that Angus cattle have been featured to date on the American Cattleman, for the most part. Just one guy that had some Red Angus and a few Herefords, along with his Angus, of course.

It get's pretty tiresome when we keep hearing about how damn great Angus are, blah, blah, blah. Don't need to crossbreed, get the carcass premiums, etc, etc, etc. Most of us know they are full of crap, and it gets tiresome hearing them repeating their blather.

mtnman

Ah ha, that's why I am a non-discriminating producer. I run a little bit of everything. That way I can get in all the discussions about what the best breed is. :lol:

I now hear what you are saying. But I don't believe I missed the boat. I wish there was a more comprehensive view of the cattle industry on RFD-TV. Or any view in general. What is tiresome is the "blather" they put on about the horses. Everytime I flip over to it, there is a horse show of some sort. Seems everyone and their brother knows the proper way to break horses and are telling you about it. :D

Whatever cattle a guy wants is fine by me, but I have a hard time believing that all guys that raise a certain breed have their head in the clouds. There are some people in the buisness out to sell a bag of goods and I agree mtnman, but there are a lot more who love their breed, for whatever reason, and are dedicated to the improvement of it. If there was a specific ranch that you feel otherwise about, fine, but I haven't seen it. (Which is more than likely) It would be very nice to see a more varied program, featuring other breeds. And, like CopeMan was saying, its hard to believe when the horse programming quits, and a show about cattle happens to be on, that it is on a ridiculous topic.

I don't mean to be a sob, just the remark at Angus, with "they" made me feel like it was a shot at people like Fred Johnson, whom, imho, is a man any breed would be lucky to have.

Latest posts