Angus. I don't get this...........

Help Support CattleToday:

Smokey Bull":3uyus1w4 said:
Well said - Jake.

Hereford got caught napping and Beef Master??? How do you not get marketing and shelf space out of a name like that? With Nolan Ryan as your spokesman to boot? Kudos to CAB for the retail market. Love 'em or hate 'em ya gotta respect what they have accomplished.
I would like to hear Mr Ryan take on this subject. I wonder what he would say?

Smokey Bull":2vjgknx0 said:
Well said - Jake.

Hereford got caught napping and Beef Master??? How do you not get marketing and shelf space out of a name like that? With Nolan Ryan as your spokesman to boot? Kudos to CAB for the retail market. Love 'em or hate 'em ya gotta respect what they have accomplished.
I have no respect for anyone who calls something one thing a sells something else. Just because the rest of the world has decided that lie is good marketing it does not mean I have to go for it. When you call one of your cows Angus do I have to go to a computer and check out what you really mean? Should I assume that because you think this is a good way to market that everything you say is a half truth? I have never bashed Angus or the beef CAB produces. It is just flat out not what the name says it is.

Jake":236tw6mb said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with CAB meat. They do the best job of promoting and marketing the beef product.

Quite honestly the only people that care whether or not it's Black, red, polka dotted or spotted are the cattle producers that whine because their association wasn't smart enough to capture the market first. The consumer ONLY cares about the finished product and CAB has provided a consistent, quality product. The consumers are happy with the product and that is quite simply all they care about.

The angus bashing on this site is absolutely ridiculous! If you have such a problem with a successful program put your money where your mouths are. Step up to the plate, start a branded beef program or partner with an existing one and COMPETE.
I'd never bash it..hel all my brangus qualify.

While I cannot speak for him, Mr. Ryan and I have visited on the subject a couple of times...His bloodlines are excellent and he receives excellent premiums on his animals. Beefmaster Breeders United (BBU) have a very good feedlot program going. They are getting good premiums from the buyers. BBU has a label, Nolan Ryans Tender Aged Beef and N.R.'s All Natural Beef has a niche in Texas..not sure of out of state, but they do move all they raise.

Personal opinion is that BBU seems content with their niche as well as trading bulls back and forth. I decided early that I liked the BM traits, but did not want to go the feedlot way so, I quit paying attention to BBU and have just gone with what I like. Seems to be working, I have sold all I produce...lucky to have a loyal client base.

Smokey Bull":2k3gj804 said:
While I cannot speak for him, Mr. Ryan and I have visited on the subject a couple of times...His bloodlines are excellent and he receives excellent premiums on his animals. Beefmaster Breeders United (BBU) have a very good feedlot program going. They are getting good premiums from the buyers. BBU has a label, Nolan Ryans Tender Aged Beef and N.R.'s All Natural Beef has a niche in Texas..not sure of out of state, but they do move all they raise.

Personal opinion is that BBU seems content with their niche as well as trading bulls back and forth. I decided early that I liked the BM traits, but did not want to go the feedlot way so, I quit paying attention to BBU and have just gone with what I like. Seems to be working, I have sold all I produce...lucky to have a loyal client base.
Don't you figure the Nolan Ryan name has as much to do with it as anything? Much like the Earl Campbell hot links and Jimmy Dean Sausage.

Notice the ® after the Certified Angus Beef. At no time does that registered trademark state that it is from an Angus. Yes it is a marketing ploy and one that has worked. Whose fault it is that the buyer is not informed? Here is a comparison that bothers me for reasons I am uncertain, Just One Bite® rat and mouse bait. Just One Bite® is just a brand name like Certified Angus Beef ® but it insinuates that it will kill on a single feeding. Read the fine print and the fine print states it "may" kill. In the same mindset as reading the "may" in the rat and mouse bait then Angus verified meat "may" be in Certified Angus Beef ®. The marketing group lets the customer come to the conclusion and most American shoppers are ill informed and readily jumps to conclusions. Beef producers should be aware that CAB is ALL marketing and that those producing black animals are at this time mutually benefiting along with their fellow Angus producers.

novatech":34vvhgx7 said:
I have no respect for anyone who calls something one thing a sells something else. Just because the rest of the world has decided that lie is good marketing it does not mean I have to go for it. When you call one of your cows Angus do I have to go to a computer and check out what you really mean? Should I assume that because you think this is a good way to market that everything you say is a half truth? I have never bashed Angus or the beef CAB produces. It is just flat out not what the name says it is.

I don't really care what you assume as it has little effect on my life. I do believe I did not take a stance as my personal feeling towards the rules of CAB but took a stance on the quality product. There are many, many examples of names of brands that are "deceptive." None the less your post does little to refute the truthful point in which i made that the CONSUMER doesn't care. We in the beef industry have a severe issue with thinking that the consumer thinks the same way we do. The fact is that if the eating the beef is a pleasurable experience they could care less about much else. The consumers who do care are going to pay premiums for other labels such as grass fed, organic, or other such things.

So like i said the amount of respect you have for the program or for me matters not at all. CAB is going to continue to be a force just the same as I am going to continue calling it as I see it.

®. The marketing group lets the customer come to the conclusion and most American shoppers are ill informed and readily jumps to conclusions.
Yea and that is why they have " class action law suits" in this country..................I can see the train a comin!

Smokey Bull":cszrf97w said:

Where are you located? Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":2x5opfwb said:
Smokey Bull":2x5opfwb said:

A little north of you in West Bell County...You?

TexasBred":2tbzarx0 said:
Smokey Bull":2tbzarx0 said:

Don't you figure the Nolan Ryan name has as much to do with it as anything? Much like the Earl Campbell hot links and Jimmy Dean Sausage.

In Texas, for sure! Probably not in other parts...unless they are baseball fans.

Jake":2dcaux79 said:
Quite honestly the only people that care whether or not it's Black, red, polka dotted or spotted are the cattle producers that whine because their association wasn't smart enough to capture the market first.

So you're saying that the folks that raise, sell and buy all those black bulls don't care what color they are? Interesting.

Smokey Bull":am5tuhap said:
Kingfisher":am5tuhap said:
Smokey Bull":am5tuhap said:

A little north of you in West Bell County...You?
I am in Austin.

Nolan Ryan has the bull by the horns so to say. He does not need black ones and he is the end user for the most part. Next thing he will be producing is an all beef hot dog! We would all do much better if we owned a few ball parks.................:)

Yup! He has it set up pretty good. For the record, Nolan is a hard working, honest, and friendly person. He is very involved in the breed and very passionate. He is very good about sharing his knowledge and is very approachable to visit with. I have the utmost respect for him. He has earned what he is doing.

Well, off to deliver treats and minerals to the "kiddos" and get some fence work done.

Kingfisher":36nb2wom said:
Where have you had the pleasure of meeting Mr Ryan?
Funny you should say that....I met his brother Robert several years ago when in San Antonio. We were visiting and I ask him if he would get me an autographed baseball. He looked at me and said "certainly, how do you want it signed....Robert or Bob"?? :lol: Eventually did get me one (Signed by Nolan) for a fundraiser for a little girl with medical needs.

Kingfisher":2z56xktt said:
Where have you had the pleasure of meeting Mr Ryan?

Sorry for the late response. Commuted to the ranch and had some water leaks to contend with as well a downed fence...dealing with water lines in 23deg weather..FUN!

Long story, but previous career was in youth sports. N.R. and I worked on some projects together (as well as his WONDERFUL wife Ruth!)...The as I was putting the family ranch back together I got interested in the BM's...not really cognizant that he was "huge" in the breed. ended up talking to him at a couple of events...Like I said, "Great Guy".

Oh! Interesting side story...I have 2 UNUSED Rangers tickets somewhere in my files. They were for the game where Nolan pitched his 7th no hitter...my sports business had a couple of issues to deal with that day and by the time I was done, too tired to bother going... "What a MAroon" as Bugs Bunny would say!

This thread title keeps coming to the top and reminds me of a picture I snapped recently:

IMG_2821_ANGUShotdogs.jpg

Now will someone please tell me that they can tell the difference between an Angus (black hide, 51% Angus, 49% about anything else) HOTDOG and say a Hereford HOTDOG????

Jim

Latest posts