Angus Bull for ya'll to critique

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":2enfome1 said:
Don't got much butt either but that's compared to a Limi.

Yep, I knew somebody would say that, that's one thing I wish I could "fix" on him. And thats somethin' I LOVE about my Limo's. They're pretty big back there. :)

Good looking young bull. Hope he works well for you, but I wonder about his tempermant to....A old cattleman that has forgot more than most of us will ever know told me this.... Look at the hair whorl on a bull or cow the higher up the head, the more mellow the animal is, that fella of yours is a might low. I am glad that you are in Oka, I bought a Express Limi bull and he just melted in front of my eyes.

houstoncutter":2e8cr7ot said:
Good looking young bull. Hope he works well for you, but I wonder about his tempermant to....A old cattleman that has forgot more than most of us will ever know told me this.... Look at the hair whorl on a bull or cow the higher up the head, the more mellow the animal is, that fella of yours is a might low. I am glad that you are in Oka, I bought a Express Limi bull and he just melted in front of my eyes.

I don't know about what the hair tells you or how high he holds his head(BTW it is VERY high)BUT, if you want an indicator on how much he likes people look at his feet in almost every picture he has a foot ready to bolt. He really likes to have a front foot off the ground a little all the time. He is always leaning into an escape step.

Draw your own conclusions.

alacattleman":3so35aon said:
could be the girl running him all over the lot taken pictures,,

Hey--rest assured alacattleman, I wasn't running him all over the place trying to get pictures of him! :) That's not the way to do it. I was on the other side of the fence with a zoom lens softly calling him so he would turn his head and moving gently around every once in a while to get his attention. :) He stayed in the same place most the time just walked around a bit.
Just remember guys, he does look jumpy in the pics but he's only been here a few days, and hasn't been around people alot from what he acts like and so he is real "alert" , timid, and will trot away if you move fast or somethin. :) Give him a few months and I think he'll get better. :nod:

I have seen steers act that way when they get to a new place and are separated from the other cattle, once they get with other cattle and or settle in the fight or flight instinct tends to diminish. If after a couple weeks he continues to act that way, I would really consider shipping him and not retaining any of his offspring.

If he acted that way before you purchased him and was also with other cattle I would also be concerned. We always avoid the high headed, tail up, turn and stare you down cattle, if they are acting like that when with other cattle. If they just tried to hide or crowed in with the others calves, but act up when they get to the house it was usually fear and nothing else. Have had some pretty docile calves try and blow snot in my pocket when they were scared and decided to fight instead of flight at that time.

Have you ever spent the day at the hospital having tests run? Or stayed with someone while they did? Believe me, it can make even a good natured person a bit testy. This bull was hauled to the sale facility, had an electroejaculator run up his behind, poked, prodded, measured, clipped, strangers coming in and out of his pen, which was full of strange bulls. Then he was run into a loud sale ring, lots of screaming yelling, loaded into a strange trailer, hauled, turned out in a strange corral by humans he's never seen before, probably all by himself. I woudn't blame him if he's a bit testy. If he doesn't work out, contact Express. They'd probably be willing to exchange him for another bull. We've never bought anything from them, but have heard their customer service is good. Have you got a bred cow you can put with him in the corral? A good tempered female can usually straighten out those youngsters. ;-)

houstoncutter":2dh5v0ca said:

I believe its the opposite, high hair whorl is usually associated with an excitable temperament while a low hair whorl indicates a docile animal.

I agree with Frankie, let the bull settle and judge his temperament when he is with other cattle, the most docile show animal will be alert after a sale especially if alone in an enclosed area.

If he still scares you then, especially considering he is just a yearling, its maybe time to reconsider how much good he'll do for your herd in the long run.

He looks like a pretty sound calving ease type (not having looked at his EPDs at all), if that was the intention he'll probably do the job for you. I prefer bulls to be thicker and wider from end to end with more depth and volume, but that is a very broad generalisation without taking specific needs into account. Having said that I still believe you can have thickness and muscle in a calving ease package.

Frankie":3a1vgmh6 said:
Have you ever spent the day at the hospital having tests run? Or stayed with someone while they did? Believe me, it can make even a good natured person a bit testy. This bull was hauled to the sale facility, had an electroejaculator run up his behind, poked, prodded, measured, clipped, strangers coming in and out of his pen, which was full of strange bulls. Then he was run into a loud sale ring, lots of screaming yelling, loaded into a strange trailer, hauled, turned out in a strange corral by humans he's never seen before, probably all by himself. I woudn't blame him if he's a bit testy. If he doesn't work out, contact Express. They'd probably be willing to exchange him for another bull. We've never bought anything from them, but have heard their customer service is good. Have you got a bred cow you can put with him in the corral? A good tempered female can usually straighten out those youngsters. ;-)

That's exactly what he's dealing with frankie. :) He's not acting aggressive or anything, just a bit skiddesh but he's already getting better then when he first got here. I'm not a bit worried about the fact that he is skiddesh right now, and wasn't expecting him to be calm as a angel when he first got here--he's got good reason to be a little frightened. I think he'll be just fine in a few weeks. Oh yeah, he's got my gentle Limo steer in the pasture with him and that's helping him alot. Course my lil' steer seems to think this bull is pretty cool! :)
Thanks for the insight VCC and Knersie.

alacattleman":3a1vgmh6 said:
ive brought very few bull's in that were not excited the first day or two

Yep, so I think mine will be just fine.

Did you buy him from the sale at Expess? If so how was it? Good averages? I could imagine they put on quite a show.

jfranseen":fud5btsi said:
Did you buy him from the sale at Expess? If so how was it? Good averages? I could imagine they put on quite a show.

Yep, he came from Express. The sale was good, they were going a bit higher then we wanted to spend so I didn't get one of the 3 that I really wanted, but oh well, I like the guy I got. :) They probablly averaged $3000-4000 each but several went for 5-8 and the first one went to $103,000. I was like WHOA, did I hear that right?! And yeah, they pump that sale up quite a bit, but they're always fun. :D

He appears to be a sound bull. As with many Raven calves he could do with more depth of muscle in the hind quarter. However for an angus bull he has more than adequate thickness at his age. He he also is quite stylish. He is better but follows the same pattern that the Raven calves we had this year have.
Do they feed steak at the The Express Bull Sales also. We wnt up one uear for the female sales and it was quite the party.

Knersie is right on the money. A hair whorl below the eyes is associated with calmer dispositions and a hair whorl above they eyes has shown to be more flighty and nervous especially when being handled.

I think this bull is just nervous in his new surroundings. There is nothing in any of the pictures that indicates anything to me other than a nervous animal in new surroundings. Look closely at the third picture and take note of his ears inrealation to where he is looking. Feet planted, left ffront slightly behind the right front and coordinated with his ear indicating something he isn't particularly comfortable with off to his left. He is watching the camera, yet nervous at what is to his left.

It is always a good idea to be very calm and quiet around cattle in a new surrounding and turning him in with a steer that is comfortable in his surroundings is a very good idea. I would guess you bought him as a heifer bull and in that respect I think you will like his calves out of limi heifers. Nice bull, not the greatest but I have seen many worse.

Thanks guys!
Avalon~they had BBQ'ed brisket at lunch, no steak but it was still good. :nod: And yep, it was quite the party
Thanks for your evaluation capt.
And cross 7, I'll let you know if that ever happens, but I have a feeling that it probablly wont!! :D

~LG

Looks good, the bw of 55, they should come out in a hurry. Are you using this for heifers and your herd cows? They should grow fast with that kind of yw and you should have some great looking limflex. After pulling the first calf out of a limflex heifer that weighed 90 lbs, broke both its back legs so we put it down.
Went and bought a -.5 bw epd, with a 70 lb bw, and my limo bull is going up for sale. I like the limflex cross and will look forward to next years calving, just can't figure how to speed up the process.

Good calving next year,
Rick

I think he's a very good looking young bull. Like all good Angus he will sire calves with more then enough round to bring top price from the packers.

Disposition is a big deal to me, it looks like he could get excited.

Latest posts