An Angus question.

Help Support CattleToday:

Finally, I am starting to learn something about breeding beef cattle. I think. It is hard to learn when people are so against a certain breed, breeder, or bull that they go off on a tangent spewing out worthless comments. I bred holsteins for 40 yearsand we had the same problem. But the good breeders did not completely disregard a bull if he had some quallities they did not like. For instance if a bull sired a will to milk in his daughters, but he also sired some questionable feet and legs they would use him on a proven cow who's daughters had very correct feet and legs to take advantage of his will to milk. If 1407 sires cattle that really jump on the feed lot, surely their is merit in finding a place to use him. There is no perfect bull out there. My 2 cents.

Capt, I can understand what you are saying as long as each generation is a little better than the last one that is what progress is.

I realize there isn't a perfect bull. I wouldn't use 1407 ever because of the reasons stated before, legs, pedigree and structure. I will accept differences in bulls but structure isn't one that i will negotiate, not many breeders pay enough attention to what i call proper structure. Lots of good cattle, but those DAMN back legs aren't what they need to be.

We've used a 1407 son that is not 'funnel butted' and his calves are the same way. Meatwagons. He is, however, an ai stud bull so that would rule him out for most on here but I don't have a problem using a bull that a stud offers semen on. Got to make the decision based on the bull, though, not the advertising.
Capt, if your bull is what you say he is what are your plans for him?

SEC, I agree wholeheartedly with your statements, especially about most breeders not paying enough attention to structure. This bulls mother is the most definitive reason the bull is in use.

Grumpy, I will attempt to answer your question without advertising. We plan on seeing what his calves turn out like, (quality, structure, growth, etc.). We got him used in a few small herds to give him a cross section of cattle and see what he does. If he passes those tests, he will be marketed for what he is. It is way too early to say whether he becomes a stud bull or not. His first calves are on the ground this spring. Like I said before, we are excited but are waiting to see. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks
capt

Ive been heavily impressed by 1407's performance...however its not anyone elses opinion that really matters. you need to ask yourself what you want these cattle to be good for...I assume that since your using devons they wont be show so dont worry about what any show jock in here is saying you wanna put steaks on the table and have some look plus marketability I say use em but once again totally your choice.

That could be Mtnman. Too bad most the stories are hearsay. I am sure if the walls could talk we would learn lots, many of it might be stuff that we wouldn't want to hear.

What freaky combination of genetics gave Dr. Spock his ears and the bulls that add white and take away milk.

Why would Sir Wms Warrant breed so poorly with a pedigree that reads like the who's who?

Latest posts