ABS Global's Hereford line-up

Help Support CattleToday:

It looks like Hereford is starting to benefit from the black cow herd both in the U.S. and globally......

http://cattletoday.com/archive/2009/July/CT2004.php

U.S. Hereford semen sales increased 8.4 percent in 2008, despite an overall drop in domestic semen sales for beef cattle. Sales of Hereford semen rose 39.3 percent in foreign countries, well above the overall increase of all breeds at 21.67 percent, according to the 2008 data from NAAB.

"Hereford semen sales have been extremely good," says ABS Global Beef Sire Acquisition Manager Lorna Marshall. "Our Hereford sales are up about 20% this year, and Hereford has been our fastest-growing breed the last three years."

"Marshall attributes much of this growing demand for Hereford semen to the cattleman's need for heterosis. "As we've seen the nation's cow herd become more straightbred, we've certainly heard from some our commercial customers that they've experienced reduced fertility, as we've moved away from a cow herd that has some heterosis in it to more of a straightbred cow."

I don't want to throw stones at individual bulls; but an Angus bull with a +100++ yearling weight EPD is getting to be an awfully growthy not real easy keeping phenotype. Cross his daughters to another Angus bull just like him and you probably ARE going to lose some fertility in the resulting daughters and it ain't all from the lack of heterosis either.

"ABS Global currently has 18 Hereford bulls to choose from in its bull battery. Marshall says that for the first time during her 13 year tenure with ABS, there are two Hereford bulls in the company's top 25 beef bulls for semen sales."

Does anybody know which two are the strongest sellers???

Progress??? and Harland??? maybe???

I too have only seen two pics of Rib Eye, would love to see more. The pic of him from front on in tall grass is pretty impressive.... but lets see some more.

Alan

Im guessing the bulls lorna is talking about would be Harland and Rib eye. Proficient could also be added to that list. We do have a new horned hereford bull that we will be offering this fall. The bulls name is domino, and in my opinion will be the best all around hereford bull we have.

Latest posts