ABS Global's Hereford line-up

Help Support CattleToday:

Ontime-Denver2008_sm.jpg

If this is the bull you're talking about he is a Legend 242 paternal grandson out of an Online 122l daughter.

Phenotypically he looks good, although he isn't extreme I wouldn't exactly call him middle of the road either. I can't find a framescore on him but he looks to be 6+

What immediately puts a questionmark on him is that on the website they claim him to have 100% eye pigment when he clearly doesn't have full pigment on his right eye. I can't help but wonder what else they fabricated?

KNERSIE":1ln31uqb said:
Ontime-Denver2008_sm.jpg

If this is the bull you're talking about he is a Legend 242 paternal grandson out of an Online 122l daughter.

Phenotypically he looks good, although he isn't extreme I wouldn't exactly call him middle of the road either. I can't find a framescore on him but he looks to be 6+

What immediately puts a questionmark on him is that on the website they claim him to have 100% eye pigment when he clearly doesn't have full pigment on his right eye. I can't help but wonder what else they fabricated?

I can;t see his eyes well enough to see if they're pigmented or not. From the dinky picture they appear to be, I don;t see any pink anyway.

Still can;t tell if the rear of the eye is pink or just doesn;t have red hair aorund it

Tried to crop the head with photobucket to enlarge the eye, but as soon as I post it here it reverts back to the original size? Can anyone else with more computer savvy zoom in on the eye please?

I have had 5 ontime calves - purebred and commercial. All have been 100% pigmented - patches of pigment not just eyeliner.
They are were pretty big square hipped calves with quite a bit of bone to them.

I only used him on cows and all were born unassisted but they were larger than I had expected from the BW epd but probably more like one would expect if they had ever seen his stout online momma.

I have a yearling photo if you would like it redfornow or dun - just pm me your email. I can't seem to get it to attach to post here.

I hate to always be the contrarian; but ABS has a better Hereford lineup than they had 3 to 5 years ago. They still aren't Genex; but they are making positive strides.

Thanks Paul, I think its plain to see its about 75% pigment and in my book it isn't 100% like they claim on his webpage.

KNERSIE":1vu1h5og said:
Thanks Paul, I think its plain to see its about 75% pigment and in my book it isn't 100% like they claim on his webpage.
Yup, doesn;t look like pigment to me either on the back 1/3 of the eye. Wonder what the other one looks like.

Other then 774 when they had him for a couple of months, the only Herefrod bull that they had that I liked was KCF Bennett 517 E153. Made some real power cows and steers that fattened on just grass.

I've been happy with my Progress calves and KCF Bennett 774 H119 calves (he was just dropped from the list this year).

I think ABS is chasing the numbers, primarily calving ease with strong marbling. I assume that is what people are asking for and they are providing it.

OLF":1e68bw4d said:
I've been happy with my Progress calves and KCF Bennett 774 H119 calves (he was just dropped from the list this year).

I think ABS is chasing the numbers, primarily calving ease with strong marbling. I assume that is what people are asking for and they are providing it.

We had a problem with the fertility of H119s daughters. Didn;t calf till almost 3 years old

What was the bw like on the h119 calves?
I bred him to a couple of cows and the weights were extreme 100 plus....

KNERSIE":2btewu1e said:
Would you mind giving your thoughts on Robin Hood?

I like his balance and overall phenotype, but he is too extreme in both size and milk. A +31 milk EPD equates to open cows in tougher conditions. I am not sure the breed needs more frame 8.26 bulls (62.5" mature hip height) His coat quality is also a bit suspect for hotter climates with higher external parasite pressure.

Thanks. I liked the look of him, didnt realise he was so big. Pity about that - I'd like to bring him down a frame and a half and then I'd like him! :D

redfornow":2qj9z96y said:

Averaged 87 pounds

redfornow":28i05zyx said:
dun":28i05zyx said:
redfornow":28i05zyx said:

Averaged 87 pounds

What is average for ur herd?

For the straight bred RA 73 for the cross breds 82

Those are kind of out of wack because of a lot of heifers bred to a low BW RA calving ease bull

herefordchick":3ezhoku1 said:
For the heck of it I pulled up the ABS page after reading your post - clicked to see what they are selling for Herefords in the countries beyond the USA.

link to the Brasil section - interesting to me that they have more info on the US bulls on a Brasil site than the US one

http://www.absnet.com.br/?modulos/abs_p ... tegoria:41

thought some of you interested in Progress/Ribeye/Proficient would like to see the photos not on the US site

BTW Knersie - thought you'd be happy to see there is still some Jedi semen for sale!

I have been frequenting and hovering at this site for quite a while. After looking at this post I couldn't resist but to register.

You are very correct about the additional pictures. I only know english so I don't savvy what it says but I sure like the picture of the first reference picture under ribeye. I like the lady that took that photo a lot better(my wife), and the guy that got the ears on that one can sure get ones attention (pat on back).
As far as the bulls in the ABS line up...Harland can sure make some huge improvements for a lot of Hereford cattle's numbers across the board. 3027 is the most under-rated bulls in the breed, I like him enough that I am contemplating flushing him multiple ways this fall. He improves numbers, doesn't hurt phenotype, improves udders, and is good pigmented.

barstarcattle":1260vpkh said:
herefordchick":1260vpkh said:
For the heck of it I pulled up the ABS page after reading your post - clicked to see what they are selling for Herefords in the countries beyond the USA.

link to the Brasil section - interesting to me that they have more info on the US bulls on a Brasil site than the US one

http://www.absnet.com.br/?modulos/abs_p ... tegoria:41

thought some of you interested in Progress/Ribeye/Proficient would like to see the photos not on the US site

BTW Knersie - thought you'd be happy to see there is still some Jedi semen for sale!

I have been frequenting and hovering at this site for quite a while. After looking at this post I couldn't resist but to register.

You are very correct about the additional pictures. I only know english so I don't savvy what it says but I sure like the picture of the first reference picture under ribeye. I like the lady that took that photo a lot better(my wife), and the guy that got the ears on that one can sure get ones attention (pat on back).
As far as the bulls in the ABS line up...Harland can sure make some huge improvements for a lot of Hereford cattle's numbers across the board. 3027 is the most under-rated bulls in the breed, I like him enough that I am contemplating flushing him multiple ways this fall. He improves numbers, doesn't hurt phenotype, improves udders, and is good pigmented.

Do you have any other photos of Rib Eye? I'm especially interested in a photo from behind.

He is a bull that I've been watching for a while, I like what I read about him and his EPD spread, but visually there was always enough that bothered me not to get serious about him.

Latest posts