ABS Sexcel sexed semen ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Has anyone used sexed semen from ABS or know anything about it ? I would hate to lose to much conception %.

I have not used it but this is what I have heard about it and confirmed it with my ABS rep. It will lower your conception rate (generally around 10%) but will vary based on several factors. life of semen after insemination is lower by a few hours so timing is more critical. Sexed semen is about 90% accurate so no guarantee you end up with sex you planned. My thought is that using regular semen and breeding the cow to the same bull twice will give me the same result with less risk.

I just read on ABS website that it works better in heifers caught in natural estrus vs synced breeding.

I heard sexed Embroyos have a lower rate of " taking " ? I wouldn't understand how if the egg is fertilized?

I was talking to my ABS rep yesterday and he said conception rate was good but he put it in about 30 hours after standing. Seemed past time to me but it's his job.
I could see 30 hours from the start of standing if you watch your herd like a hawk, but 30 hours after standing heat ends also seems late to me. I usually start looking for bloody discharge after 24 hours post breeding. but like you said, it's his job so if it works, why change.

I could see 30 hours from the start of standing if you watch your herd like a hawk, but 30 hours after standing heat ends also seems late to me. I usually start looking for bloody discharge after 24 hours post breeding. but like you said, it's his job so if it works, why change.
He says that's with sexed semen he started breeding later with better results.

Every time you use "manipulation" procedures, you lower conception.
Sync programs lower conception - therefore natural heats are best.
Using sexed semen lowers conception. They have to manipulate the semen to separate the sexes - and there are a lot LESS live viable semen in each straw than conventional.
Some companies offer higher or lower % of sexed semen. Like "expect 80% heifers" or "expect 90% heifers" - priced accordingly.
My thought is that using regular semen and breeding the cow to the same bull twice will give me the same result with less risk.
I don't understand this statement. Breeding twice to same bull will always increase your conception - conventional or sexed - so not sure what you are saying?

Every time you use "manipulation" procedures, you lower conception.
Sync programs lower conception - therefore natural heats are best.
Using sexed semen lowers conception. They have to manipulate the semen to separate the sexes - and there are a lot LESS live viable semen in each straw than conventional.
Some companies offer higher or lower % of sexed semen. Like "expect 80% heifers" or "expect 90% heifers" - priced accordingly.

I don't understand this statement. Breeding twice to same bull will always increase your conception - conventional or sexed - so not sure what you are saying?
meaning that if she is a good cow, breed her to the same bull two years in a row. 50/50 chance of a heifer or bull which ever you prefer. I was not thinking of embryo harvesting since I have never done that either.

Latest posts