Angus Bulls ABS or Universal

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I need some help deciding on some nice bulls from either supplier. I have a really nice bull calf out of LD 316, but I don't want to only have that bloodline flowing through the herd. Used Mill Bar Hickok and had a super nice built bull, but crazy as heck. I attribute that to the cow, so I'd consider him again.

That being said...Who do you like? Who do you dislike?

What are your goals? Selling feeder calves? Seedstock? Finishing? Maternal?

The advice I would give is based on retaining ownership and selling finished animals. But that might not be your goals.

As such, I'd encourage looking hard at high accuracy bulls in the areas you value. I'd suggest looking up videos of bulls to see if they align with your goals structurally.

The best ABS sire I've used is Hoover Dam. I have a bunch of Hickok calves nearing weaning. For reasons unclear to me I don't like them as much as HD offspring. I've had a few Absolute calves that are just cattle. The females have made decent cows, but moderate framed. Power tool makes ok cows, but a bit larger framed (tall).

For next year due to a bunch of reasons I've got Cowboy Up, Enhance, and HD calves expected.

Bestoutwest

Stickney94 Nailed it, having no idea what your cows are or what your goals are it is impossible to armchair quarterback breeding decisions for you. Looking at Universal you have a ton of proven bulls to select from. I have no issue reaching back and using an older bull if he will do I need done. Boyd New Day did us a lot of good and I still use him occasionally. Are you retaining heifers or are all the calves marketed as feeders?

Gizmom

Stickney94 said:
What are your goals? Selling feeder calves? Seedstock? Finishing? Maternal?

Retaining heifers, and freezer beef for the steers (we're small, it's more lucrative to sell freezer beef). I look at all EPD's and choose ones that have "higher accuracy" and who have a lot of recorded calves. The first year we AI'd it was to Quaker Hill Rampage who had low accuracies and that did not work out well for us. Lesson learned. Calving ease, Docility and $B are the tops we breed for, but we're trying to improve our $EN as well (which I've noticed has a direct negative correlation to a high $B).

I have a Universal rep and ABS rep in the area, and both will stick the cows for me.

Universal Bulls
Hoover Dam (I'd love to have some calves out of him)
KCF Bennett Absolute
Bubs Southern Charm

ABS Bulls
Resistol 3710B
Sydgen Enhance (I think he's moving to my first choice for ABS)
Thomas Up River 1614

Bestoutwest said:
Retaining heifers, and freezer beef for the steers (we're small, it's more lucrative to sell freezer beef).

Universal Bulls
Hoover Dam (I'd love to have some calves out of him)
KCF Bennett Absolute
Bubs Southern Charm

ABS Bulls
Resistol 3710B
Sydgen Enhance (I think he's moving to my first choice for ABS)
Thomas Up River 1614

That is a fine list and it appears to match your goals. Southern Charm is on our short list for next year. I have a couple cows bred to Enhance. I do know that Enhance has his promoters and his detractors. I believe his progeny have been selling very well this fall. I also know that more than a few don't like his structure.

As mentioned, I love HD. The cows I have are great. The steers are consistent both in phenotype and on the rail. Absolute has resulted in smaller framed animals for my program.

I will have to look at Resistol and Up River, not as familiar with them.
Good luck!