4-H Steer; Which One?????

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds":f0qvlg9o said:
So funny this morning.
We got to the barn and found that the door to the back pen had blown open so there was 237 and my milk cows calf both with her eating away at the feed bunk.

our corgis went wild they get to herd something. Got every body straightened out and put Tick out with them in the back pen.

Well my daughter looked at me and said that Tick would make a good 4-H steer too. She is now not 100% sure if she wants to show 237 or Tick.
Just going to see if we can get a tag for Tick

Smart girl, keeping options open. :)
I hope you can get a tag for Tick!!

I would let daughter pick but might ask her why she picks that one. Then point out good and bad in each of them and explain it 2 her. That way she can pick herself and not say I told you mom. :D

goddy":ba48rqx2 said:
A friend of mine in the sheep industry got so sick of the high priced bought in lambs winning everything that he and a friend put up money for a special class for lambs bred by the exhibitor. The irony was that the daughter of one of the biggest high priced lamb sellers
had a couple of sheep in her name so she qualified and won!
Good luck with getting plenty of bidders - thats a good way to win.

Our fair has a 'bred & owned' class in the beef show, one for steers & one for each breed of breeding stock. Our grandson was excited when his steer won the bred & owned against blacks & shorthorns. Then he was really excited when his steers mother got champion & champion bred & owned Hereford. And he was doubly excited when his cow beat a heifer belonging to a boy who's dad usually buys really good breeding stock(very high $).
The bred & owned classes are the best, these kids have a lot of pride in their animals.

Just a quick update.
She is working with 237 now #60.
So funny this morning she was down at the barn and brought out the curry comb and boy was that steer loving it!
Had to show her to comb the hair forward and to put more pressure.
then she went to work on Tick.

Hubby has to build her a box to store everything in with a good lock on it! We had a brand new extension cord and a bottle of whitening soap walk off this last year.
With buying her some really nice grooming supplies and stuff want to make sure it stays! in her possesion.

I bought a Stanley rolling tool box for our kids. For us, the cost was almost the same as building one, plus it is weather proof. Now that our children no longer show livestock, it is now being used as intended. A tool box. It is about 7 years old now. It is lockable, plus you can lock the handle around a something solid with a chain to keep it from being stolen.

http://tinyurl.com/big-stanly-toolbox

Our daughter bought a smaller size to keep her horse stuff at her trainers. http://tinyurl.com/med-stanly-toolbox

The wheels are so handy, plus the tool boxes survive the weather well. I see more of toolboxes being used at the fair every year.

Will have to get her that one chippie. Thanks for the suggestion!

My only concern is her steer does not mind you being on his right side but is a bit touchy about his left. Been working on that.

Took some pics today

212013010_zpsa6588793.jpg

212013011_zps6ae1ba4e.jpg

212013014_zpsa2b96a80.jpg

212013016_zps53a6b06c.jpg

212013017_zps4f3a8d90.jpg

212013019_zpsf9917bdc.jpg

212013020_zps7c215aa9.jpg

212013021_zpsdf36e185.jpg

212013025_zps49a29a16.jpg

Tick
212013023_zps617a39f7.jpg

Looking good!

This is just my opinion. If it were me, I would separate the steer from the other cattle. Do you have a place indoors when it can be kept tied? Learning to stay tied for long periods needs to be done now while it is still young and small. It would be safer and easier for her to work it in an area without other cattle.
Plus she will have a more accurate record of the amount of hay and grain fed for her record book (if she is keeping one).

Don't know if you have a blower or not but rinsing them 2 to 3 times a week sure helps them get used to being handled, between the blower and the scrubbing and combing. We start them on the show stick early too, once they find out they like being scratched with it, you can halter them by just scratching the brisket, they just stand there for you.

I see that there is snow on the ground, so it may be hard to rinse every day, I would at least wash once a week and then blow them out and brush them every day until it warms up some.

Yep those pink things on her feet are her boots. :roll: Pink Crazy Girl. Go figure!

Chippie got some pens inside. Will see ifd we can get him in there and tied this weekend. Would rather do it while we are there to keep a close eye on him.

VCC just a bit too cold to wash him right now but he sure loves his curry comb. Will have to find her show stick and get them started.

Latest posts