2nd attempt at bread

Help Support CattleToday:

If you haven't already tried sprinkling some celery seed and some course ground salt on it you should. Of course after you lather it with cow butter

Looks like the old country Italian bread my Aunts used to make.

Try cutting a slice of it while it's still hot, and drizzling it with some EVOO and a few drops of red wine vinegar.

I'm a complete and total failure when it comes to making bread and rolls from scratch. I've made enough "brick bread" in my life that I could've built a cabin with it, sprayed it down with verathane, and it would last a lifetime. Thank God for Rhoades frozen dough.

Kathie in Thorp":3fyit7ni said:
I'm a complete and total failure when it comes to making bread and rolls from scratch. I've made enough "brick bread" in my life that I could've built a cabin with it, sprayed it down with verathane, and it would last a lifetime. Thank God for Rhoades frozen dough.

I bought some proof and bake rolls from "Mom's Pantry" to use in a pinch. They are delicious and just like you bought them fresh from a bakery after you bake them. Totally bomb proof.

talltimber":1heuzaps said:
Would you care to share your recipe? That bread looks very good. My step-mom makes bread occasionally. (that means not often enough to suit me :lol2: )

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/basic-homemade-bread
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).

However I added about 12 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of vanilla flavoring to it on my own.

(nesikep) My mother is a pro at it.. we also mill our own flour.

A recipe I remember is 3 ladles of our flour, 2 ladles of store bought 'whole wheat' flour, 1 ladle of white flour, about a heaped teaspoon of "Fermipan" dry yeast, and salt. mix well, let rise for a couple hours, bake. Made a really good bread.

If we didn't have our own flour I swear I'd starve. Even if we buy whole wheat bread from the local bakery it doesn't have the nutritional value to keep me fed while working hard until lunch

I am not a baker, but I suspect you have left out a key ingredient in that recipe--maybe more..
seems like it would be awful dry if made like that..

greybeard":2prvq9l0 said:
(nesikep) My mother is a pro at it.. we also mill our own flour.

A recipe I remember is 3 ladles of our flour, 2 ladles of store bought 'whole wheat' flour, 1 ladle of white flour, about a heaped teaspoon of "Fermipan" dry yeast, and salt. mix well, let rise for a couple hours, bake. Made a really good bread.

If we didn't have our own flour I swear I'd starve. Even if we buy whole wheat bread from the local bakery it doesn't have the nutritional value to keep me fed while working hard until lunch

I am not a baker, but I suspect you have left out a key ingredient in that recipe--maybe more..
seems like it would be awful dry if made like that..

Sugar and water. ;-)

skyhightree1":2pqjrz2p said:
talltimber":2pqjrz2p said:
Would you care to share your recipe? That bread looks very good. My step-mom makes bread occasionally. (that means not often enough to suit me :lol2: )

3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
Directions
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).

However I added about 12 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of vanilla flavoring to it on my own.

Thank you. That sounds really good.

talltimber":j5bmc32a said:
skyhightree1":j5bmc32a said:
talltimber":j5bmc32a said:

3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
Directions

Thank you. That sounds really good.

You are welcome. I hope it works better for you than me.

Here is my favorite roll recipe. From Hubby's Grandmother's recipes.

2c scalded milk, add 2T sugar, 2t salt and 2T shortening; I use the butter flavored Crisco.
In a measuring cup put in 1/2c warm water, 1t sugar and 1 pkg of yeast and let dissolve.
Once scalded milk has cooled to room temp put in a large mixing bowl add the yeast mixture to it and stir.
In a large mixing bowl start adding flour. It depends upon your flour how much you add. I use an all purpose.
Will take anywhere from 3cups to 5 cups of flour. Keep mixing until you get to a slightly sticky dough. It will pull away but still have a sticky feel.
Cover and let rise until double in size. Punch down.
Now how he remembers his Grandmother doing it was she would take a piece of dough about the size of a golf ball and flatten it out and spread a little butter in the center and fold up the edges and put it in a greased pan and let rise again.
Then bake it in a 375 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes til golden brown.

I double the sugar in the milk mixture and make cinnamon rolls with this dough.

Latest posts