Bread Fail

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Well kids start back to school tomorrow and its too hot to do anything outside so since my kids eat bread like I drink milk I decided to try to make some bread. Well this is the recipe I used. I would really like a good one from yall real chefs.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/basic-homemade-bread
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).

However I added about 12 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of vanilla flavoring to it on my own.

Well I used some yeast that's been in the cabinet maybe 3 months and the dough did not rise. I said what the heck so I cooked it anyway. It was super dense and halfway cooked after an hour and the crust was hard as heck. The middle had a good flavor though.
Here is a pic of this horrible bread I made :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I will stick to smoking meats and making BBQ

ResizedImage_1409602977295_zps1e6a2495.jpg

ResizedImage_1409602976907_zpse01af9d7.jpg

ResizedImage_1409602976019_zpsf0ad861e.jpg

Can't help you there , I am a one hit wonder when it comes to bread and buns. One time it will turn out great the next time flop and be inedible .

I personally think the air pressure is relative to how a loaf will rise or not , so did my grandma . She just was creative enough and a master baker that she could adjust her recipe accordingly so it never flops . That will always be out of my reach to accomplish . :dunce:

Your bread looks OK Sky , maybe a little heavy , but it might make some really good bread or rice pudding. :tiphat:

HD thanks you have a great imagination bread pudding yummy I may try that lol Here is a pic of what it looked like on the inside

IMG_20140901_155821_840_zpsf2f54d7b.jpg

Old yeast or you killed it. The extra sugar should have made it flow out the bowl in no time.... Water temp when you add the yeast is important as well as the temp during proofing. My wife has a recipe for Amish white bread that she has good luck with. Not so great for sandwiches but makes great French toast and cinnamon bread. Will see if I can get it from her

ga.prime":xh3po5ra said:
That's like Ellie Mae Clampett bread.

:lol2:

1982vett":xh3po5ra said:
Old yeast or you killed it. The extra sugar should have made it flow out the bowl in no time.... Water temp when you add the yeast is important as well as the temp during proofing. My wife has a recipe for Amish white bread that she has good luck with. Not so great for sandwiches but makes great French toast and cinnamon bread. Will see if I can get it from her

lol I got water hot to point it would boil soon then dumped the yeast in it maybe it was too hot. I guess I should have used the thermometer.

1982vett":24dc4lxi said:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amish-white-bread/. Wife says this is the recipe she uses.

Thanks 1982 I will try it wife says she wants a bread maker and has for some time her birthday is in 6 days lol should I ?

4 cups of bisquick, keep adding beer, and stirring till it gets to the consistency you want. Put a little sugar in it of course. Then bake. It's too simple to screw up.

skyhightree1":211wi5tf said:
1982vett":211wi5tf said:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amish-white-bread/. Wife says this is the recipe she uses.

Thanks 1982 I will try it wife says she wants a bread maker and has for some time her birthday is in 6 days lol should I ?

I have a bread maker, got when we got married over 13 years ago. We still make bread in it weekly, LOVE IT! You can make just dough too and rise it yourself to make yummy bread. There are lots of recipes out there on the Internet for bread machines.

Here is a really good, easy recipe that never fails! Just three ingredients:

3 cups SELF RISING flour
6 tablespoons sugar (you can reduce this, but this is the recipe we use and LOVE)
1 beer (we use Corona around here, but any beer will work).

Mix well, pour in a buttered (sprayed if you like it that way) bread pan. Cook at 350 for about an hour. We also like to take a few slabs of butter and put it on the top, makes a nice crispy top! Yummy and easy.... My kids have won tons of first place awards in 4-H baking this bread. Of course, we call it "yeast bread" and not beer bread... :lol:

Bigfoot":3fqg3ikj said:
4 cups of bisquick, keep adding beer, and stirring till it gets to the consistency you want. Put a little sugar in it of course. Then bake. It's too simple to screw up.

Thanks yea I don't even think I could mess that up lol

Fire Sweep Ranch":3fqg3ikj said:
skyhightree1":3fqg3ikj said:
1982vett":3fqg3ikj said:

I have a bread maker, got when we got married over 13 years ago. We still make bread in it weekly, LOVE IT! You can make just dough too and rise it yourself to make yummy bread. There are lots of recipes out there on the Internet for bread machines.

Here is a really good, easy recipe that never fails! Just three ingredients:

3 cups SELF RISING flour
6 tablespoons sugar (you can reduce this, but this is the recipe we use and LOVE)
1 beer (we use Corona around here, but any beer will work).

Mix well, pour in a buttered (sprayed if you like it that way) bread pan. Cook at 350 for about an hour. We also like to take a few slabs of butter and put it on the top, makes a nice crispy top! Yummy and easy.... My kids have won tons of first place awards in 4-H baking this bread. Of course, we call it "yeast bread" and not beer bread... :lol:

Thanks FSR that is great to know I will get one for her not her birthday probably for Christmas or something. That does sound good.

skyhightree1":pzl59iin said:
Well kids start back to school tomorrow and its too hot to do anything outside so since my kids eat bread like I drink milk I decided to try to make some bread. Well this is the recipe I used. I would really like a good one from yall real chefs.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/basic-homemade-bread
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).

However I added about 12 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of vanilla flavoring to it on my own.

Well I used some yeast that's been in the cabinet maybe 3 months and the dough did not rise. I said what the heck so I cooked it anyway. It was super dense and halfway cooked after an hour and the crust was hard as heck. The middle had a good flavor though.
Here is a pic of this horrible bread I made :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I will stick to smoking meats and making BBQ

ResizedImage_1409602977295_zps1e6a2495.jpg

ResizedImage_1409602976907_zpse01af9d7.jpg

ResizedImage_1409602976019_zpsf0ad861e.jpg

Should be way easier than that recipe. This is what I did yesterday, since the freezer was out of store-bought bread:
1 lb plain flour, pinch salt, one sachet dried yeast. Used dough hook in food processor, added warm water while it was mixing till it formed a dough, let the mixer beat it up for half a minute, sit for twenty, beat it up again and press into 1lb loaf tin, let it rise for twenty minutes again then bake moderate oven, might have been thirty - forty minutes.
Texture is fine which I put down to beginner's luck since it's been a while. Completely tasteless... it was organic flour, guess if I want taste should use wholewheat or add sugar?
Now I've made some bad loaves before but never had one that looked like yours when cut - that looks like it hasn't been cooked yet.
Dried yeast should be kept in fridge. Mine is way out of date, but it's still good. One sachet does about 2lb flour.

Thanks Regolith... I kept it in the cabinets I didnt know it needed to be in the fridge. Next time I will stick a whole ounce in the bread dough and see what happens lol

Latest posts