Homemade bread

Help Support CattleToday:

Anyone tried this stuff?
rice water wash, "farmhouse" cheese, homemade probiotics, lactic acid bacteria serum (LABS)
I have watched youtube videos. I'm not brave enough to try it yet.

Anyone tried this stuff?
rice water wash, "farmhouse" cheese, homemade probiotics, lactic acid bacteria serum (LABS)
I have watched youtube videos. I'm not brave enough to try it yet.
I'm not sure what you are asking. Is that ingredients for one finished item or several different finished items?

I don't bake bread from scratch but have made kolaches from scratch. Takes several rising/punch down/kneading sequences to make them over a course of 48 hrs. 72 hrs by some recipes.

(I usually just use Rhodes pre-formed frozen bread dough loaves if I make 'home baked' bread. ) Lots easier and close enough to home made (that's different from 'homemade') bread for me.)

I'm not sure what you are asking. Is that ingredients for one finished item or several different finished items?
It's not related to bread or baking and I probably should not have posted in this thread.

I put out hay this morning at 5:00, then had to fix a couple a water trough, I had other things to do but it got hot fast this morning, so I baked us some homemade bread, it's not as good as mamas use to be, but it's better than store bought.
Love homemade bread!
The Mrs. Makes the best I have ever tasted!
Any special event or church function they are begging her to make bread and yeast rolls.
I will come in and will look like a flour mill explosion in my kitchen.
I call her rolls More!
The girl will set out melted butter with her bread and rolls, make you hurt yourself getting to one.

When I was a
Love homemade bread!
Any special event or church function they are begging her to make bread and yeast rolls.
I call her rolls More!
The girl will set out melted butter with her bread and rolls, make you hurt yourself getting to one.
When I was a kid, my mother, grandmother and everyone of my aunts made homemade bread from scratch, not too many do it anymore, my wife buys the ready made dough and bakes it but it's not nearly as good.

Will she share her recipe?
Love homemade bread!
I call her rolls More!
The girl will set out melted butter with her bread and rolls, make you hurt yourself getting to one

Grew up with a Czech/ Bohemian grandmother, home made bread, kolaches, Dewberry kobbler was part of every day life.

If I cant make it to Green's there are actually some fozen doughs that get real close. They have exact directions on them for how to thaw and let rise.

Last edited:
Some years ago a neighbor gave my mother a starter for sour dough bread. She made it quite a bit for a while,
Pretty good stuff.
When I was a child my grandmother made a bread called salt rising bread. I never did like the smell of it and pretty sure I probably tried it for a one and done deal, and I was a child that eat about anything.
In later years she bought salt rising or salt risin bread as she called it at the grocery. Didn't like the smell of it either.

Don't know if this was just my grandmother... but she said that the bread recipe made 2 loaves because you would finish one loaf at night with supper (dinner)... and the 2nd loaf would be for the morning for sandwiches and whatever you were having for breakfast and then she would go to making another recipe to rise and all and do it all over again...

Don't know if this was just my grandmother... but she said that the bread recipe made 2 loaves because you would finish one loaf at night with supper (dinner)... and the 2nd loaf would be for the morning for sandwiches and whatever you were having for breakfast and then she would go to making another recipe to rise and all and do it all over again...
Not just your grandmother. This was the norm at one time. Nowdays.....ask a millennial or gen z about baking bread. Their first question about the bread: "Is it vegan?"

Whatever you do, don't put butter on it, unless its plant butter.

Not just your grandmother. This was the norm at one time. Nowdays.....ask a millennial or gen z about baking bread. Their first question about the bread: "Is it vegan?"

Whatever you do, don't put butter on it, unless its plant butter.
Plant butter???? YUCK..... :sick::sick::sick: if it ain't REAL BUTTER, I won't use it... I always look at what is offered as "butter" when I get it... like at the catered lunch at the VDOT state competition that my son was in for the "Roadeo".... competition in the different equipment events...anyway... if it is not REAL BUTTER... and NOT a blend... I will refuse it and when people ask why I tell them that I work in the dairy industry, and I support farmers with real TRUE dairy products.. not fake imitation stuff.....
I have one recipe for some Christmas cookies I make and they are made with margarine... they just do not taste or cook right with butter... it is a family joke that I use "glorified Penzoil" to make those cookies.... it has to do with the consistency and melting point of the margarine I guess.. and I do not apologize for using it to make them... But NOT going to spread it on my bread or use it on my vegetables or in my mashed potatoes or anything else like that...

Plant butter???? YUCK..... :sick::sick::sick: if it ain't REAL BUTTER, I won't use it... I always look at what is offered as "butter" when I get it... like at the catered lunch at the VDOT state competition that my son was in for the "Roadeo".... competition in the different equipment events...anyway... if it is not REAL BUTTER... and NOT a blend... I will refuse it and when people ask why I tell them that I work in the dairy industry, and I support farmers with real TRUE dairy products.. not fake imitation stuff.....
I have one recipe for some Christmas cookies I make and they are made with margarine... they just do not taste or cook right with butter... it is a family joke that I use "glorified Penzoil" to make those cookies.... it has to do with the consistency and melting point of the margarine I guess.. and I do not apologize for using it to make them... But NOT going to spread it on my bread or use it on my vegetables or in my mashed potatoes or anything else like that...
Kinda my point about plant butter. It sounds terrible. 10 -20 years ago it would have been. Now......well, my daughter's are vegan so we have plant butter here. I've been known to use it if we are out of the real thing. There are a lot worse imitations out there. Personally, I don't like imposters. Oat, Soy and Almond milk.........ok, those aren't good. Milk by definition comes from an animal. I know, so does butter.

Latest posts