Homemade bread

Help Support CattleToday:

Kinda my point about plant butter. It sounds terrible. 10 -20 years ago it would have been. Now......well, my daughter's are vegan so we have plant butter here. I've been known to use it if we are out of the real thing. There are a lot worse imitations out there. Personally, I don't like imposters. Oat, Soy and Almond milk.........ok, those aren't good. Milk by definition comes from an animal. I know, so does butter.
Ya ever tried putting that stuff outside and leaving it? Rumour has it no bird, mammal, insect or living thing will touch the stuff.

All the complicated kneading, timing and punching down. Thats why Italian women are so boxum.

I put regular bread recipe ingredients in my breadmaker set on the dough cycle. It does not bake. Then dump it out and finish baking in the regular oven.

Bread machine recipe bread has a kind of gritty texture like nasty gluten free bread

After seeing this video I'm cutting vegetable oil out of my diet completely, its toxic. I'm glad I watched it as it also provides a ray of hope for the future of traditional farming.

After seeing this video I'm cutting vegetable oil out of my diet completely, its toxic. I'm glad I watched it as it also provides a ray of hope for the future of traditional farming.

Thank you for this video. I have said for years that margarine was nothing more than "glorified Penzoil" and was laughed at... yet it is being shown more and more that REAL butter is better for you.... I by far am no where near perfect in my eating habits... but I do try to watch things more closely and eat more "real food" when I can. It takes time and effort and often, sadly, is more expensive than eating "fast" and easy food...

Thank you for this video. I have said for years that margarine was nothing more than "glorified Penzoil" and was laughed at... yet it is being shown more and more that REAL butter is better for you.... I by far am no where near perfect in my eating habits... but I do try to watch things more closely and eat more "real food" when I can. It takes time and effort and often, sadly, is more expensive than eating "fast" and easy food...
But good health is cheaper in the long run! The lack of animal fats or at least healthy fats is a disaster for peoples health I think and vegetable oils are not a good replacement, sure for some people no problems arise but are people bodies at their optimum or just bumling along? The problem comes with things like mayonniase and things like that I just looked at the jar in my fridge and its bascially 90% rapeseed oil, so I have no idea how to overcome that.

'Good' and 'bad' are opinion and personal and societal judgements assigned by people. 'Fat' is neither good nor bad in of itself. fat is required by the body at a certain level. An excess of fat in the diet can cause problems. A deficiency in the amount of fat in the diet can cause problems. A bowl of ice cream for someone who is 5' and 250 lbs. could be considered 'bad'. The same thing for a 6' 100 lb cancer patient could be considered 'good'. I'm not arguing either way. Just 'food' for thought. 😁

'Good' and 'bad' are opinion and personal and societal judgements assigned by people. 'Fat' is neither good nor bad in of itself. fat is required by the body at a certain level. An excess of fat in the diet can cause problems. A deficiency in the amount of fat in the diet can cause problems. A bowl of ice cream for someone who is 5' and 250 lbs. could be considered 'bad'. The same thing for a 6' 100 lb cancer patient could be considered 'good'. I'm not arguing either way. Just 'food' for thought. 😁
I see what you did there and sure everything in moderation and in balance right, but I'll trust food that exists in nature that our bodies have adapted over millions of years to eat rather than something not available in nature made in a factory. What surprises me is that saturated fat has been demonised for the last few decades and polyunsaturated fats have been heralded as good by the food and medical industries when its now looking like the inverse could be true. Perhaps focusing on fat is the wrong approach when focusing in on processed food over unprocessed food might be more appropriate. All I know is that I am waiting for that time when I can feast on nice big pasture raised pork chop again with juicy fat and crackling (sorry beef) as our ancestors did before us.

The video makes it clear that animal fat is healthier than the vegetable fat, all things being equal. I'd have to see more. The real problem to evaluate this is that all things aren't created equal. We have added vegetable oils to our diet, that is clear. Have we decreased the amount of animal fat in our diet, or has that increased too, or stayed the same? I'm not doubting the results. I want to see more.

I see what you did there and sure everything in moderation and in balance right, but I'll trust food that exists in nature that our bodies have adapted over millions of years to eat rather than something not available in nature made in a factory. What surprises me is that saturated fat has been demonised for the last few decades and polyunsaturated fats have been heralded as good by the food and medical industries when its now looking like the inverse could be true. Perhaps focusing on fat is the wrong approach when focusing in on processed food over unprocessed food might be more appropriate. All I know is that I am waiting for that time when I can feast on nice big pasture raised pork chop again with juicy fat and crackling (sorry beef) as our ancestors did before us.
You are right about the moderation, and that goes for the unsaturated fats as well. Take note that the video points out that we do/did get these before we started concentrating them (they are/were available in nature) but the moderation concept applies here as well. We ate corn which had the oil in it before we ever started concentrating it in crazy amounts to the point we are able to measure it and use it as a cooking ingredient. That's not moderation. :)

Have we decreased the amount of animal fat in our diet, or has that increased too, or stayed the same?
All you have to do is take a close look at the meats in a grocer's meat case and even at how 'we' currently raise cattle and hogs. Pork especially is WAAY leaner than it was when I was a kid.
Most commercial breakfast sausage like Jimmy Deans, Owens, and Old Folks don't even leave enough grease in the skillet to make a decent gravy with.
Gone from most pantries too, is lard, tho I read it is making a comeback. (makes the best pieshells)

All you have to do is take a close look at the meats in a grocer's meat case and even at how 'we' currently raise cattle and hogs. Pork especially is WAAY leaner than it was when I was a kid.
Most commercial breakfast sausage like Jimmy Deans, Owens, and Old Folks don't even leave enough grease in the skillet to make a decent gravy with.
Gone from most pantries too, is lard, tho I read it is making a comeback. (makes the best pieshells)
Thats due to commercial breeds of pigs being of a leaner variety often a landrace and duroc (in uk anyway) cross I've been growing a few from my fathers commerial pig unit in the pig paddock I made for the past few years and the fat is definitely better in taste and texture but people just do not want to see a large layer of fat on their pork joint or chop possibly due to 'misinformation' about health or for other reasons but they are missing out I think. (Also many supermarkets trim the fat of bacon these days and joints as well). :oops: But I've recently put some traditional saddle-back pigs in the paddock and gong to see what happens there, there is the danger that they get too fatty and 'run into fat' as they say but we'll see.

It's surprising how many people don't make their own bread. I mean, buying frozen dough instead of just making your own. It wouldn't take any more time. Instead of thawing a processed frozen log of dough, you let your own home made dough rise. It's so simple, just flour, salt, yeast, water, and a little oil or melted butter to make the crumb a bit more tender. It takes literally five minutes to mix it up, an hour to rise, and then into the pans for another short rise, then bake. There's nothing complicated about it. For people that don't have a stand mixer to do the kneading, and don't want to knead by hand, there's "No-Knead Bread," which is also dead simple.

I dare you to try this: Put 3 cups of flour in a mixing bowl. Add 1-1/4 teaspoon salt (a rounded teaspoon if you're lazy), and 1-1/2 teaspoon yeast (up to 2 tsp. if your yeast is not powerful). Use a wire whisk to mix the flour, salt and yeast together so there are no lumps left in the flour. Then pour in 1-1/2 cups tepid water (you can dissolve a squirt of honey in the water to encourage faster rising). Stir until all the flour is moistened, then cover the bowl and set it in a warm place to rise for an hour or so. When it's risen, turn it out on a floured board and gently deflate it and roll it into a loaf form and put in a buttered loaf pan. Let rise until it's just cresting the sides of the pan, then bake for 25 minutes at 425F degrees.

I personally like my kneaded bread better because it has a lighter texture and is good for sandwiches, but I have a Bosch mixer which makes short work of the kneading part. But that no-knead bread is easy and quick and I quite often whip up a loaf of that when I don't have the time to mix up the other.

As far as mayonnaise and rapeseed (canola) oil? Make your own! If you have an immersion blender, it's really easy, and if you don't have one, get one. They're not that expensive and you can make a batch of mayo in literally a minute.

All you do is put one whole egg and one yolk in a quart canning jar, add 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. (a good squirt) of plain old yellow mustard, a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar, and a cup of oil. I use olive oil, but not extra virgin, because it gets bitter when blended. You can use any kind of oil you feel comfortable with. Anyway, just put all that in the jar, then put the immersion blender down in it so it's sitting on the bottom, and turn it on. As you start seeing mayo form on the bottom of the jar, lift the blender up slowly, then go up and down a couple times just to make sure it's all mixed together. It could take as little as 10 seconds to make, but the time spent rinsing off the blender makes it more like a minute. Nothing could be easier.

We are crossing Mangalista with Duroc and Berkshire. We bringing fat back to the little piggies !
Interesting cross, not sure why you are bothering with mangalista, actually I do probably to bring hair back to the pig, you could be on to a winner there. I might try some berskshires next time round.

It's surprising how many people don't make their own bread. I mean, buying frozen dough instead of just making your own. It wouldn't take any more time. Instead of thawing a processed frozen log of dough, you let your own home made dough rise. It's so simple, just flour, salt, yeast, water, and a little oil or melted butter to make the crumb a bit more tender. It takes literally five minutes to mix it up, an hour to rise, and then into the pans for another short rise, then bake. There's nothing complicated about it. For people that don't have a stand mixer to do the kneading, and don't want to knead by hand, there's "No-Knead Bread," which is also dead simple.

I dare you to try this: Put 3 cups of flour in a mixing bowl. Add 1-1/4 teaspoon salt (a rounded teaspoon if you're lazy), and 1-1/2 teaspoon yeast (up to 2 tsp. if your yeast is not powerful). Use a wire whisk to mix the flour, salt and yeast together so there are no lumps left in the flour. Then pour in 1-1/2 cups tepid water (you can dissolve a squirt of honey in the water to encourage faster rising). Stir until all the flour is moistened, then cover the bowl and set it in a warm place to rise for an hour or so. When it's risen, turn it out on a floured board and gently deflate it and roll it into a loaf form and put in a buttered loaf pan. Let rise until it's just cresting the sides of the pan, then bake for 25 minutes at 425F degrees.

I personally like my kneaded bread better because it has a lighter texture and is good for sandwiches, but I have a Bosch mixer which makes short work of the kneading part. But that no-knead bread is easy and quick and I quite often whip up a loaf of that when I don't have the time to mix up the other.

As far as mayonnaise and rapeseed (canola) oil? Make your own! If you have an immersion blender, it's really easy, and if you don't have one, get one. They're not that expensive and you can make a batch of mayo in literally a minute.

All you do is put one whole egg and one yolk in a quart canning jar, add 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. (a good squirt) of plain old yellow mustard, a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar, and a cup of oil. I use olive oil, but not extra virgin, because it gets bitter when blended. You can use any kind of oil you feel comfortable with. Anyway, just put all that in the jar, then put the immersion blender down in it so it's sitting on the bottom, and turn it on. As you start seeing mayo form on the bottom of the jar, lift the blender up slowly, then go up and down a couple times just to make sure it's all mixed together. It could take as little as 10 seconds to make, but the time spent rinsing off the blender makes it more like a minute. Nothing could be easier.
Thanks, I might just try your recipe Lannie.

Ken

Interesting cross, not sure why you are bothering with mangalista, actually I do probably to bring hair back to the pig, you could be on to a winner there. I might try some berskshires next time round.
The Mangalista was just to fat. No wonder it almost went extinct.
We got some nice marbling ...but way to fat. So we started crossing them with Berkshire, and now with Duroc.

When I was young working on a hog farm we still had some fine lines of marbling running through our pork.
50+ years later, pork is very bland and too lean for my taste.

Hopefully in a couple years we will have something very different than store-bought piggies🐖🐖🐖

IMG_0532.JPEG

The Mangalista was just to fat. No wonder it almost went extinct.
We got some nice marbling ...but way to fat. So we started crossing them with Berkshire, and now with Duroc.

When I was young working on a hog farm we still had some fine lines of marbling running through our pork.
50+ years later, pork is very bland and too lean for my taste.

Hopefully in a couple years we will have something very different than store-bought piggies🐖🐖🐖

View attachment 34513
I picked up some Old Spot sows and a boar near you for a guy here last summer. I kinda liked them. Seems to be a larger breed but very docile.

Yes @Lannie !

I'm not normaly one for recipes but I'd just realised I had all the ingredients for your homemade mayonnaise so thought I'd give it a go. I had to google immersion blender which is when I realised I already had one lol- so that's what its called!

IMG_20230905_184016661.jpgIMG_20230905_185307543.jpg

No idea what a canning jar was so I used this big glass tankard I found in the cupboard and you were right it blends in seconds its almost instant, the result was quite yellow and a bit salty (I think I added too much) so I added more lemon juice I can play around with the recipe a bit but otherwise its passable as mayonnaise its almost delicious I will have some with supper tonight. And I don;t see any reason to buy mayonniase again this really takes no time at all I just wish I'd known how to do this years ago tbh as I do like my mayo and I'm always running out of it. Cheers.

Latest posts