Saddle Bread

Help Support CattleToday:

Would this be good to make as a first time bread maker? I mean I can do biscuits pretty good but never tried loaf bread. Also, are you sure the recipe is right where it says "1/2 cup bacon"? Seems like half a cup of bacon is just not enough bacon.

Craig Miller":o9zqenp2 said:
Would this be good to make as a first time bread maker? I mean I can do biscuits pretty good but never tried loaf bread. Also, are you sure the recipe is right where it says "1/2 cup bacon"? Seems like half a cup of bacon is just not enough bacon.

I suck at making bread so yes it would be easy for a first time bread maker because if I can do it I'm sure you can. Besides, how can you screw up something with bacon and cheese? As for the amount of bacon, that is just what I used. Actually, I don't think there is such a thing as too much bacon.

Jo, where did you learn to cook? I'm sure you've created a lot of stuff by trial and taste, but you have so many good ideas, just curious how you got started.

Wish I would of started paying attention sooner. I'd give a weeks wages to be able to reproduce grandma's Sunday fried chicken.

CottageFarm":2n36ii9x said:
True HDR, not exactly the same as hand kneaded, but minor recipe adjustments can help alot. Adding wheat gluten to the recipe will get you extremely close to a hand kneaded loaf
I think Jo is going gluten free nowadays.......

Commercialfarmer":14xs13ec said:
Jo, where did you learn to cook? I'm sure you've created a lot of stuff by trial and taste, but you have so many good ideas, just curious how you got started.

Started with the scouts then working my way through college I learned restaurants were an easy place to find employment if you were willing to work weird hours and didn't mind working through the holidays. Then being a broke bachelor cinched it. Now its just more of a matter of wanting to be totally self sufficient.

greybeard":3s1lxphl said:
CottageFarm":3s1lxphl said:
True HDR, not exactly the same as hand kneaded, but minor recipe adjustments can help alot. Adding wheat gluten to the recipe will get you extremely close to a hand kneaded loaf
I think Jo is going gluten free nowadays.......

Yep, I've found gluten free bread topped yolk-less mayonnaise is more spiritual.

Jogeephus":1f8oyw95 said:
Commercialfarmer":1f8oyw95 said:

Started with the scouts then working my way through college I learned restaurants were an easy place to find employment if you were willing to work weird hours and didn't mind working through the holidays. Then being a broke bachelor cinched it. Now its just more of a matter of wanting to be totally self sufficient.

Funny, only job i remember applying for and not getting an offer to work was at a couple restaurants in college.

Self sufficency is probably illegal and dangerous. If untaxed liquor can make you go blind, what do you think a whole pantry full of untaxed stuff could do?

Commercialfarmer":y1is0uxx said:
Self sufficency is probably illegal and dangerous. If untaxed liquor can make you go blind, what do you think a whole pantry full of untaxed stuff could do?

Probably kill you if its not organic and gluten free! :lol2:

It amazes me to watch what people buy in the stores these days. Boxed, prepared processed foods which are all overpriced. Many buying this crap are poor and it just doesn't make sense to me. I grow a big garden and once I've picked what I want I give it away but very few will come pick it even though its free. It baffles me because when I was living hand to mouth I lived out of my garden and ate rabbit and chicken and I ate very well for next to nothing. Now that I have the means to buy about anything I want we still eat for next to nothing and to think I'm eating something good that the taxman didn't get a cut off makes it all the better and with my savings I can more easily justify life's necessities like guns and ammo and other cool stuff.