Homemade bread

Help Support CattleToday:

Your tankard is perfect for the job. ;) I love making stuff myself, and mayo is one of those "it's too easy to be true" things that just amazes me every time I make it. I have to be careful, though, with no air conditioning here, it's sometimes too hot in the summer to make good mayo. I have to measure out my oil and then chill it in the fridge down to about 60F before I start, otherwise it tends to break and separate. Icky. But you did GREAT! It looks like it came out perfect! :)

Yes @Lannie !

...what a canning jar was so I used this big glass tankard I found in the cupboard...
The irony of this made me laugh. Without the picture I for sure wouldn't have known what a tankard was. I like it though and I think I'm going to start using it. When my wife gives me that look I'm going to refer her across the big water!

But good health is cheaper in the long run! The lack of animal fats or at least healthy fats is a disaster for peoples health I think and vegetable oils are not a good replacement, sure for some people no problems arise but are people bodies at their optimum or just bumling along? The problem comes with things like mayonniase and things like that I just looked at the jar in my fridge and its bascially 90% rapeseed oil, so I have no idea how to overcome that.
It's really easy to make your own. Surprisingly the taste and texture is just like store bought but you can use healthy oils.

It's really easy to make your own. Surprisingly the taste and texture is just like store bought but you can use healthy oils.
You haven't been keeping up with current events have you? :LOL: I made some last night and it was delicious I wouldn't say the texture was the same I would say it was better. Its incredibly filling though to the extent I had to skip dessert I felt great the next day though not sure if that can be attributed to the mayo or not.

The irony of this made me laugh. Without the picture I for sure wouldn't have known what a tankard was. I like it though and I think I'm going to start using it. When my wife gives me that look I'm going to refer her across the big water!
Its not a commonly used word, its practically old English. If someone asks for a glass with a handle in a pub over here they'll ask for a glass with a handle or just a 'handle' they don't say a tankard, but agreed its a nice word.

It's surprising how many people don't make their own bread. I mean, buying frozen dough instead of just making your own. It wouldn't take any more time. Instead of thawing a processed frozen log of dough, you let your own home made dough rise. It's so simple, just flour, salt, yeast, water, and a little oil or melted butter to make the crumb a bit more tender. It takes literally five minutes to mix it up, an hour to rise, and then into the pans for another short rise, then bake. There's nothing complicated about it. For people that don't have a stand mixer to do the kneading, and don't want to knead by hand, there's "No-Knead Bread," which is also dead simple.

I dare you to try this: Put 3 cups of flour in a mixing bowl. Add 1-1/4 teaspoon salt (a rounded teaspoon if you're lazy), and 1-1/2 teaspoon yeast (up to 2 tsp. if your yeast is not powerful). Use a wire whisk to mix the flour, salt and yeast together so there are no lumps left in the flour. Then pour in 1-1/2 cups tepid water (you can dissolve a squirt of honey in the water to encourage faster rising). Stir until all the flour is moistened, then cover the bowl and set it in a warm place to rise for an hour or so. When it's risen, turn it out on a floured board and gently deflate it and roll it into a loaf form and put in a buttered loaf pan. Let rise until it's just cresting the sides of the pan, then bake for 25 minutes at 425F degrees.

I personally like my kneaded bread better because it has a lighter texture and is good for sandwiches, but I have a Bosch mixer which makes short work of the kneading part. But that no-knead bread is easy and quick and I quite often whip up a loaf of that when I don't have the time to mix up the other.

As far as mayonnaise and rapeseed (canola) oil? Make your own! If you have an immersion blender, it's really easy, and if you don't have one, get one. They're not that expensive and you can make a batch of mayo in literally a minute.

All you do is put one whole egg and one yolk in a quart canning jar, add 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. (a good squirt) of plain old yellow mustard, a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar, and a cup of oil. I use olive oil, but not extra virgin, because it gets bitter when blended. You can use any kind of oil you feel comfortable with. Anyway, just put all that in the jar, then put the immersion blender down in it so it's sitting on the bottom, and turn it on. As you start seeing mayo form on the bottom of the jar, lift the blender up slowly, then go up and down a couple times just to make sure it's all mixed together. It could take as little as 10 seconds to make, but the time spent rinsing off the blender makes it more like a minute. Nothing could be easier.
I am single and have burned spaghetti so easy there... 🤣 Picture me walking up to a person in HEB and asking where they keep the mixing bows, wire whisks, and yeast.

Can you make a YouTube how to?

I am single and have burned spaghetti so easy there... 🤣 Picture me walking up to a person in HEB and asking where they keep the mixing bows, wire whisks, and yeast.

Can you make a YouTube how to?

I don't know what HEB is... :( But my ex (the operative word here being EX) husband used to offer to cook something for me, and then come out of the kitchen and say, "Honey, where are the pans?" Criminy. He knew where the blasted pans were, but he also knew if he asked me, I'd just go in there and do it myself, to save having to answer a hundred questions. He was crafty. He figured out how to avoid loading the dishwasher, too, by doing it so badly, the dishes would knock together and break. My current husband is a gem. He can't cook a LOT of things, but the ones he does, he does well, and he washes dishes BY HAND!

My fingers hit the wrong key up there and I didn't get to finish... I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were that way, but it reminded me, LOL! Anyway, I was going to post a youtube video on the mayo. There are lots of them, but here's one example:

He makes it seem harder than it really is. Just dump in a whole egg, one egg yolk (skip the water), a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar, a squirt or dollop of mustard, and a quarter teaspoon of salt and one cup or a bit more, of the oil of your choice. I use olive oil, but not extra virgin. I did that once and it was VERY bitter, ick. It will take about 5 to 10 seconds to whip this together into mayo. The best part is the only thing you need to wash is the blender and your measuring spoon. If you use a canning jar, put the oil in first up to the cup mark, then add the eggs and the rest, and blend. Then you don't have to wash an oily measuring cup, either. Easy-peasy. I will never use a food processor or countertop blender again!

I don't know what HEB is... :( But my ex (the operative word here being EX) husband used to offer to cook something for me, and then come out of the kitchen and say, "Honey, where are the pans?" Criminy. He knew where the blasted pans were, but he also knew if he asked me, I'd just go in there and do it myself, to save having to answer a hundred questions. He was crafty. He figured out how to avoid loading the dishwasher, too, by doing it so badly, the dishes would knock together and break. My current husband is a gem. He can't cook a LOT of things, but the ones he does, he does well, and he washes dishes BY HAND!
HEB a big grocery store chain. I can cook animals I kill, BBQ, and make a pretty good breakfast. I hand wash my dishes too so hopefully there is still a chance for me. 🤣 Maria fills in the gaps on most of my other domestic downfalls.

my wife does the same thing. bombards me with 100 question about everything involved in any project because she knows I'll just opt to go do it myself instead of wading thru all that.
My wife, would load the dishwasher with the largest easiest to clean dishes and run the thing every day if I allowed her too, meanwhile wouldn't be room for any coffee cups or glasses. Good thing I love her.

110 year old H-E-B is the greatest grocery chain on planet Earth. Ask any Texan.

Last edited:
Grew up with a Czech/ Bohemian grandmother, home made bread, kolaches, Dewberry kobbler was part of every day life.

If I cant make it to Green's there are actually some fozen doughs that get real close. They have exact directions on them for how to thaw and let rise.
Same here
Czech grandmother

Been thinking about the mayo recipe. Raw egg yolks may contain bacteria and make you ill. Is there another way to make mayo?

This is technically called "strategic incompetence." Some employees and some spouses (not mine) are very good at it.

Been thinking about the mayo recipe. Raw egg yolks may contain bacteria and make you ill. Is there another way to make mayo?

Ooooh, I don't think homemade mayo is for you, then. You should keep buying mayo at the store. ;)

I'm betting you wouldn't be caught dead drinking fresh raw milk, or eating a less than well-done steak, either, am I right?

Latest posts