Saddle Bread

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Saddle Bread

Mix together everything you need for making white bread and to 14 ounces of the dry mix add 1/2 cup crispy cooked bacon and 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Add liquids and fold twenty times then form in ball and cover and let rest for about an hour in a warm place. It will rise but not double. Once its risen place on greased cookie sheet and form into a loaf being careful not to press on the top of the loaf. If you wish, you can slice the top of the loaf with a sharp knife for creases.

Place in 400F oven - or dutch oven if camping for 30-40 minutes till browned.

End result is a firm bread with the flavor of a ham/bacon & cheese sandwich. Its firm and almost has a meaty texture. Should keep in your pack or saddlebag safely till consumed. Very good for pork and been sopping or just eaten by itself. Its very nutrient dense and filling.

13907168_889328697839784_6138351822762869626_n.jpg

Jo, have you ever tried putting some jalapeños in there? Looks darn tasty. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Jogeephus":8q1de537 said:
Saddle Bread

Mix together everything you need for making white bread and to 14 ounces of the dry mix add 1/2 cup crispy cooked bacon and 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Add liquids and fold twenty times then form in ball and cover and let rest for about an hour in a warm place. It will rise but not double. Once its risen place on greased cookie sheet and form into a loaf being careful not to press on the top of the loaf. If you wish, you can slice the top of the loaf with a sharp knife for creases.

End result is a firm bread with the flavor of a ham/bacon & cheese sandwich. Its firm and almost has a meaty texture. Should keep in your pack or saddlebag safely till consumed. Very good for pork and been sopping or just eaten by itself. Its very nutrient dense and filling.

Jo please do biscuits! :D

Jogeephus":14s1jioa said:
Saddle Bread

Jo, are you married?

Jogeephus":3p7lvrpw said:
Saddle Bread

Thanks Jo you know im not a good bread maker but will try :lol:

inyati13":2tkdvngs said:
Jo, are you married?

Inyati and jo meet up and get married off of cattle today! :heart: I wonder if anyone has ever gotten hitched or started dating off our forum! :lol2:

NECowboy":2nol7x7h said:
inyati13":2nol7x7h said:
Jo, are you married?

Inyati and jo meet up and get married off of cattle today! :heart: I wonder if anyone has ever gotten hitched or started dating off our forum! :lol2:
I don't think they are married but CB and TB qualify as quarreling like and old married couple

M-5":2di245nd said:
NECowboy":2di245nd said:
inyati13":2di245nd said:
Jo, are you married?

I don't think they are married but CB and TB qualify as quarreling like and old married couple
Who that?

NECowboy":3qk051oq said:

Biscuits are easy. If you want them to be big and fluffy you need to use plenty of lard or butter.

Here is a recipe I like for Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits - Cat head Style.

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen plus more for greasing baking sheet
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cold buttermilk

DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Generously grease bottom of a baking sheet with butter.
Use a box grater to grate cold butter into a small cold bowl Place bowl in freezer when you are done. Key is keeping butter cold.

In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until well combined. Add grated butter and, using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until it's the size of small peas. Don't use your hands because this will warm the butter! Key is keeping it cold.

Pour in cold buttermilk and stir mixture with a wooden spoon just until a dough forms (do not overmix).
Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; treating it as delicate as a newborn baby, very gently pat into a rough ball adding a little flour if its too sticky. Use a sharp knife or bench scraper to cut dough in half. Place one half on top of other half, and very gently press halves together, shaping into a rough ball again. Repeat 3 times. (this makes additional airy pockets in the biscuits)

Gently shape dough into a rough rectangle about 1-inch thick. I then use a quart Mason jar ring to cut the biscuits and transfer to the buttered baking sheet. I put the biscuits where they bump up against one another and I think this gives a higher rise but some space an inch apart.

Place baking sheet in freezer 10 minutes to re-chill dough. You gotta keep the butter firm till its heated in oven.

Transfer baking sheet directly from freezer to oven and bake biscuits 10 to 12 minutes until golden and fluffy. I like to brush melted butter on the tops just before they are finished.

If you make these and like them but want them to be crazy flaky and super soft substitute lard for the butter. The lard has to be nearly frozen too and treat it the same way. Lard biscuits are old school and frowned on today but they are simply the best.

Now as you are waiting for this to cook toss some patty sausage in the skillet and save the grease and add some of flour and salt and pepper to make your gravy. Substitute black coffee for water when you are making your gravy for some extra flavor and you'll have a meal fit for a king.

Let me know what you think.

You can add shredded cheese to this as well but they won't be as fluffy but will be good all the same. About a cup of cheese should be plenty.

Jogeephus":2hlmwzy7 said:
NECowboy":2hlmwzy7 said:

Biscuits are easy. If you want them to be big and fluffy you need to use plenty of lard or butter.

Here is a recipe I like for Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits - Cat head Style.

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen plus more for greasing baking sheet
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cold buttermilk

DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Generously grease bottom of a baking sheet with butter.
Use a box grater to grate cold butter into a small cold bowl Place bowl in freezer when you are done. Key is keeping butter cold.

In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until well combined. Add grated butter and, using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until it's the size of small peas. Don't use your hands because this will warm the butter! Key is keeping it cold.

Pour in cold buttermilk and stir mixture with a wooden spoon just until a dough forms (do not overmix).
Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; treating it as delicate as a newborn baby, very gently pat into a rough ball adding a little flour if its too sticky. Use a sharp knife or bench scraper to cut dough in half. Place one half on top of other half, and very gently press halves together, shaping into a rough ball again. Repeat 3 times. (this makes additional airy pockets in the biscuits)

Gently shape dough into a rough rectangle about 1-inch thick. I then use a quart Mason jar ring to cut the biscuits and transfer to the buttered baking sheet. I put the biscuits where they bump up against one another and I think this gives a higher rise but some space an inch apart.

Place baking sheet in freezer 10 minutes to re-chill dough. You gotta keep the butter firm till its heated in oven.

Transfer baking sheet directly from freezer to oven and bake biscuits 10 to 12 minutes until golden and fluffy. I like to brush melted butter on the tops just before they are finished.

If you make these and like them but want them to be crazy flaky and super soft substitute lard for the butter. The lard has to be nearly frozen too and treat it the same way. Lard biscuits are old school and frowned on today but they are simply the best.

Now as you are waiting for this to cook toss some patty sausage in the skillet and save the grease and add some of flour and salt and pepper to make your gravy. Substitute black coffee for water when you are making your gravy for some extra flavor and you'll have a meal fit for a king.

Let me know what you think.

You can add shredded cheese to this as well but they won't be as fluffy but will be good all the same. About a cup of cheese should be plenty.

Thanks for the super detailed instructions and tips! What is cat head style? Do you have a preference for a particular brand biscuit flour?

Cat head biscuits are just named that because they are the size of a cat's head. One biscuit should do you. My grandmother used to make lard biscuits about the size of a silver dollar. These were really good with a scoop of jelly but for adding meats and eggs I prefer the bigger biscuit.

I don't have a favorite flour. I use White Lily, Gold Medal and Martha White. I think any will do because I think its more of how you treat the flour and dough more than anything else. I used to make a lot of biscuits for the Scouts in a dutch oven then one day I tried to make some in the house and just couldn't make them worth a flip. Harder I tried the harder the biscuits got. Then I figured out the temperature problem and how I was trying too hard hence the suggestion about treating it like a baby and the cooling.

BTW - that recipe will make a lot of biscuits and they really are best served fresh so rather than cooking the whole batch you can freeze uncooked biscuits to cook later and they will be just as good when they come out the oven.

Kingfisher, I don't know anything about bread machines but I think they would just limit your options. My daughter is the bread maker in the family and she can make some really wonderful breads so there are a lot of options to choose from but I just used a basic rustic bread whose base just consist of yeast, salt and all purpose flour. (1 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast, 1 tablespoon salt, 6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour)

NECowboy":2drdibkg said:
inyati13":2drdibkg said:
Jo, are you married?

SirLoin and Medicine Woman did I think.

M-5":3rk0hwv0 said:
NECowboy":3rk0hwv0 said:
inyati13":3rk0hwv0 said:
Jo, are you married?

That wern't no quarrel. That was a civilized discussion between a redneck piece of white trash and a wet back.

Looks good Jo! will definitely try one.

Kingfisher, the secret to using a bread machine is to not bake in it.
Let the machine do the kneading and the 1st rise, but then pull the dough out of the machine for the punch down and second rise. Baked in the machine seldom produces a satisfactory loaf of bread.

CottageFarm":q2a2utnt said:
Looks good Jo! will definitely try one.

Kingfisher, the secret to using a bread machine is to not bake in it.
Let the machine do the kneading and the 1st rise, but then pull the dough out of the machine for the punch down and second rise. Baked in the machine seldom produces a satisfactory loaf of bread.
Kinda... It ain't Jo quality, but it is better than store bought. We use ours a lot and we seldom buy bread at the store.

Like I said tho, it ain't Jo good.

True HDR, not exactly the same as hand kneaded, but minor recipe adjustments can help alot. Adding wheat gluten to the recipe will get you extremely close to a hand kneaded loaf

Latest posts