2022, here we go again!

Help Support CattleToday:

I was experimenting with BB genetics in the early '80s. and then I got involved with some people from Belgium and advised them on various issues concerning import and marketing. They are a wonderful breed with some huge caveats. Terminal crosses can be attractive. I'm kind of surprised that people aren't using them more.
They are actually used alot in some countries. Here they are used mostly on dairy cows to get a calf for export, but there are some countries where they are used on beef cows to produce a comercial calf as well as to get some good cows.

My first exposure to BB was at a Farm Show. We had cattle breeds on display. Someone had a BB. When they had to load him, it was a riot. The yearling bull was so muscle bound he could not pick up a foot high enough to step into a trailer. One guy held the lead rope, one guy picked up his foot and two guys were on the rump pushing. Once they got the front feet in, they physically had to grab his hind foot one at a time and push him in. I had already written them off as a breed when I was told nearly all the fullbloods were born caesarian. Why would anyone want to perpetuate a breed that could not survive in the wild?
I would hope they have come a long way since that time.

My first exposure to BB was at a Farm Show. We had cattle breeds on display. Someone had a BB. When they had to load him, it was a riot. The yearling bull was so muscle bound he could not pick up a foot high enough to step into a trailer. One guy held the lead rope, one guy picked up his foot and two guys were on the rump pushing. Once they got the front feet in, they physically had to grab his hind foot one at a time and push him in. I had already written them off as a breed when I was told nearly all the fullbloods were born caesarian. Why would anyone want to perpetuate a breed that could not survive in the wild?
I would hope they have come a long way since that time.
Why? Terminal crosses used on dairy cows that are not going to be used to make replacement heifers. Also used on the heifer crosses before they are slaughtered as three or four year olds after delivering cesarean by design. They do things differently over there... and it works for them.

Any kind of extreme brings high risks. Extreme muscles, extreme growth, etc. Breeds are constantly changing. Some are improving to the better, some are loosing their good traits. Belgian blues work really well in certain management. They sure can't be left on their own for the whole year that's for sure, but they have their own benefits on farms, where people are working around them everyday.
I'm personally not a fan of Angus. Especially, nowadays Angus. They lost their calving ease. Lets say thay there are easy calving lines, BUT in my experience and not just mine, Angus cross calves started causing more difficulty at calving than they used to. Angus reached growth rates close to Charolais, but with that they lost calving ease.
I know farms where belgian blues are calving naturally, or mostly naturally. Well, yes, it doesn't sound that appealing to other breeds where cows are calving naturally most of the time, but they bring way more muscles than any other breed and it sure increases the risk.
My own plan now is to breed some high % belgian blue females, but naturally calving. With a proper selection it is possible and I know many people working towards that. Just like any other breed belgian blues aren't for everybody. Charolais are known for harder calving, simmental can cause some trouble, limousines sometimes can bring extreme muscles, etc. No breed is perfect, every breed has it's own bad and good traits, and each breed can give something good to certain herds. It all depends from every farmers needs and local market which breed(-s) going to be the best choice for each farm.

Just returned from checking cows. Have a new heifer calf born. Sired by piedmontese, out of limxbluexdairy cow. 280days gestation, around 100lbs. The sire himself had 141lbs birth weight, but none of his parents or grandparents were anything simmilar, so thought that he should be easier calved than it looks at first.
IMG_20220325_013815.jpg
IMG_20220325_013512.jpg
A difference of calf's size a camera angle can make!
This cow actually had the shortest gestation from all cows still due in March, so fingers crossed that other girls will be quick too.

That would be a very light one for your cows LF.

Ken
Yes, very tiny. The sire of the calf is easy calving, so it really shows. That's the third calf from the bull I saw, all heifers and all very small framed and light.
Yesterday born bull calves both are around 100lbs and has quite big frame.

Well, one more calf today! And very special calf. The cow is 10years old, had the only heifer when she was a heifer herself, but calf was abit over 110lbs and died during birth. Since then no more heifers. Her calves always are either the best growing or in the top 5 every year. She even took one orphan calf to raise as her own one year. And finally... Have another heifer from her. 287days gestation, easily 110lbs, but calved very fast and easily herself. Sired by VRB (Dutch improved red beef). Very special heifer, that's for sure!
IMG_20220328_102448.jpg
IMG_20220328_102438.jpg
IMG_20220328_102430.jpg

The pic of the sire.
Screenshot_20220328_110640_com.huawei.browser.jpg

Next cow is due on the 5th of april, then one on the 8th and two on the 10th, but a heifer due on the 10th seems to be closer, so going to have a couple days to look after newborns and then will have some more. Heifers will start calving as well, so it'll be abit more stressfull than cows. First three are due on the 10th, 12th and 14th.

Nice looking cattle. Do you ever second guess whether to tag a calf or not on the cows with horns? I have culled my more aggressive cows out but even with that I think I would second guess myself if I had horns on any.

Latest posts