2015 hunting season

Help Support CattleToday:

Filled my elk tag today (damage tag) in our big pasture when about 75 head came through our fence. Had to wait for them to string out a little to get a good shot at one. Probably 2 yrs. cow. One 80-100 yd. shot -- lungs -- with a scoped Ruger 308, 150 gr. Remington Corelock round. Got a pic, but I'm not a good pic poster. Damage tag via neighbors getting their hay stacks torn apart by elk.

Kathie in Thorp":2a2zstfa said:
Filled my elk tag today (damage tag) in our big pasture when about 75 head came through our fence. Had to wait for them to string out a little to get a good shot at one. Probably 2 yrs. cow. One 80-100 yd. shot -- lungs -- with a scoped Ruger 308, 150 gr. Remington Corelock round. Got a pic, but I'm not a good pic poster. Damage tag via neighbors getting their hay stacks torn apart by elk.

Good job.. We have elk in Virginia but haven't heard of them doing damage like that here.

skyhightree1":3jhblhx2 said:
Kathie in Thorp":3jhblhx2 said:

Good job.. We have elk in Virginia but haven't heard of them doing damage like that here.

Major issue here, Sky, with elk vs. hay. They've been in and out a few times over the last few months, and weren't doing too much damage out in the hay fields, even with very low temps, until the heavy snow came. Then it got bad, and the stacks got hit. We've got some fence to fix with today's ruckus, but probably won't be the last time this winter, so our cows are staying close to the barn vs. the pasture that borders RR tracks.

Them georgia boys across the branch don't play :tiphat:[/quote]
Hoping some of mine will migrate over there and meet the same fate. :lol2:[/quote]

Georgia Prime, I talked to one of your hunters Friday. He told me they've only killed one doe so far and that was behind Mrs. Cheryl's house. The boy's trying to make time with my daughter and he's more scared of you than me. He told me that you are grumpy. :D

Kathie in Thorp":ny1d3c24 said:
skyhightree1":ny1d3c24 said:
Kathie in Thorp":ny1d3c24 said:

Major issue here, Sky, with elk vs. hay. They've been in and out a few times over the last few months, and weren't doing too much damage out in the hay fields, even with very low temps, until the heavy snow came. Then it got bad, and the stacks got hit. We've got some fence to fix with today's ruckus, but probably won't be the last time this winter, so our cows are staying close to the barn vs. the pasture that borders RR tracks.

That sucks bad. I would think they wouldn't make you have damage tags there with all that going on? Do they go through electric fences like that too?

True Grit Farms":229o3484 said:
Them georgia boys across the branch don't play :tiphat:
Hoping some of mine will migrate over there and meet the same fate. :lol2:[/quote]

Georgia Prime, I talked to one of your hunters Friday. He told me they've only killed one doe so far and that was behind Mrs. Cheryl's house. The boy's trying to make time with my daughter and he's more scared of you than me. He told me that you are grumpy. :D[/quote]

Better show him how straight you can shoot True Grit :nod:

Sky:
Sky, the damage tags get awarded BECAUSE of the damage. These elk are migratory. They've been in/out of the neighborhood several times in the last few months -- grazing/tearing up the hay ground. When the big snows came, they started into the stacks. My damage tag came via neighbors with ground and stack damage -- they go across our place to get here and there. They did some heavy fence damage to a short section today, but this will not be the first time it happens this year. We are keeping the cows close to the barn while the elk are amok.

Kathie in Thorp":2bgex2x3 said:
Sky:
Sky, the damage tags get awarded BECAUSE of the damage. These elk are migratory. They've been in/out of the neighborhood several times in the last few months -- grazing/tearing up the hay ground. When the big snows came, they started into the stacks. My damage tag came via neighbors with ground and stack damage -- they go across our place to get here and there. They did some heavy fence damage to a short section today, but this will not be the first time it happens this year. We are keeping the cows close to the barn while the elk are amok.

Oh yea I know we use damage tags here for deer. I would be shooting dozens of them and grinding them up :lol2:

skyhightree1":3td07nvc said:
Kathie in Thorp":3td07nvc said:
Sky:

Oh yea I know we use damage tags here for deer. I would be shooting dozens of them and grinding them up :lol2:

Well, I can't shoot dozens of elk, nor can anyone else on damage tags. Had un-filled tag, and was able to use it for this one, via the neighbors. The Master Hunter program guys have extra opps, but not the rest of us.

True Grit Farms":3199t516 said:
Georgia Prime, I talked to one of your hunters Friday. He told me they've only killed one doe so far and that was behind Mrs. Cheryl's house. The boy's trying to make time with my daughter and he's more scared of you than me. He told me that you are grumpy. :D
:lol2: He's right about grumpy.

skyhightree1":bmwx50p5 said:
[Major issue here, Sky, with elk vs. hay. They've been in and out a few times over the last few months, and weren't doing too much damage out in the hay fields, even with very low temps, until the heavy snow came. Then it got bad, and the stacks got hit. We've got some fence to fix with today's ruckus, but probably won't be the last time this winter, so our cows are staying close to the barn vs. the pasture that borders RR tracks.

That sucks bad. I would think they wouldn't make you have damage tags there with all that going on? Do they go through electric fences like that too?[/quote]

I have a couple pastures that I get to fix fence every spring. Normal movement they aren't too hard on fence but someone starts shooting at them and they are going to tear down a bunch of fence.

Dave":2k9xby4p said:
skyhightree1":2k9xby4p said:
[Major issue here, Sky, with elk vs. hay. They've been in and out a few times over the last few months, and weren't doing too much damage out in the hay fields, even with very low temps, until the heavy snow came. Then it got bad, and the stacks got hit. We've got some fence to fix with today's ruckus, but probably won't be the last time this winter, so our cows are staying close to the barn vs. the pasture that borders RR tracks.

That sucks bad. I would think they wouldn't make you have damage tags there with all that going on? Do they go through electric fences like that too?

I have a couple pastures that I get to fix fence every spring. Normal movement they aren't too hard on fence but someone starts shooting at them and they are going to tear down a bunch of fence.[/quote]

My shot came as they were trying to move them uphill/out of the hay ground, and they busted through our fence line along the RR tracks. When that elk went down, I knew she was going to stay down, and she was in the middle of the bunch. So we didn't go out there right fast . . . hoping the bunch would just continue moving up the hill. Nope, they started back towards the tracks, and I started hoofing it through about 14" of snow, hoping I could cut them off . . . I ain't nowhere as fast a bunch of boogered elk! Preface to this story, that I got later, is that the herd had been up above, and WDFW was up there with land owners/tag holders trying to move them higher, but they cut back down just past the far end of our property -- I didn't see that move. But from the house, I could hear all kinda booms and bangs and figured a slaughter must be going on higher. It was fire-cracker barrage. When they got them turned uphill again is when they came through our fence and our main pasture. End of story for the day is that the elk went right back down where they didn't want them, and landowners are pissed that WDFW isn't doing more for haystack protection, and landowners are getting tired of trying to help WDFW move them in the "herding cats" fashion. I may have messed up their program some on Sunday, but by the time my shot was fired, those elk had already been run up and down twice and were all stressed and crazy. But, when shot was fired, I didn't know that.

Kathie,
I saw the picture you posted on face book of you and the elk. Seemed to be lacking hunter orange apparel. Just saying... wouldn't want you to get into trouble or anything. One thing about all that snow, it does make it easier to keep the meat clean.

Dave":14xp4n8o said:
Kathie,
I saw the picture you posted on face book of you and the elk. Seemed to be lacking hunter orange apparel. Just saying... wouldn't want you to get into trouble or anything. One thing about all that snow, it does make it easier to keep the meat clean.

She wasn't hunting Dave.

True Grit Farms":2g45iwuk said:
Dave":2g45iwuk said:
Kathie,

She wasn't hunting Dave.

Excuse me, but you said what True Grit?

Dave":3u88m1on said:
Kathie,
The orange vest was close at hand, Dave, but everything happened too fast. I think I was clearly marked in all the red. Yes, should have had the orange!

Kathie in Thorp":hs1qh14u said:
Dave":hs1qh14u said:
Kathie,
The orange vest was close at hand, Dave, but everything happened too fast. I think I was clearly marked in all the red. Yes, should have had the orange!

You know I was just harassing you. I am certain that you had the required minimum of 400 square inches of hunter orange worn above the waist on at the time that you pulled the trigger. Just took it off when dealing with the dead animal. I know you wouldn't want to get your orange vest bloody.

Oh, if a west side tag will work, I have one that didn't get used this year....... just saying, I am available and my freezer is shy on elk meat this year.

Latest posts