KY banning hunting of hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

We were covered up in turkey up to about 2 years ago. Then nothing. No turkey at all but noticed we couldn't go past a feeder without seeing 5-10 hogs. They were everywhere so I deduced the hogs were destroying our turkey. about a year ago I got a 35' diameter trap with live camera and cellphone trip capability. My son started going out at night with a thermal scope. In 4 months we trapped/shot 150 hogs to the point we didn't ever see them even on game cameras. This year the turkey are back. The trapping and shooting has moved them out. They will be back but we are keeping the trap set and still hunting them. They are nothing more than large rats.
They are two kinds of people us with hogs and y'all that are going to get them.
We trap hundreds and never dent them.

Talked to the local butcher about feral hog and said, I know some folks that said they were pretty good eaten. His reply was some folks don't know what good is.
big old boars and sows are a bad choice to eat, especially if they've just been chased. Young ones put up and fed grain are no different than any other hog finished the same way. They are feral domesticated hogs, they are not like the typical wild Russian boars unless there's been one close by to breed with.

We were covered up in turkey up to about 2 years ago. Then nothing. No turkey at all but noticed we couldn't go past a feeder without seeing 5-10 hogs. They were everywhere so I deduced the hogs were destroying our turkey. about a year ago I got a 35' diameter trap with live camera and cellphone trip capability. My son started going out at night with a thermal scope. In 4 months we trapped/shot 150 hogs to the point we didn't ever see them even on game cameras. This year the turkey are back. The trapping and shooting has moved them out. They will be back but we are keeping the trap set and still hunting them. They are nothing more than large rats.
they get rid of almost all ground nesting birds

It had been suspected that hogs were playing some role in the lower nesting bird numbers like turkey and quail. There were stats that showed lower bird numbers as hog numbers increased. There are probably old posts on here of me saying it also. In STX they did a study with cell cams on quail nests and they did not have one hog on camera hitting a nest. I was surprised. I personally thought that would be an easy meal for a wild hog.

If I remember rights coons, possums, etc were still at the top and then snakes and road runners and things like that start accounting for losses.

The study was done on some friends of ours quail country and we saw and talked with all the people doing it. We wore them out on it but that is what it showed. We are all still skeptical. 😄 There are weather pattern changes, herbicide use, and rise in "critter" numbers also that line up with the decreased nesting birds. Coon hunters almost had coons wiped out if this country in the quail hay day. Coons are out of control now and quail are down.

I think the fire ants and coyotes here have also had a lot to do with it along with the hogs
I bought this place in 98 and you could always see quail
Less coyotes and fire ants and not many hogs at all
Coyotes breed like rats and the dogs keep them away from the house but they're still around
Hogs started getting heavier about 2010 or so
The dogs keep them away from house but they still come close and population is growing
They really have no predator but a man and you could trap every day and not make a big dent

" It had been suspected that hogs were playing some role in the lower nesting bird numbers like turkey and quail. There were stats that showed lower bird numbers as hog numbers increased. There are probably old posts on here of me saying it also. In STX they did a study with cell cams on quail nests and they did not have one hog on camera hitting a nest. I was surprised. I personally thought that would be an easy meal for a wild hog."

In our experience the quail became extinct when the fire ants moved in. That was before the hogs.

The young female shoats are best eating. Those rank tasting boar meat is popular when exported to Europe. the ranker the better. Ever hear the description of a fat woman walking? Her behind resembles two shoats fighting in a sack.

Last edited:
It had been suspected that hogs were playing some role in the lower nesting bird numbers like turkey and quail. There were stats that showed lower bird numbers as hog numbers increased. There are probably old posts on here of me saying it also. In STX they did a study with cell cams on quail nests and they did not have one hog on camera hitting a nest. I was surprised. I personally thought that would be an easy meal for a wild hog.

If I remember rights coons, possums, etc were still at the top and then snakes and road runners and things like that start accounting for losses.

The study was done on some friends of ours quail country and we saw and talked with all the people doing it. We wore them out on it but that is what it showed. We are all still skeptical. 😄 There are weather pattern changes, herbicide use, and rise in "critter" numbers also that line up with the decreased nesting birds. Coon hunters almost had coons wiped out if this country in the quail hay day. Coons are out of control now and quail are down.
I think the fire ants have probably had some impact on ground nesting birds. Haven't researched it but it sounds plausible.

big old boars and sows are a bad choice to eat, especially if they've just been chased. Young ones put up and fed grain are no different than any other hog finished the same way. They are feral domesticated hogs, they are not like the typical wild Russian boars unless there's been one close by to breed with.
Had a friend call me wanting an acorn fatten hog for his grandpa's Thanksgiving dinner. Said they were the best.

" It had been suspected that hogs were playing some role in the lower nesting bird numbers like turkey and quail. There were stats that showed lower bird numbers as hog numbers increased. There are probably old posts on here of me saying it also. In STX they did a study with cell cams on quail nests and they did not have one hog on camera hitting a nest. I was surprised. I personally thought that would be an easy meal for a wild hog."

In our experience the quail became extinct when the fire ants moved in. That was before the hogs.

The young female shoats are best eating. Those rank tasting boar meat is popular when exported to Europe. the ranker the better. Ever hear the description of a fat woman walking? Her behind resembles two shoats fighting in a sack.
Do you believe that white tail deer eat bird eggs and birds? Google "white tail eat bird eggs"

Hogs and fire ants. The fawns were killed by fire ants just like some newborn calves the cows hide in the grass. And also people were (old or injured people that could not get away.) We lived in Texas during the invasion.. At least the fire ants wiped out the ticks.
download.jpg

The scientist boys at University of Texas bred up a population of Brazilian flies (fire ants came from Brazil imported on some bunches of imported bananas got into Georgia I think it was) these tiny flies laid eggs in the fire ant's brains. When we left in 2020 the Texas native ants were coming back and fire ants were much less.

Latest posts