2015 hunting season

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
well hunting season is starting off as crap ... Bright sun shot at a doe thinking I hate her azz but looked like someone was holding a spotlight at the end of the scope I shot then realized I shot the branch which was in front of me :oops: then she walked off into the woods probably laughing her azz off.. ten minutes later nice buck I had seen comes out 130 yds away branch in the way so I stood up then the dirt on my boot fell off and was hitting the ladder stand rungs deer looked over and started walking in the woods should have shot but I didn't. I was hoping he would come to my calls and scents ... NEVER DID... got down got a call the guys tore the backhoe bucket up that made me even more happy. THEN ... THEN at night I got surrounded by coyotes howling and yipping while 1/4 away from truck this fat boy got down with all his gear and hauled arse after they passed... NOT a good season so far heres some pics of where I was hunting and the sun - oh yea its going to pour raining all this week except tomorrow

IMG_20151031_075942_555_zpsu3sdzaem.jpg

ResizedImage_1446325541421_zpsupgtcrpl.jpg

ResizedImage_1446400478698_zpsq4ybjzmc.jpg

ResizedImage_1446400479244_zpseswvvet2.jpg

hunted sunday

ResizedImage_1446421250269_zpsqnmcv1ue.jpg

ResizedImage_1446421249623_zpsnb3xxucs.jpg

ResizedImage_1446421251377_zpspx71gz8h.jpg

ResizedImage_1446421250886_zpsnjrvjvza.jpg

Don't feel bad, it has been bad in my neck of the woods also I hunted most of last week in our blackpowder season. Seen less deer than I have in many years, the only bucks we saw we passed on spikes an small 6 pointers. Later in season I may have to shoot one of them to have one to eat but not yet. I think Oklahoma has pushed killing does then with all the dry weather we had for last few years our deer herd is not what it use to be. :2cents:

Are these some of your corner post?? looks like we're gonna have to send Fenceman over to give you some instruction. :hide:

Deer season is over here. It opened on the 17th and closed on the 31st. All I got to hunt opening day and half the next day. The area is 3 point or better. I saw 11 bucks and probably 60 or 70 does. Six of the bucks were two points, of course I could have shot any of them had they been legal. The first legal was a pretty nice 3 point that GF's brother spotted so he shot it. The next was a small legal buck who was with a big 2 point. He was not just small in horns but compared to the 2 point he was with he looked small bodied. I passed on him. The next was with a huge 2 point. I was busy trying to put a third point on the big buck and by the time I noticed the 3 point he was too quick gone. Then I saw a pretty decent 3 point standing broadside at about 100 yards but about 30 feet on the other side of the fence. My side of the fence he was dead meat but I am not going trespassing. And the last morning we spotted a big buck. Horns about twice as high as his ears. But he was out about 700 yards. We put together a great plan. We zigged, he zagged. Never saw him again.
Good thing elk season opens this Saturday. They are more fun to hunt and a lot more worthwhile to shoot anyway.

Dave
I guess you all count one side where we count both. so is a 2pt a deer with forks and no other points
. Forks on both sides or spikes on both sides

BRYANT":1lgypy6q said:
Dave
I guess you all count one side where we count both. so is a 2pt a deer with forks and no other points
I'm not Dave but I think he's talking about mule deer and a lot of them don't grow brow tines so they don't count them so a 2 point would be fork and a 3 point to us would 6 point

Our season has had it's ups and downs. We've seen the largest buck ever on our property. I let two different 10pts walk, and one was close to 145BC. And I also saw two big 8pts, one of which I shot that I couldn't find. I will never hunt deer with a ballistic tip bullet again. And my brother shot at a real big buck and says he hit it hard, but we only found some hair. My Dad who is 88 killed a nice 6pt. and shot this one with his camera, so he's having a great year.

TexasBred":ladvvac7 said:
Are these some of your corner post?? looks like we're gonna have to send Fenceman over to give you some instruction. :hide:

:lol2: tb I like the chit out of ole sky, but I've decided he may be beyond instruction. :hide: ;-)

At My favorite stand the sun sets right middle of the west shooting lane. I made a shade out of a cardboard tube and some tape. Slides over the end of the scope and a couple rubber bands hold it in place.
I imagine there's something made commercially, but my post pounder rigging works mighty fine... :cboy:

TB521":28t2m1z9 said:
BRYANT":28t2m1z9 said:
Dave
I'm not Dave but I think he's talking about mule deer and a lot of them don't grow brow tines so they don't count them so a 2 point would be fork and a 3 point to us would 6 point

I am in the west and we only count one side. Actually we don't count brow tines or as we call them eye guards either, although the game dept. counts them as a legal point if they are over one inch long. Actually all the 3 points I saw had brow times so you would call then 8 points. The one huge 2 point I saw was probably 22 inches wide and 20 inches tall. That is an unusually big older deer to have just a straight 2 point.

You know Dave, you can confuse the issue further by explaining the difference between our fork horn and their 4 point. :mrgreen:

Alan":139429zo said:
You know Dave, you can confuse the issue further by explaining the difference between our fork horn and their 4 point. :mrgreen:

How about the whitetail I shot up by Colville a few years back. Was he an 8 point because he was a whitetail, or a 3 point because he was in Washington, or a 4 point because he had brow tines? I have shot spikes, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 points depending on how you count them. Now I am confused.
I would be willing to bet that I am the only one on here who has shot a whitetail, a mule deer, and a Columbian blacktail and got all of them in the same state. Well now that I think about it maybe Name'em has done it too. But I have also shot a couple Sitka blacktails too.
I should probably stick to elk. You count both sides but don't add them together. 4 by 5, or a 5 by 5, etc.

Dave":e42ssnzi said:
Alan":e42ssnzi said:

How about the whitetail I shot up by Colville a few years back. Was he an 8 point because he was a whitetail, or a 3 point because he was in Washington, or a 4 point because he had brow tines? I have shot spikes, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 points depending on how you count them. Now I am confused.
I would be willing to bet that I am the only one on here who has shot a whitetail, a mule deer, and a Columbian blacktail and got all of them in the same state. Well now that I think about it maybe Name'em has done it too. But I have also shot a couple Sitka blacktails too.
I should probably stick to elk. You count both sides but don't add them together. 4 by 5, or a 5 by 5, etc.

What was the deal on the White Tail? I thought saying boo to them was a hanging offense. Was it a special hunt, ag permit? Just curious, thanks.

Alan":40wlvfy5 said:
Dave":40wlvfy5 said:
Alan":40wlvfy5 said:

What was the deal on the White Tail? I thought saying boo to them was a hanging offense. Was it a special hunt, ag permit? Just curious, thanks.

No that would be the Columbian Whitetail there around Wahkiakum County. They are an endangered species. You can't shoot one of those without getting in big trouble. This was just regular run of the mill whitetail from up Northeast Washington. They use to be thicker than fleas on a dog's back. But then the game dept in their wisdom stopped hound hunting for cougars and along came those endangered wolves. Now there aren't nearly as many deer up in that area.

Dave":2vp0b0lz said:
The one huge 2 point I saw was probably 22 inches wide and 20 inches tall. That is an unusually big older deer to have just a straight 2 point.
I think I am confused now was it a fork horn or a 2pt with brow tines :help:

BRYANT":1q1ged3i said:
Dave":1q1ged3i said:
The one huge 2 point I saw was probably 22 inches wide and 20 inches tall. That is an unusually big older deer to have just a straight 2 point.
I think I am confused now was it a fork horn or a 2pt with brow tines :help:

A fork horn and a 2 point are interchangeable terms here. They are also sometimes referred to as a Y. Although fork horn is usually used for a younger 2 point. This deer was a straight 2 point. No brow tines. A big older buck that should have been a 4 point. And had he been a 4 point he would be in my freezer right now, instead he is busy breeding does.

FM I think you may win the big buck contest... :lol2: I have been hunting 10 days and only seen 4 deer first day shot a limb day before yesterday saw a medium size buck decided to shoot it... BAM deer took off like a jet no crazy but did hear it running through the woods for a country mile.. look over and theres a mountable buck that came out after I had shot looking around. It seen me while I was pushing the ram rod down then looked away then I took old cap off and was putting new cap on he walked behind some pines I was cussing figured I winged the other buck I stayed on stand then 45 mins later the bigger buck came out and was on a hill staring at me when I happened to look over :mad: we caught eyes and he stared for what seemed 10 mins but truly was 3-5 mins he was broadsided and to my right the gun was facing my left he turned his head I flipped gun over and tried to find him in the scope... he was GONE.. Yesterday and this morning didn't see a thing... Today its been raining all day so I cut my truck off and was on the phone with my friend didn't realize lights were on went hunting came back nothing truck was dead...guess what so was my phone.... I then was facing a good 5 mile walk to my friends house.. I cut lights off and truck charged phone enough I could call him tell him come give me a jump then it died... I am having some hard hunting this year but as long as I stay safe and not shot I will take a bad hunting year. The population is still way down from the blue tongue last year so looks like this is going to be a crappy deer hunting year. I am taking tomorrow off from hunting and clearing my head and doing something else

Mine's not goin much better I've killed 3 does but can't get a shooter buck in bow range

TB521":1w77fjzq said:
Mine's not goin much better I've killed 3 does but can't get a shooter buck in bow range

generally I can kill as many does as i feel like dealing with but i only seen one this year.. I didn't even use any kill permits .. I think the deer population wont be right for years to come.

TB521":ha9l6qls said:

generally I can kill as many does as i feel like dealing with but i only seen one this year.. I didn't even use any kill permits .. I think the deer population wont be right for years to come.

Latest posts