2 yr old Galloway heifer pair

Help Support CattleToday:

Galloways1

Reaction score
Here is a picture of one of our 2yr old Galloway heifers with her 5 month old heifer calf. Cow weighs about 1000 lbs.

Comments are welcome.

3040_and_calf.jpg

princess.jpg

Really nice looking heifer calf.
Keep us posted on her progress.
She would make a great show project for someone.

UncleLA":1vze8u4s said:
Really nice looking heifer calf.
Keep us posted on her progress.
She would make a great show project for someone.

Thanks

My 7 yr old showed the calf in the 4-H baby beef class. She has been clipped, head shaved.

She does catch people's eyes when they come looking at cattle.

The cow, and her siblings have had really good carcass numbers via ultrasound. Almost 2 sq. inches of ribeye per 100 lb, with choice marbling, and under .25 inch backfat.

Pour a bucket of water on her so we can see her! :lol2: :lol2:

Like I said, great looking pair, but the hair... Folks around here would report "abuse" on an animal with all that hair this time of the year.

SSGenetics":2rut9djf said:

Like I said, great looking pair, but the hair... Folks around here would report "abuse" on an animal with all that hair this time of the year.

:D

Galloways sweat a lot, the hair acts as a rdiator and air movement wicks away more sweat. As long as they are hydrated, they are good. The hair insulates from the direct sunlight, so the hide doesn't get the UV rays.

Just like my 90 yr old great uncle, always wore long underwear and long sleeve thermal shirts under a denim shirt during the summer. I thought he would roast. The heat and humidity never seemed to bother him.

Galloway2":a56aexj1 said:
SSGenetics":a56aexj1 said:

Galloways sweat a lot, the hair acts as a rdiator and air movement wicks away more sweat. As long as they are hydrated, they are good. The hair insulates from the direct sunlight, so the hide doesn't get the UV rays.

Just like my 90 yr old great uncle, always wore long underwear and long sleeve thermal shirts under a denim shirt during the summer. I thought he would roast. The heat and humidity never seemed to bother him.

Makes sense. It could be 110 degrees and humid down here, and most of the old timers (and I mean OLD) will be covered from head to toe in cloths! :shock:

You ever crossed those duns with RA? Seems like that would be a real suitable momma cow for your area!

SSGenetics":wg3ooiu1 said:
Galloway2":wg3ooiu1 said:
SSGenetics":wg3ooiu1 said:

Makes sense. It could be 110 degrees and humid down here, and most of the old timers (and I mean OLD) will be covered from head to toe in cloths! :shock:

You ever crossed those duns with RA? Seems like that would be a real suitable momma cow for your area!

When we are in the upper 90's with 80% humidity, the Galloways are out grazing, the Angus are in the pond.

We sell bulls to RA commercial herds. The Dun color is not real popular (rat tail mind set)

We have red Galloways too. :D

SSGenetics":2xhqj678 said:

Here is what she looked like at 90 days old, prior to getting clipped for our county fair.

3040heiferandcalfjune20_jpg_w300h266.jpg

We have a few Murray grey cross Scottish highland heifers that we're going to keep. Whenever people have asked us what they look like I've always said "they look like a dun Galloway". That was without having seen many Galloway in the flesh. But looking at your cattle I think the description is kind of reasonable. The photo of our heifer below was taken a week ago so she has her winter shag happening.

princess-aug14-2012.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

Andrew

Galloway2":2h611hdh said:
SSGenetics":2h611hdh said:

Makes you wonder why cattle shed hair in the summer if it keeps them cooler.

As for the oldtimers, I've heard them say that watering burns the lawn, and boiling water freezes faster, and drinking hot coffee cools you off.

The borrowed 3 yr old Belted Galloway bull had to wrestle with my yearling steer over a cow in heat and within 1/2 hour the little bull was nearly staggering and panting with his mouth open and the saliva pouring out, it was a hot afternoon but really, I didn't think the yearling steer would be a problem for a 3 year old bull even if the steer does have 100 lbs on him.
They are buddies now but the bull is pretty useless, he doesn't even try to breed my cows and is content to jump the front end and do his thing, I am breeding the cows a.i!

Latest posts