2 yr old Galloway heifer pair

Help Support CattleToday:

cowpunk'd":3o6pjq2j said:
The borrowed 3 yr old Belted Galloway bull had to wrestle with my yearling steer over a cow in heat and within 1/2 hour the little bull was nearly staggering and panting with his mouth open and the saliva pouring out, it was a hot afternoon but really, I didn't think the yearling steer would be a problem for a 3 year old bull even if the steer does have 100 lbs on him.
They are buddies now but the bull is pretty useless, he doesn't even try to breed my cows and is content to jump the front end and do his thing, I am breeding the cows a.i!
The real question is why would you use that bull or allowing a steer running with the herd? I don't let my steers running with my herd as they may prevent the bull from do his thing. I've had few bulls are content to jump the front end but they got the job done as usual.

He had his chance with the heifer and the old cow in their own private pasture with no steer to bother him. Both cycled back. I am using the little bull because he seemed like the best choice (choice was longhorn, dexter, galloway) and I have known short bulls to breed taller cows, I've seen them hop! But not this particular bull. If he gets the job done I won't be mad at him for jumping the wrong end, it is seeing the cows cycle back that makes me think he's a good for nothing free-loader. Especially since the heifer is only an inch or two taller then him. I thought a bull would claim a cow from a yearling steer but if you figure not, I can for sure take the steer out of the pasture easily enough since I know when every cow will be cycling back as I am breeding a.i. since I have no faith in Shorty anymore. I have tried getting hot cow to stand in hole and next to gravel pile, but he never caught on. Do you think he is intimidated by my cows? They are not at all subtle when in heat and they do spend alot of energy jumping on the bull (most of the time even the right end of him).

cowpunk'd":38571r36 said:
He had his chance with the heifer and the old cow in their own private pasture with no steer to bother him. Both cycled back. I am using the little bull because he seemed like the best choice (choice was longhorn, dexter, galloway) and I have known short bulls to breed taller cows, I've seen them hop! But not this particular bull. If he gets the job done I won't be mad at him for jumping the wrong end, it is seeing the cows cycle back that makes me think he's a good for nothing free-loader. Especially since the heifer is only an inch or two taller then him. I thought a bull would claim a cow from a yearling steer but if you figure not, I can for sure take the steer out of the pasture easily enough since I know when every cow will be cycling back as I am breeding a.i. since I have no faith in Shorty anymore. I have tried getting hot cow to stand in hole and next to gravel pile, but he never caught on. Do you think he is intimidated by my cows? They are not at all subtle when in heat and they do spend alot of energy jumping on the bull (most of the time even the right end of him).
Better cull him and get another good Belted Galloway bull or any breed of your choice. Belted Galloway bulls are supposed to be horniest bulls on the earth.

In absolutely no way is one animal representative of a breed. I had been back grounding 45 steers for the last 4 months. I had one Galloway cross in the group. It came with a group I purchased. How it got in a graded pen I will never know. It gained 40 pounds total in 4 months. I will say the cattle in this thread look like they would grow better than he did. He looked like he was wearing a bear skin rug. I no longer buy from that stock yard.

Bigfoot, you are correct. One can't make a breed determination based on one animal.

Bloodlines and selection play a huge part.

We just weighed our March and April calves, bulls and heifers. They had WDA ranging from 2.0 - 3-20 lbs per day of age. A couple of the top bulls are averaging just below 4lbs/day gain from the last weight. We have had one of the hottest summers on record. Many weeks in the upper 90s, with 70% humidity.

People comparing Belted Galloway cattle to solid Galloways have to do their homework. They are NOT the same cattle.

Galloway2":2hk56bp0 said:
Bigfoot, you are correct. One can't make a breed determination based on one animal.

We just weighed our March and April calves, bulls and heifers. They had WDA ranging from 2.0 - 3-20 lbs per day of age. A couple of the top bulls are averaging just below 4lbs/day gain from the last weight. We have had one of the hottest summers on record. Many weeks in the upper 90s, with 70% humidity.

People comparing Belted Galloway cattle to solid Galloways have to do their homework. They are NOT the same cattle.
Pretty sure they are same cattle and come from same background...only they started to separated the bloodlines by the colors (solids and belted) in the 18th-19th century to become registered...much like Black Angus and Red Angus.

Taurus":hu1t47t5 said:
Galloway2":hu1t47t5 said:

Pretty sure they are same cattle and come from same background...only they started to separated the bloodlines by the colors (solids and belted) in the 18th-19th century to become registered...much like Black Angus and Red Angus.

I would say quality separates the two as well. From what I have seen, solids are by far the superior animal. :2cents:

SSGenetics":ip56600o said:
Taurus":ip56600o said:
Galloway2":ip56600o said:

I would say quality separates the two as well. From what I have seen, solids are by far the superior animal. :2cents:
To be fair, very few quality galloways (both belted/solid) makes a nice cow. The solids I seen weren't very impressive, have smaller calves on their side. I also seen crappy quality belted galloways as well. I even seen solid Galloway cross calves at the sale barn take a huge dock because of their small size and hair. I'm not saying that solid Galloway sucks, Belted Galloway rules.....the quality and selection play a big role...however I seen too many crappy galloways (regardless of the colors) and very few quality ones. (no pun intended but that's reality) I could use some nice Red/Black superior galloways in my herd.

As I said before, Galloway and Belted Galloway comes from SAME orgin before they started to separated.

Taurus":2h84azgx said:
As I said before, Galloway and Belted Galloway comes from SAME orgin before they started to separated.

Back in the 1800s and 1900s yes, to an extent. The Belted were created by crossing dutch belted dairy cattle with a Galloways.

The belteds have their own herdbook, because they aren't 100% fullbloods.

The biggest downfall to the breed was when they became a "hobby" cow. People multiplying poor cattle, because they were cute, or unique, not cattle breeders breeding quality cattle.

Not all did this, but many, many did, in both the belteds and the solids.

Kinda like some of the "Angus breeders" posting craigslist ads, that get posted on CT for our enjoyment. :D

I have been involved with the Galloway breed for 30+ years, and was involved in the revisions made to the current by-laws and herd book.

I know full well the hurdles this breed has had to overcome. Not all of the Galloway cattle out there have made it to the home stretch yet, and many have been lapped. :cboy:

The galloway breeders in Minnesota could use some of your cattle to improve theirs!

I noticed something interesting about several commerical ranches locally, I seen an increased numbers of the beltie cross cattle in several commerical operations around here recently.

Taurus":3r5w6c04 said:
The galloway breeders in Minnesota could use some of your cattle to improve theirs!

I noticed something interesting about several commerical ranches locally, I seen an increased numbers of the beltie cross cattle in several commerical operations around here recently.

Thanks, some have recently. The grass finishing gurus screwed up a lot of good cattle...smaller framed, smaller framed = SLOW GROWTH

The Buelingo breed ( more dutch belted blood) developed by a ND guy and NDSU did gain alot of favor. A little dairy blood in a commercial herd goes a long way. :cboy:

Galloway2":1g8oovqm said:
Taurus":1g8oovqm said:

Thanks, some have recently. The grass finishing gurus screwed up a lot of good cattle...smaller framed, smaller framed = SLOW GROWTH

The Buelingo breed ( more dutch belted blood) developed by a ND guy and NDSU did gain alot of favor. A little dairy blood in a commercial herd goes a long way. :cboy:
While the Buelingo breed is nice cattle, they need to improve some more...such as horns, udders and few traits in the woodpiles from the crossbreeding with other random breeds (it's an open herdbook). I am impressed with the buelingo calves but I think I prefer Belted Galloway x Angus or Hereford crosses than these buelingos....less hidden undesireable traits that might show up later.

Do the Red Galloway cattle throws only red calves (assumed that you are breeding them to a red galloway bull)?

Taurus said:
Do the Red Galloway cattle throws only red calves (assumed that you are breeding them to a red galloway bull)?

Yes, red bred to red throws red calves. We have bred our red cows to red carrier black bulls, with good results.

Red carrier bulls bred to red carrier cows gives you a 50 / 50 chance of a red calf.

Just returned from the 2012 NILE in Billings, MT.

Our 2 yr old heifer pair received Grand Champion Galloway Female.

2012NILEgrandchampionfemale.jpg

I really like the look of the Galloway cattle but the hair would not work in our area. We cull for to much hair in our area, but then again our normal is 90 degrees and 90% humidity and our summers start the end of March and end in November lol.

Gizmom

gizmom":na3bpjqc said:
I really like the look of the Galloway cattle but the hair would not work in our area. We cull for to much hair in our area, but then again our normal is 90 degrees and 90% humidity and our summers start the end of March and end in November lol.

Gizmom

Your post makes a good a case against black hided cattle there as well.

Galloways are excellent cattle, but not for hot humid climates in my opinion. They can even struggle a tad in upper midwest humidity.

Galloway2,

Do you find any heat tolerance differences between the cattle with more straight hair coat versus the tighter curly coats?

AllForage":2ffcdwlh said:
gizmom":2ffcdwlh said:

Gizmom

Galloways are excellent cattle, but not for hot humid climates in my opinion. They can even struggle a tad in upper midwest humidity.

Galloway2,

Do you find any heat tolerance differences between the cattle with more straight hair coat versus the tighter curly coats?
There's few Belted Galloway breeders near the Everglades in Florida. Their cattle do well in there.

Taurus":34yycnbu said:
AllForage":34yycnbu said:
gizmom":34yycnbu said:

Gizmom

Galloway2,

There's few Belted Galloway breeders near the Everglades in Florida. Their cattle do well in there.
i bet their propped up,, lota good land and money wasted not using cattle that fit their enviroment..... ranching in the everglades must have giving way to hobbist

Thanks everyone for the comments. This 2 yr old heifer pair turned a lot of heads at the show, regardless of which breed one favors.

For those thinking of using Galloways in the south, I would suggest the silver dun colored Galloways, or the White Galloway breed.
The silver duns appear to be more heat tolerant due to the lighter color haircoat. The whites have a different haircoat, and don't have as much hair.

I have not noticed curly or straight haired blacks being more or less heat tolerant. Our Galloways tolerate OUR heat and humidity as well if not better than our Angus. They don't bunch up like the Angus, so are not standing in stagnant hot dead air.

Thanks again for the comments.

Latest posts