2 yr old Galloway heifer pair

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":11kkifhp said:
Taurus":11kkifhp said:
There's few Belted Galloway breeders near the Everglades in Florida. Their cattle do well in there.
i bet their propped up,, lota good land and money wasted not using cattle that fit their enviroment..... ranching in the everglades must have giving way to hobbist
Like I said, they do well in Florida. :tiphat: Otherwise if they don't do well in Florida, they could switch other breeds to fit in the environment.

Taurus":1dtghmr9 said:
ALACOWMAN":1dtghmr9 said:
Taurus":1dtghmr9 said:
There's few Belted Galloway breeders near the Everglades in Florida. Their cattle do well in there.
i bet their propped up,, lota good land and money wasted not using cattle that fit their enviroment..... ranching in the everglades must have giving way to hobbist
Like I said, they do well in Florida. :tiphat: Otherwise if they don't do well in Florida, they could switch other breeds to fit in the environment.

Most "hobby" types don't know if their cattle are doing good or bad.... Belted Galloway's do not do well here, and they sure as heII don't do well south of here.

Galloway2, nice pair! Congrats! :tiphat:

SSGenetics":2vejrh25 said:
Taurus":2vejrh25 said:
ALACOWMAN":2vejrh25 said:
[/u] i bet their propped up,, lota good land and money wasted not using cattle that fit their enviroment..... ranching in the everglades must have giving way to hobbist

Most "hobby" types don't know if their cattle are doing good or bad.... Belted Galloway's do not do well here, and they sure as heII don't do well south of here.

Galloway2, nice pair! Congrats! :tiphat:
Like I said, they do well in Florida and also in Texas as well. Otherwise if they don't do well, why are they still here and still thriving?

No need to beating a dead horse again :deadhorse:

ALACOWMAN":2k9hza3x said:
bet they dont do well as these.. with the natural insect tolerance,, sweating ability, and mothering... the list continues. aka made for the enviroment.. not forced to cope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZvFOXt1v84 and id feel the same about these type being raised in MN
Some breeds are highly adaptive. Galloways are no expectation.

Taurus":5i155btd said:
ALACOWMAN":5i155btd said:
bet they dont do well as these.. with the natural insect tolerance,, sweating ability, and mothering... the list continues. aka made for the enviroment.. not forced to cope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZvFOXt1v84 and id feel the same about these type being raised in MN
but how many years ""generations'' does it take for them to evolve, into the animal like the brahman has done, to the tropical areas??? got nothing againts Galloway cattle.. and Galloway2 has some nice ones.. if i lived in the north id be interested

Taurus":1l4r084z said:
ALACOWMAN":1l4r084z said:

:rtarrow: Exception?

ANAZAZI":3jtlx5jv said:
Taurus":3jtlx5jv said:
ALACOWMAN":3jtlx5jv said:

:rtarrow: Exception?[/quote]
being illiterate does have its advantages,, i never noticed that :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":1q2l8hkk said:
Taurus":1q2l8hkk said:
ALACOWMAN":1q2l8hkk said:
but how many years ""generations'' does it take for them to evolve, into the animal like the brahman has done, to the tropical areas??? got nothing againts Galloway cattle.. and Galloway2 has some nice ones.. if i lived in the north id be interested

That's why I started the other post about the Brahma X Galloway. Use the characteristics of the Galloway blended with the heat tolerance of a Brahma. Then somebody ( I won't mention your name ALACOWMAN) went and put a white belt on the picture. :tiphat:

Some breeds are highly adaptive. Galloways are no expectation.[/quote] but how many years ""generations'' does it take for them to evolve, into the animal like the brahman has done, to the tropical areas??? got nothing againts Galloway cattle.. and Galloway2 has some nice ones.. if i lived in the north id be interested[/quote]

That's why I started the other post about the Brahma X Galloway. Use the characteristics of the Galloway blended with the heat tolerance of a Brahma. Then somebody ( I won't mention your name ALACOWMAN) went and put a white belt on the picture. :tiphat:[/quote]... that was just to show taurus, what a belted brayaway should look like :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":2pe7zr5g said:
but how many years ""generations'' does it take for them to evolve, into the animal like the brahman has done, to the tropical areas??? got nothing againts Galloway cattle.. and Galloway2 has some nice ones.. if i lived in the north id be interested[/quote]

That's why I started the other post about the Brahma X Galloway. Use the characteristics of the Galloway blended with the heat tolerance of a Brahma. Then somebody ( I won't mention your name ALACOWMAN) went and put a white belt on the picture. :tiphat:[/quote]... that was just to show taurus, what a belted brayaway should look like :cowboy:[/quote]

I know, I thought it was funny. I wish I would thought of doing that on my original post. :clap:

Galloway,

You asked about the curly hair in our area and all I can speak for would be my own herd. One of our culling criteria is hair I know that isn't high on most folks list but to much hair in our area is a reason to cull. We don't have any cattle that have curly hair I think most of them have been culled out over the years. Again I like the look of your cattle you have some really nice ones and they are right for your enviorment.

Gizmom

Galloway2":1i1bo96d said:
That's why I started the other post about the Brahma X Galloway. Use the characteristics of the Galloway blended with the heat tolerance of a Brahma. Then somebody ( I won't mention your name ALACOWMAN) went and put a white belt on the picture. :tiphat:

Unfortunately, that is not how genetics work. When you breed two very different animals, you don't know what you will get, since genes are assigned randomly. You might get some with short hair and others with long and some with the growth traits of brahma and some with galloway.

I know a guy who has a holstein dairy and an angus herd, and sometimes breeds the holstein to angus. Some of the resulting heifers milk nearly as much as pure holsteins, so he puts them in his milking string. Others milk very little. Some are good beefers and others aren't.

Seems you're trying too hard to make your breed work where it doesn't. Would be easier to start with a breed closer to where you want to be. The reality is these long-haired breeds were not designed for summers in most of the states. Their country of origin was a cool, cloudy, rainy climate.

gizmom":2s4pa3l4 said:
Galloway,

You asked about the curly hair in our area and all I can speak for would be my own herd. One of our culling criteria is hair I know that isn't high on most folks list but to much hair in our area is a reason to cull. We don't have any cattle that have curly hair I think most of them have been culled out over the years. Again I like the look of your cattle you have some really nice ones and they are right for your enviorment.

Gizmom

Now if we can also cull the blacks that have increased heat stress, we'll be making progress.

http://nimss.umd.edu/homepages/home.cfm?trackID=11616

Over the past two decades black has become the preferred color of feedlot and slaughter cattle in the USA, including the Southern Region. As a result, not only has the influence of Angus cattle increased, but the black gene has been incorporated, through upgrading and selection, into a number of previously red breeds such as the Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh, etc. This is in spite of the fact that black colored cattle will absorb more solar radiation than red or other lighter-colored cattle. Studies by Mader et al. (2002) and Davis et al. (2003) both showed rather dramatic (up to 0.5º) lower body temperatures while under heat stress for white (dilute-colored Charolais crossbred) as compared to black feedlot steers. This advantage is comparable to the effect of the Slick hair gene for heat tolerance reported by Olson et al. (2003).

djinwa":9xayjn28 said:
gizmom":9xayjn28 said:
Galloway,

Gizmom

Now if we can also cull the blacks that have increased heat stress, we'll be making progress.

http://nimss.umd.edu/homepages/home.cfm?trackID=11616

Over the past two decades black has become the preferred color of feedlot and slaughter cattle in the USA, including the Southern Region. As a result, not only has the influence of Angus cattle increased, but the black gene has been incorporated, through upgrading and selection, into a number of previously red breeds such as the Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh, etc. This is in spite of the fact that black colored cattle will absorb more solar radiation than red or other lighter-colored cattle. Studies by Mader et al. (2002) and Davis et al. (2003) both showed rather dramatic (up to 0.5º) lower body temperatures while under heat stress for white (dilute-colored Charolais crossbred) as compared to black feedlot steers. This advantage is comparable to the effect of the Slick hair gene for heat tolerance reported by Olson et al. (2003).
:deadhorse:

djinwa":3b43krkn said:
Galloway2":3b43krkn said:

Unfortunately, that is not how genetics work. When you breed two very different animals, you don't know what you will get, since genes are assigned randomly. You might get some with short hair and others with long and some with the growth traits of brahma and some with galloway.

I know a guy who has a holstein dairy and an angus herd, and sometimes breeds the holstein to angus. Some of the resulting heifers milk nearly as much as pure holsteins, so he puts them in his milking string. Others milk very little. Some are good beefers and others aren't.

Seems you're trying too hard to make your breed work where it doesn't. Would be easier to start with a breed closer to where you want to be. The reality is these long-haired breeds were not designed for summers in most of the states. Their country of origin was a cool, cloudy, rainy climate.
That's what you said about black cattle were not designed for summer in most states, especially in the states where you only have two months of hot summer days.

djinwa":1euvcu6s said:
Galloway2":1euvcu6s said:

Fortunately, this is not how genetics work. Genes are not assigned randomly; they are assigned very strictly, they come in pairs, always one from Sire and one from Dam.
(Of course there is no telling if one of these genes from the Dam originates from the maternal Grandsire or the maternal Granddam. Or if the Sire at a given mating provides you with the gene from the Paternal Grandsire or the paternal Granddam...)
Because it is a first cross all the offspring will be predictable, and more predictable if the parent stock is linebred or the breeds have a limited gene pool.
Mating second cross cattle to each other; most bets are off, but for example, if none of the Grandparents are belted, this trait will not "pop up", since it is a dominant trait...

New pic as of 12-29-12

Getting ready for Denver

princessdec292012-cropped.jpg

Galloway 2 you always have some nice looking cattle. I still would have to say if i was set up and running a full cattle herd were i want to get than i would still like to visit you a little and just get some semen of even some embryos and try them out little.
Granted if i had it my way there is alot of ones i would like to try. Yours, some of 3 ways bulls always catch my mind, some of jovids red polls, red bull breeder is the reason i have talked to limi breeders. I almost think if i had the cattle to were i would like to be someday it would be cheaper just to see who would all let me just show up different times of the year and see thier operations and thier calves growing instead of having a a dozen seperate little herds off the main to to just watch and compare with. :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts