2 rounds of shots ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Same here. I also give the newborns a Toltrazuril capsule at birth for the same reason. Also try to stay on top of colostrum. Healthy starts pay dividends.
Is Toltrazuril similar to First Defense? That's what I give each calf when I tag, along with Inforce 3.

How much is First Defense there? I checked if it was available in Canada and it is. Called and got quoted $17/dose. We usually don't lose a calf to scours so a bit steep. But maybe if it starts making the rounds do tbe younger calves.

How much is First Defense there? I checked if it was available in Canada and it is. Called and got quoted $17/dose. We usually don't lose a calf to scours so a bit steep. But maybe if it starts making the rounds do tbe younger calves.
The bolus is what I use and protects against E. coli and coronavirus, generally $7 per bolus if you buy the 30 pack. The Tri Shield paste also protects against rotavirus and is around $15 per tube/dose.

I used to vaccinate with Scour Bos prior to calving years ago, but then spring calving segued into primarily spring, with about a third lagging into fall. So I stopped. And then got spanked with scours one year. Tried the First Defense the next year and I was a believer; haven't had to treat for scours in years. That said, I'm back to a relatively short spring calving again and could easily go back to vaccinating prior to calving, but gathering them up & working them in potentially nasty weather is not appealing. Plus, I need help to do that. Picking my battles and popping in a bolus day 1, when I tag & give Inforce 3. And THAT said, I moved calving back a few weeks (trying to miss brutal weather) and most of the herd is calving out in the clean pasture. If I'm unable to give a calf the bolus, especially if it's from an older cow with quality teats & colostrum, I make note of it, but rarely have a problem. First calf heifers are a different story. I calve them out in the barn and their calves get a bolus, no exceptions.

They said they didn't have any availability of bolus's and don't know when they will - only the paste. I was just assuming they'd cost close to the same but I guess not. At $7 I'd definitely go that route instead of running the cows through to needle. Hopefully they become available again soon.

Toltrazuril is definitely on my radar I'm not saying why I don't yet because it'll be bad luck, lol. But I'm sure it'll be something I do.as well.

Healthy.starts are so important. Some of the articles/info on timing of colostrum intake is very interesting. When I read through the Inforce 3 instructions I believe I read it has an effect from that initial dose at weaning...I'll have to re-check.

I started pretty early on (mostly for watering/space reasons) moving the older pairs out into a small pasture (maybe 10acres) that rarely sees use in the summer instead of a pen and I feel the healthier environment eliminates a lot of.problems. Been mulling over either moving the 3 week and older calves or dropping the newer stuff into a different one based on some of the info I'm seeing on the grass calving system where they leave the older calves behind. Water and the pain in the butt of running additional pens is holding me back.
My vet tells me many of his clients claim to have far less scours since starting on Toltazuril. He said that didn't make any sense, but then after thinking about it he wonders if the lack of coccidia in the gut left it healthier to deal with Rota, Corona, etc. There may be a connection, I don't know. But scours aren't much of a thing here anymore either, and when a case does arise they seem to respond quickly to timely treatment.
We also turn our pairs out usually at less than 48 hours, often at 24 hours onto a big clean ground and then try to move the feed around as much as possible.

The bolus is what I use and protects against E. coli and coronavirus, generally $7 per bolus if you buy the 30 pack. The Tri Shield paste also protects against rotavirus and is around $15 per tube/dose.

I used to vaccinate with Scour Bos prior to calving years ago, but then spring calving segued into primarily spring, with about a third lagging into fall. So I stopped. And then got spanked with scours one year. Tried the First Defense the next year and I was a believer; haven't had to treat for scours in years. That said, I'm back to a relatively short spring calving again and could easily go back to vaccinating prior to calving, but gathering them up & working them in potentially nasty weather is not appealing. Plus, I need help to do that. Picking my battles and popping in a bolus day 1, when I tag & give Inforce 3. And THAT said, I moved calving back a few weeks (trying to miss brutal weather) and most of the herd is calving out in the clean pasture. If I'm unable to give a calf the bolus, especially if it's from an older cow with quality teats & colostrum, I make note of it, but rarely have a problem. First calf heifers are a different story. I calve them out in the barn and their calves get a bolus, no exceptions.
Once I got our scour problem under control, I started vaccinating with Scour Bos in the fall at preg check time. It still works.
For us it's easier to jab a bred cow than it is to dodge an overly maternal momma, trying to get a bolus down a calf.

First Defense is a very good product. The price is steep on Tri-Shield, but it definitely works well. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger at that price in a herd with a scours problem.

First Defense is a very good product. The price is steep on Tri-Shield, but it definitely works well. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger at that price in a herd with a scours problem.
Reading up on it I like the sound of it, I'd prefer it to running the cows through just to do the vaccine. I'll be using it at the first sign of trouble. We're handling them for processing/Inforce anyway.

As a buyer of calves, it doesn't make much difference to me if they're weaned longer than 45 days. We haven't yet bought any with no vaccines at all, supposedly anyway. Our end goal is to have them vaccinated twice so we will give one round of vacs regardless if they've had one or two previously.

I would say if you're selling in smaller groups, vaccinated once or twice doesn't really matter. There's bound to be some that are only vaccinated once in the buyers load, so they'll vaccinate all of them anyway. If you're selling in big groups, vaccinated twice should bring a slight premium.
You say more than 45 days is a waste of time? Wondering what size calves you are buying and why you say not to go more than 45. It's been my experience that 45 days is a waste of time, especially if you castrate or dehorn at weaning. I've had better luck feeding them through the winter and then turning them out on grass until the prices get right. Always looking for ways to improve though and can't get much info from order buyers around here.

You say more than 45 days is a waste of time? Wondering what size calves you are buying and why you say not to go more than 45. It's been my experience that 45 days is a waste of time, especially if you castrate or dehorn at weaning. I've had better luck feeding them through the winter and then turning them out on grass until the prices get right. Always looking for ways to improve though and can't get much info from order buyers around here.
I'm buying mostly 5wt calves in smaller groups. As someone putting together a group and then putting them out on grass, I'm satisfied with 45 days.

I'm buying mostly 5wt calves in smaller groups. As someone putting together a group and then putting them out on grass, I'm satisfied with 45 days.
Yes if you are buying 5wt I'd say 45 is plenty. I did ok with 5 wts going 45-60 days if I could catch a special sale. When to sell calves and how long to keep them is a tricky deal. If I was buying sale barn calves I'd give them shots no matter what the seller said also.

Latest posts