2 rounds of shots ?

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
How many here Vacinate both first round and follow up with the booster shot, Casterate, Dehorn, Bunk Break, 90 day wean there calfs before taking them to the sale barn ?

Mine get 3 rounds of shots, 100 days weaned, and bunk broke.
At turn out:
7way blk leg w/ pinkeye, BoviShield Gold 5, One Shot pasteurella. injectable wormer, and cut the bulls

At weaning:
BoviShield Gold 5, One Shot pasteurella, Haemophilus Somnus, oral wormer, and pour on.

Two weeks before sale: BoviShield Gold 5, One Shot pasteurella.

Like TT said we do that protocol too. A lot of times our calves are weaned for 90 days or more, but most of the graded sales here are only a 45 day minimum so depending on when they are born sometimes it's closer to the 45 day point.

As a buyer of calves, it doesn't make much difference to me if they're weaned longer than 45 days. We haven't yet bought any with no vaccines at all, supposedly anyway. Our end goal is to have them vaccinated twice so we will give one round of vacs regardless if they've had one or two previously.

I would say if you're selling in smaller groups, vaccinated once or twice doesn't really matter. There's bound to be some that are only vaccinated once in the buyers load, so they'll vaccinate all of them anyway. If you're selling in big groups, vaccinated twice should bring a slight premium.

Castration, I have been banding 1 week to a month old. Haven't had any infections or problems. 100 % certain both nuts are banded.

A friend says he weights until they reach around 450 lbs to band. Says they seem to bulk up better being left a bull until they reach that weight. Has had bands break leaving a rotten mess to deal with at that weight. Which would be better on 450 weight, knife or band ? What are the chances of infection on cutting verses banding ?

We band at 5-6 months, give first round of shots then. Haven't had any issues with bands breaking.
Wean at 8 months.

KAstocker, what weight of calves do you look to buy?

Odd ball out I guess, Closed small herd Tx longhorns. No entry or exit u less we eat them, the best lean meat we can get. Rotated daily when the grass is growing, feed our own hay during the winter. Cleared the land a few years back myself. Spring water in 3 places. No vax!

We have vaccinated damaged children and refuse to continue with that process. People and animals made it a couple thousand years before us and will continue well after were gone.

Castration, I have been banding 1 week to a month old. Haven't had any infections or problems. 100 % certain both nuts are banded.

A friend says he weights until they reach around 450 lbs to band. Says they seem to bulk up better being left a bull until they reach that weight. Has had bands break leaving a rotten mess to deal with at that weight. Which would be better on 450 weight, knife or band ? What are the chances of infection on cutting verses banding ?
Knife, but you can get the same growth effects by giving a $1 implant when you band at a week, and save yourself the problems that come with banding bigger calves.

Wherever the value is, so it varies. Last spring was 550# steers. Spring 2019 was 480# heifers. I'm going to go for some 570# steers in a couple weeks.

Long term, I'm wanting to transition to buy around Thanksgiving and sell around September 1. That would likely be selling a 750# steer, which starts me about at 425# calf to buy. I'll figure it out as I go, but that may be too light to keep healthy.

Wherever the value is, so it varies. Last spring was 550# steers. Spring 2019 was 480# heifers. I'm going to go for some 570# steers in a couple weeks.
Long term, I'm wanting to transition to buy around Thanksgiving and sell around September 1. That would likely be selling a 750# steer, which starts me about at 425# calf to buy. I'll figure it out as I go, but that may be too light to keep healthy.
You keep them 10 months?? Nov-sept

Band/castrate, dehorn, what few we ever have, blackleg at minimum, triangle 10 most.... if weaning then 45 day minimum... We try to have 450-550 wts to sell in March. We buy and trade some. 650 & up are discounted terribly here so unless you have a pot load, they are cheap... we can buy them at 1-1.25 a lb..... and we are selling the 475-525 wt steers here right now for 1.70-1.83.... and 450 wt heifers brought 1.45 2 weeks ago....
So a 500 steer at 1.75 is worth more than a 650 wt steer at 1.25.... makes no sense here to keep over 575 lbs. tops. 650 lb heifers are cheaper... herefords in the $.75 range to blacks in the .80-1.00 range.... bought some 2 weeks ago... 7wts that I armed and several are bred... they are in decent shape and not too small so ought to make some brood cows... might calve out and sell with calves. Breds and cow/calf pairs are anywhere from 650 to 2200.... wide range, younger ones and real nice ones bring more... but it is getting on grass so they will stay up a bit I think.