17 HMR

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":1tht8g9f said:
Well I am convinced it will put a hurt on a hog at 70 yards.
Shot a 2x8 at 70 yards and it blew right through it with a nasty hole on the back side.
For a five dollar rifle I will give it a whirl for a while or 22 mag ammo becomes available.

Ill triple your money if you don't like it. ;-)

JMJ Farms":29jgwqpg said:
RoppFamilyFarm":29jgwqpg said:
JMJ Farms":29jgwqpg said:
I've got a .17 savage stainless with a bull barrel. Deadly accurate. Decently priced ammo that's usually easy to find. Fun to shoot. I have a couple of .22 mags that IMO are just as good but I can't find cartridges. I guess it depends on what you want to shoot at. They all have a purpose. Friend has a custom built .221 Fireball. Never seen or heard of that caliber before or since. But it's a bad boy for a small caliber.
I have the same thing. Love it! on a calm day it is dead on accurate out to 100 yards easily! Shoot alot of Nutria with it around here. Plus the ammo is much easier to come by then .22 is, and the price difference is getting slimmer. Considering getting the new Savage A17 17HMR. (http://www.coastalfarm.com/product/sava ... tic-rifle/) Shot one of my friends and loved it! Not as hardcore accurate as the Bolt Action, but still very good!

I don't want to be one of your friends! If you're gonna shoot me! :hide: forgive me, I couldn't resist.

All jokes aside, I love shooting mine too. Savage guns have come a long way since they started. Good quality and price IMO. I would shoot my AR more but I need to finish "tricking it out". It only has the iron sights.

Sounds like you're cut from the same cloth! I'll just keep my distance.. perhaps wearing camo is a better idea than wearing hot pink around you guys

I bought a 22 magnum pistol a couple weeks ago. The guy at the gun store said ammo was easy to get. Infact, he had several boxes on hand. I don't know wether to go back and buy it for me, or send it to you guys. I could get some there, if you guys need it.

Brute 23":rpuais7p said:
Caustic Burno":rpuais7p said:
Shot a 2x8 at 70 yards and it blew right through it with a nasty hole on the back side.
For a five dollar rifle I will give it a whirl for a while or 22 mag ammo becomes available.

Thanks but I am afraid you would have to get inline behind a grandson that is drooling all over it.
Thought I would play with it for a while and give it to him.
I just don't see where it performs better than my Hornet.

Caustic Burno":311fk1ga said:
Brute 23":311fk1ga said:
Caustic Burno":311fk1ga said:

Thanks but I am afraid you would have to get inline behind a grandson that is drooling all over it.
Thought I would play with it for a while and give it to him.
I just don't see where it performs better than my Hornet.
after your grandson gets done with it maybe me and brute can flip a coin for it :lol: :lol:

JMJ Farms":2gk617s6 said:
RoppFamilyFarm":2gk617s6 said:
JMJ Farms":2gk617s6 said:
I've got a .17 savage stainless with a bull barrel. Deadly accurate. Decently priced ammo that's usually easy to find. Fun to shoot. I have a couple of .22 mags that IMO are just as good but I can't find cartridges. I guess it depends on what you want to shoot at. They all have a purpose. Friend has a custom built .221 Fireball. Never seen or heard of that caliber before or since. But it's a bad boy for a small caliber.
I have the same thing. Love it! on a calm day it is dead on accurate out to 100 yards easily! Shoot alot of Nutria with it around here. Plus the ammo is much easier to come by then .22 is, and the price difference is getting slimmer. Considering getting the new Savage A17 17HMR. (http://www.coastalfarm.com/product/sava ... tic-rifle/) Shot one of my friends and loved it! Not as hardcore accurate as the Bolt Action, but still very good!

I don't want to be one of your friends! If you're gonna shoot me! :hide: forgive me, I couldn't resist.

All jokes aside, I love shooting mine too. Savage guns have come a long way since they started. Good quality and price IMO. I would shoot my AR more but I need to finish "tricking it out". It only has the iron sights.

Whats up with them and shooting friends i dont think im going to visit their farms

I won one at a Delta Waterfowl banquet several years ago. Iirc, it was a Marlin 93r17. It was a real shooter. Nice little gun. I sent it with my son when he went to TX to school, to shoot jackrabbits with. When my daughter was learning how to shoot her little 20 ga pumpgun, I would set her hulls up on a crossbrace out about 30 or 40 yds or so and shoot them off with the 17. Never got a shot on a coyote while I had it, but walked it in on a groundhog at about 178 steps. The BSA Sweet 17 bdc scope on it was crap.

I looked at a Savage 17 SA the other day at Academy they wanted $400. I looked it over and the felt like a cheap piece of junk sure didn't feel like a $400 gun.

The only positive I can see for the flat little shooter here is ammo is available.
Rarely get over a 100 yard shot most are 50 or so.
It will kill hogs Black Flag dead as I have shot two with it with proper shot placement.
Little Marlin I won is accurate I will give it that.

Brute 23":2o4w6hfz said:
They are good guns. Like every thing else there are probably 10 guns that will do the same thing but what else are you gonna spend money on. Can't take it with you when you go. :D

It's not the price of the gun, but the price of the glass to put on the gun. I feel that the glass makes the rifle.

True Grit Farms":13a17cu9 said:
Brute 23":13a17cu9 said:
They are good guns. Like every thing else there are probably 10 guns that will do the same thing but what else are you gonna spend money on. Can't take it with you when you go. :D

It's not the price of the gun, but the price of the glass to put on the gun. I feel that the glass makes the rifle.

I agree. I finally broke down a few years ago and bought a Trijicon scope. Costs more than the rifle. But wow. What a difference.

Bigfoot":19kbnuay said:
I bought a 22 magnum pistol a couple weeks ago. The guy at the gun store said ammo was easy to get. Infact, he had several boxes on hand. I don't know wether to go back and buy it for me, or send it to you guys. I could get some there, if you guys need it.

How much was he selling the ammo for? 22 mag is near impossible to find around here.

pricefarm":1pm5daee said:
Bigfoot":1pm5daee said:

How much was he selling the ammo for? 22 mag is near impossible to find around here.

I believe $14 for the cheapest box of 50. It went up from there, but he had stacks.

Shot a coyote with it this afternoon that ran off. I heard the bullet hit it. He yelped when it smacked him. Looked like I shot it in the butt.

Latest posts